Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Effexor.

NotAgain!!

Ex-Bluelighter
Peoples' dosages, experiences, how long it took to kick in, withdrawal and any recommendations are required.

Thank you BLers'.

UTSF <-------------- USE THE SEARCH FUCTION

oh oh oh. and wiki ;)

Yeh please use the search engine NotAgain!! If you're seriously after more indepth discussion on venlafaxine then the least you could do is put the effort in to creating a better thought-out thread and doing a tiny bit of research first. You can't start a half-arsed thread like this and be really suprised when no one gives you an answer...

(also research desvenlafaxine)

Nah...Fuck Pristiq! I've read through its Product Information and it sucks balls. Venlafaxine has an alright treatment paramter...CBF using the search engine bra!

Using search or google is usually a lot easier than creating a thread and wasting time. :p

i take 450mg for the last 8 or so years. Dont come off effexor without a doc's instruction as when i run out and have left pills at home and havent had any after two days i start to get what can only be described as electric shock type feeling shooting through my head, and the longer you dont have any the worse it gets.

Canary Love, do you take 450mg everyday or do you just take that much sometimes for a hit/high?

My Fiance was on Effexor a few years ago and now she is on Pristiq, and says its better, she cleans all day on it, i love it...

We were both on Effexor, and took pills together and there was no problems there, maybe did not feel it as strong as you would if you were not on antidepressants. No scat the next day feeling quite good.

Canary Love, do you take 450mg everyday or do you just take that much sometimes for a hit/high?

He would be taking that amount everyday. You can't take a higher dose of effexor to get a high/hit, although I guess that depends what your definition of high is.

Effexor completely ruins MDMA. No question about that...perhaps if you were only on a low dose for a short time it wouldn't be an issue. Pills with speed and other goodies (pipes) you will still get some effect from.

Myself - 150mg and then 225 for about 6 months.

I didn't really need it and couldn't really notice any benefits so obviously wasn't a good idea for me. No idea why I stayed on it so long.

The withdrawal is no fun. Brain zaps, as explained above like electric shocks going through your brain (when you move your eyes) Dizziness and feeling like crap.

Didn't really improve my mood, or make me feel any better. Made me more flat if anything, uninspired, didn't enjoy music, tired...that's all I can think of at the moment.

Sounds pretty obvious but if it isn't doing anything for you after a month or two, you're probably better talking to your doctor about getting off it rather than staying on it hoping that it'll start working.

My Fiance was on Effexor a few years ago and now she is on Pristiq, and says its better, she cleans all day on it, i love it...

Is she getting any negative effects from it? Venlafaxine can cause mania like effects I believe.

In the European Union desvenlafaxine succinate has not been approved for any indication.

In 2008, Wyeth withdrew its application for Ellefore, the product under review for treatment of major depressive disorder. The reasons given by Wyeth, and comments regarding the findings of the reviewing agency are provided in a "question and answer" format document.[5]

The European Medicines Agency explained that
the [Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use] had some concerns and was of the provisional opinion that Ellefore could not have been approved for the treatment of major depressive disorder [and] overall, the effectiveness of Ellefore had not been shown convincingly.

In relation to its parent substance, venlafaxine, desvenlafaxine seemed to be less effective with no advantages in terms of safety and tolerability. Id.
The Withdrawal Assessment Report,[6] which summarizes the data submitted by the applicant and the opinion of the reviewing agency further noted, at page 19, that

It is curious that the results of all flexible dose studies show a small and non-significant difference from placebo. One would expect the flexible dose studies to produce more positive results, because doses are suited to individual needs rather than being forced, as they are, in the fixed dose studies. Furthermore, flexible dose study mirror to a greater extent the clinical situation. The applicant attributes the failure of the flexible dose studies to the high proportion of failed studies that is usually seen in depression studies but does not address the systematic nature of the difference in study results between the fixed and the flexible dose studies.Id.

