• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Efffect on intelligence?

Ab33

Bluelighter
Would smoking 4x times weed have been harmful if it was at age 18? I took a large dosage (4.5 g) last november with little to no tolerance.
Could these short time of usages had an impact on my brain developement?

Nah you will be fine its usually only during the use that can you be a bit impaired but stopping your intellect and memory rapidly comes back within a month. Usually long periods of extended use 10-15 years + is where any type of brain development might be impaired somewhat. Many top scientists use to smoke alot of weed during college and came out fine once they quit everybody experiments at that age

I’ve been smoking most of my life - but then I didn’t start with a vengeance until 24. I tried edibles (brownies were the only thing that existed) when I was 13, courtesy of my cousin who was 18-21? Ok, I flunked outta electrical engineering and dropped outta pharmacy but I did graduate in other areas.

Nah, early exposure as long as it isn’t prolonged and heavy probably won’t have much of an effect.

TripSitterNZ - the odd thing is I really didn’t experiment when I was younger; I was caught dead on in Nixon’s war against drugs. In Canada we were exposed to yearly presentations about drugs, the bad types of people who use them and the bad things that happened to drug users. We were taught to identify different types of drugs (samples behind blister plastic bubbles) and report on siblings/narc out others at school. This was by the local police/RCMP. That was kindergarten through grade 6 and then the education/propaganda stopped dead at grade 7.

Tom

As others have said it’s more in long term use, especially if is daily. I’m guilty of that myself so we’ll see how I am once I hit 25-30 but other than shitty short term memory after periods of smoking I’m fine. If it haven’t been using then I have no memory problems

Been smoking near daily since 14. Over 25 years. Have been a few short breaks. I don't think it effects intelligence, but it will effect short term memory. I figure shit out quicker when stoned and come up with creative ideas. Long term memory is fine for stuff engraved into my brain. I know a few brain dead stoners, but they were brain dead since day 1.

Of course imo it would be better to not do any drugs at least until your frontal cortex is developed. The issue with starting so young will be addiction, not really intelligence.

I notice that I have arrived in the kitchen a lot but forgot why.
otherwise it's mostly about controlling your own world, making it slow down to a slowed down synthesis that more closely matches our dreams.

it is not realistic to always be stoned, and it does not really prepare a young person for the chaos they must learn to endure while being present and responsible adults.

I started smoking at 13. At 18 i went to university so it didn't have any effect.
I wouldn't advise it for people under 18 just because I'm not a doctor and don't really know for sure but i know a lot of university graduates who smoked in high school .
My cousin is one of the smartest people I have met and was offered a chemistry position with his professor in his first year. He had university's fighting to get him from high school and he was a major partier.
Even after what I put my brain through i can still do physics equations in my head. I think either you're intelligent or you're not

Salutations Ab33,

Honestly, i feel much more "smarter" when i don't wander around this Wall-of-Shame (and misery)...

Good day, have fun!! ☮

I am hesitant to reply because I'm not a doctor, but I'm under the belief that use of marijuana at a young age can speed up the progression of mental illness.

In regards to intelligence? Don't think there's a correlation.

Some functional short term memory loss with 20 years of smoking. Nothing major, can't remember extended instructions that someone just told me or remember a seven digit number, which varies...ie. sometimes I can and sometimes I can't. Some psychological dependence.

Can play a decent game of Jeopardy.

Last edited:
The thing with cannabis is it doesn't really make you stupid it just makes you lazy. Being lazy can lead to stupid things. If you do smoke daily for a long time and stop some clarity comes back. The main problem with it is you'll accept things you wouldn't otherwise. Since you're lazy you'll neglect doing things like school work or your job. Most pot smokers aren't going to hit the gym everyday and will opt for easy meals instead of cooking.

On brain development: They say now that your brain doesn't fully develop until you're into your early 20s. Throwing drugs in the mix probably has a minor effect on it but most things are reversible if you don't abuse substances. With all the stuff people put into their bodies daily (most food is horrible for you) I wouldn't be very concerned about using pot here and there. It's one of those things where no one really knows for sure. Alcohol is probably worse for you than smoking pot, most medications are probably worse for you than smoking pot too.

The teenage years are when most people start experimenting because they aren't fully developed yet and are more prone to taking risks adults wouldn't attempt. It's that combination of freedom and boldness that gets people into trouble. It's the same reason why 16-20 year old drivers speed so much and don't follow all the rules of the road. If all you've done is smoked a couple of times it is probably nothing to be concerned about. 4-5 grams isn't really a high dose anyway. The quality of pot is better now but when I was 15 my friends and I would go through multiple ounces in a weekend. I was regularly tested for IQ as a child and I never lost any points due to drug use. In fact I've found high IQ people are the ones that have the most problems with drug abuse (opioids, benzos, alcohol mainly). Smart people typically have problems in social situations and use drugs to dumb themselves down to fit in.

Last edited:
what if it's never fully developed and just starts deteriorating from the moment you are born.
there is a bit of truth in having no warranty and finding you are in charge of your own maintenance.

I'm somewhat conflicted over the idea that marijuana use prior to full brain development can be harmful.

If I follow the logical old school of thought that marijuana is a drug and drugs are bad and I lump marijuana in with alcohol in my own mental picture, then I can see how I could be brought into a belief that there is something to fear.

If I drop all preconceived notions and remove the prejudice that I've been 'trained' into believing and consider marijuana a food that promotes the development of dopamine in the brain it seems more concerning to remove refined sugars and starches from a juvenile diet and not worry too much about marijuana as there is no real world evidence of its claimed dangers.

Watch a 7 year old on birthday cake, high as a kite and fully addicted. In real terms there are many things more dangerous in our diets, do you really understand any of the pharmaceuticals you take? Don't panic about it but take time to learn what's going on inside you and what your body needs to feel well vs what you have been told will work. It's easier to make money off lying to you then it is to find real cures, healthy people don't pay for pharmaceuticals.

true about sugar cakes
pure poison with instant mania effects

Salutations YourBaker,

I'm somewhat conflicted over the idea that marijuana use prior to full brain development can be harmful.

Considering how "newbies" get generally "initiated" to cannabis BEFORE any proper habit skills can ever be acquired, eventually (...), e.g. as with alcohol in families where parents care to "educate" their teenagers hoping to help prevent consumption disorders (instead of wait to "fix" them)... All while although thoughtful alcohol education is performed using a glass (to induce an early notion of appropriate dosing) - which for cannabis users typically turns into a 40 oz bottle equivalent knowing that a ~300 mg or so cigarette/"joint" format systematically promotes consumption abuse. In other words if one picks the "bad" side he shall find himself in a situation where DOSING ABUSE is the very 1st aspect of cannabis to be ever experienced, besides further self-vilification under the form of a man-made THC-centric genetic selection (vs "legal" full-CBD if/when lucky to get options...), now complemented by non-detection "legal" Pest Control Product soups actually mixing tiny amounts of foreign contaminants by the dozen to maximize their synergy since it's a known fact the effects don't just add up: they multiply, hence a possibility to design sprays which even top-notch laboratories and a skilled workforce can hardly catch, assuming they're well motivated... Now compare this to the alcohol practices, especially where artisanal home-made production is allowed...

What if a large part of the so-called cannabis "harm" actually resides in a multi-factorial socio-toxic context condemning new adepts to discover & learn cannabis habits the wrong way? Add to that a simple fact of early life: practice makes perfect. I mean, humans need training to do things correctly, like to ride a bike for example, or learn how to play music or just appreciate it, etc. Persistent taboos may be raised by simply expressing my following argument but how rational/reasonable/realistic is that to expect "pure" young persons on their way to adulthood to acquire instant self-control once left alone with a 40 oz bottle and NO GLASS in some clandestine environment (not to mention a self-poisoning 300 mg fatty!)?...

:unsure:

If training is essential for the development of self-control skills then perhaps making cannabis "legal" only after 21-yrs old as in my province necessarily translates as more contaminated statistics IMO, because there are legal adults being asked to switch from pure to plain master over night, many years after they're allowed to drive a car, mary and start a family. Unprepared and stigmatized by public-funded TV shaming adds, etc., etc.

More exactly, if self-control must be acquired through 1st-person experimentation (e.g. including a human right of trial-and-error...) to avoid self-vilification factors associated by a socio-toxic portion of society (and its failed law) to cannabis then there's an obvious paradox right there since the 25 yrs-old limit for learning new skills must also happen to prove valid for cannabis initiation. Which means for some people it's going to be much too late; m'well at least i can tell i didn't have to wait my 21st birthday to learn riding a bike, nor appreciate & play music, quite on the contrary. Ah, and the bike had 2 round wheels, not one triangle + one square... Or it was no piano devoid of any strings inside, etc.

Good day, have fun!! ☮

If I follow the logical old school of thought that marijuana is a drug and drugs are bad and I lump marijuana in with alcohol in my own mental picture, then I can see how I could be brought into a belief that there is something to fear.

If I drop all preconceived notions and remove the prejudice that I've been 'trained' into believing and consider marijuana a food that promotes the development of dopamine in the brain it seems more concerning to remove refined sugars and starches from a juvenile diet and not worry too much about marijuana as there is no real world evidence of its claimed dangers.

Watch a 7 year old on birthday cake, high as a kite and fully addicted. In real terms there are many things more dangerous in our diets, do you really understand any of the pharmaceuticals you take? Don't panic about it but take time to learn what's going on inside you and what your body needs to feel well vs what you have been told will work. It's easier to make money off lying to you then it is to find real cures, healthy people don't pay for pharmaceuticals.
Just no.
Diet doesn’t cure a vast vast amount of conditions. Obviously conditions related to obesity are omitted from that.
You’d be surprised how better educated people are regarding the medication they are taking, the internet has opened up the ability to be more informed and it’s rare I speak to a patient who doesn’t know what their medication is supposed to do and how it does that.

Sugar is not addictive in any way. Duhhhhhhh.

Like wtf, you’re on a drug forum, what’s your DOC? I’d love to know if you know what exactly is in it, I guarantee you do not.

Just no.
Diet doesn’t cure a vast vast amount of conditions. Obviously conditions related to obesity are omitted from that.
You’d be surprised how better educated people are regarding the medication they are taking, the internet has opened up the ability to be more informed and it’s rare I speak to a patient who doesn’t know what their medication is supposed to do and how it does that.

Sugar is not addictive in any way. Duhhhhhhh.

Like wtf, you’re on a drug forum, what’s your DOC? I’d love to know if you know what exactly is in it, I guarantee you do not.
Hilarious....

I won't even bother.

No I won't bother because you've said nothing.

You have said no but to what I can't tell so I assume everything in my well educated and personally informed post.

Then you said sugar isn't addictive so I was pretty sure you were just a troll.

Sugar is as addictive as cocaine. Cocaine is considered slightly less addictive then heroin so sugar would be much more addictive compared to cannabis.

For real statistics you also need to consider not every child will be fed cocaine or cannabis but probably they'll get sugar. Diabetes will kill more people this year in the world then drug related deaths (about 3 million dead world wide yearly) but let's focus on a belief that has no study to show it's true that maybe teen use of marijuana may cause some mental developmental issues.

Truth can be difficult to swallow when you've been spoon fed lies your whole life, just choose to stop spreading them.

SUGAR IS HIGHLY ADDICTIVE AND IT IS THE NUMBER THREE SOURCE OF HUMAN DEATHS, FROM DIABETES NOT INCLUDING OTHER SUGAR RELATED COMPLICATIONS LIKE OBESITY.

Sorry for the caps but look it up and quote your sources here's some of mine.

in summation Yes, just yes. Pay attention to what your putting in your body, if someone is making money off it don't trust them as a source of information.

Steve Jobs died from pancreatic cancer, due to a mostly fruit diet. Sugar kills. Just saying...

OT: Weed is rather benign, I would say @HeadphonesandLSD post was pretty on point.