The Benefit Risk Assessment section of the Withdrawal Assessment Report begins at p. 26 by noting that

"Desvenlafaxine is the main metabolite of venlafaxine. As venlafaxine is already approved for the treatment of [Major Depressive Disorder] and as venlafaxine is almost entirely transformed into desvenlafaxine, it would be expected that efficacy and safety of desvenlafaxine in the treatment of MDD would be very similar to that of venlafaxine. Id."

Furthermore,
"Efficacy of desvenlafaxine would be expected based on the fact that venlafaxine is an antidepressant with established efficacy and the fact that desvenlafaxine is the active metabolite of venlafaxine. However the efficacy results are far from impressive. The evidence with respect to long-term efficacy is considered lacking. The dose used in the randomised withdrawal study does not support long-term efficacy in the doses that are indicated in the SPC (50 mg). In addition, the definition of relapse that was used in the long-term study allows for relapses that might be due to deteriorations that are not related to depression. Therefore, the data of the long-term study need to be re-analysed with an acceptable definition of relapse."Id.

Similarly, a parallel application for approval of another desvenalfaxine succinate product as a treatment for vasomotor symptoms associated with menopause ("hot flashes") was withdrawn by Wyeth under similar circumstances in 2008. The proposed product contained the same active compound at the same dose as "Ellefore" but this application was for "Pristiq".
The Committee for Medicinal Products for Human Use found,[7] that

"meaningful benefit of Pristiqs had not been demonstrated, when considered alongside the safety of the medicine in postmenopausal women, including side effects after stopping treatment."
Complete reporting from the European Medicines Agency regarding the withdrawal of Wyeth's application for Ellefore, including multiple language versions of the Q and A document, is freely available for public review.[8]
Complete reporting from the European Medicines Agency regarding the withdrawal of Wyeth's application for Pristiqs, including the Withdrawal Assessment Report as well as multiple language versions of the Q and A document, is also freely available for public review.[9]

From - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desvenlafaxine#Approval_status

Not saying effexor isn't worth a go...might be perfect for some people but from the studies I've looked at it's not a massive amount better than placebo (similar to all other anti-depressants) Again, anti-depressants really help some people out so take that for what it's worth.

no i take 450mg everyday. Im a chick by the way :) there is no high from antidepressants. yes mdma doesnt work on efexor.

Don't waste your time.

Research "Protracted Withdrawal Syndrome."

CBT, Psychoanalysis, meditation, or just plain ole' fucking' jogging would do you better.

This is 5 years venlafaxine history talking. There's a better way.

^ Agreed, In my opinion you should only try effexor after you've tried other meds without success and only in combination with therapy (CBT, ACT, or at least seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist). I was on effexor for a few years (225mg). It was the worst antidepressant I've tried by a long shot! The side effects were far worse than zoloft, lexapro or remeron: night sweats, mania, complete change of personality, brain-zaps, libido bluntening, and nightmare withdrawals. It was also very unforgiving if you missed a dose or two.

I did lose a fair bit of weight on it though and at first it helped with anxiety. In the long run I felt it wasn't worth it though and I'm glad I got off it.

We did not feel much on effexor, i got the same feelings as you quite unmotivated actually, and when you come off it the dizziness is terrible, when you move your head or eyes shift in another direction. We were only on 75mg at most, sometimes the 37.5mg. We did not take any the day or even before if we were going to take pingas, most worked but they were not clean MDMA, when we found clean MDMA we felt nothing really, was a waste cause we found some nice beans.

Does MDMA work if you are on Pristiq? Got some beans today and want to know.

^ I'd say you'd want to be off all SSRI/SNRIs for at least a month before taking MDMA to get a worthwhile experience out of it, Pristiq included.

Basic answer is no. It's very similar to effexor.

Apparently some people do get effects from pills on antidepressants like effexor/pristiq, but from what I've read only if they've been on a low dose for a short amount of time.

I did notice a tiny tiny feeling from MDMA while on effexor, but it wasn't anything more than maybe a 1/2 of a beer would do for example. 1/2 of the same pill taken when off effexor was mind blowing, heavy munt city type deal (crumbly beige A & V's which might have been MDA/MDMA)

Should probably mention pills - MDMA are different things. Especially nowadays, every pill I've tried for the last few years has been underwhelming, all of them seemed to have either speed or another substance present. In this case, if you're on an antidepressant you'd probably feel the other substances and if you're not experienced with MDMA you probably won't notice much difference.

Probably better to lay off the pills if you're having to be on an antidepressant anyway ;)

edit - belarki managed to sum it up pretty nicely.

I took effexor for 3 days before I had to quit due to the severity of the side effects. I couldn't sleep for 3 days, felt like shit, felt overstimulated and not in a good way, and it started to give me suicidal ideation.

I took zoloft for 6 months. It was much better, but still caused weight gain, no libido, blunted emotions and withdrawal symptoms. I hate SSRIs,SNRIs and would never take them again unless I had severe depression.

Luckily I no longer suffer from the problems I had in the past that caused me to take anti depressants.

We did not feel much on effexor, i got the same feelings as you quite unmotivated actually, and when you come off it the dizziness is terrible, when you move your head or eyes shift in another direction. We were only on 75mg at most, sometimes the 37.5mg. We did not take any the day or even before if we were going to take pingas, most worked but they were not clean MDMA, when we found clean MDMA we felt nothing really, was a waste cause we found some nice beans.

so ive been on Effexor for the past 3 days, but didnt take my pill today (its the 37.5mg XR)
do you think i could take mdma today? 3 days isnt enough for it to build up and block the effects right?

Is Pristiq any good fellas? It's only indicated for MDD, whereas Effexor is indicated for MDD, GAD, SAD, PD. I know that Pristiq's (desvenlafaxine) is the more potent version of the active major metabolite of Effexor, but does it provide the same benefits?

Cheers guys,
Crab

Fyasko, i would take it, you will feel it, we did feel it most of the time but not like you would if not on antidepressants.

My girl has been on Pristiq for about 2 weeks now, and we had some beans the other night and she felt it, was not as munted as me but she still was fucked with the help of some soda bulbs. Oh the high when you're peaking and you have a bulb,...OMG....

I heard Pristiq just by passes your liver and kidneys and is better for you? Rather than Effexor.

The withdrawals are the worst possible feeling in the world. It's easily on par with withdrawal from hard opiates in its severity, duration and the amount you will wish you were dead. :X

The nausea is so unbelievably strong :|, but even if you throw up it doesn't go away. I have heard the only way to stop it is marijuana. Sadly for people like me with no access you are debilitated, you can't do anything except sit there with your head in your hands thinking about how sick you are! And from research this condition of despair lasts for two whole bloody weeks!!!

Let's put it this way: I'm a student and have run out of money and can't afford my Effexor (150mg/daily) and am starting withdrawals (two days off it). Tomorrow I'm going to have to grab whatever valuables I can and go to a pawn shop and sell them so I can stop the withdrawal symptoms. The only other time I have been forced to do this was *very* heavily withdrawing from opiates! THAT is how bad the experience is!!

And of course when the doctor puts you on the medication they say *absolutely nothing* (!) about how you will have to be Superman to bloody well get off it ever again and just how severe ones physiological dependence on it becomes. If they had bothered to mention how severe the withdrawal was I wouldn't have gone near it, but instead they write scripts for this crap like candy and talk about it like it's some harmless and mild medication.

My experience of Effexor (ie: not during withdrawal but just day-to-day use): brain-zaps (can be very unpleasant), dizziness, NAUSEA (varies considerably, especially with heavy physical activity), spaced out feeling, headaches, complete lack of motivation, entire loss of libido (sex seems entirely pointless and not worthy of pursuing), etc. If you miss a dose (pretty much unavoidable at times) you will sorely regret it.

PERSONAL OPINION: Stay the hell away from Effexor. I talked to another GP once and he calls it "Side-effexor", and with good reason!!

:!:!:!:!:!

Last edited: