• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Effexor (Venlafaxine) + Propranolol anyone?

bladeerunner

Greenlighter
Has anyone here ever tried to combine Effexor and Propranolol? I'm mostly interested in the effects this might have on anxiety. I would also appreciate if someone could explain how a beta blocker will interact with a SNRI.

Has anyone here ever tried to combine Effexor and Propranolol? I'm mostly interested in the effects this might have on anxiety. I would also appreciate if someone could explain how a beta blocker will interact with a SNRI.
I don't know much about Effexor, but I was given propranolol for stress/anxiety. It worked for maybe 2 weeks, but I shortly after started getting bad chest pains so I stopped taking propranolol. Wait for someone/others who may know how this combo goes- Good luck man.

Last edited:
I don't know much about Effexor, but I was given propranolol for stress/anxiety. It worked for maybe 2 weeks, but I shortly after started getting bad chest pains so I stopped taking propranolol. Wait for someone/others who may know how this combo goes- Good luck man.

Okay, I have also used propranolol before to treat my anxiety and hand tremors. I've only mixed it with Hydroxyzine and Buspirone, didn't give me any effect since I was in benzo WD. I know someone who's using it with Prozac (SSRI), they had to take an electrocardiography test before the doc would prescribe it. Don't know how well it's working for them though.

BTW I'm on Effexor 75mg/day
Imma bout to just look up that med you're taking (Effexor) and see what I can do to help you out. I know about Prozac and had horrible WD's from it; the doctor took me off as soon as I shown signs of suicidal/homicidal thoughts/acts and 4 years of taking 80mg of Prozac gave me psychosis for some odd reasoning. I guess I'm one of those people who can't use any anti-depressants, and the doctors agreed. I'm now on 1mg of xanax a day, with 1 dose of 15mg temazepam at night, as well as my pain meds I have to take due to a few accidents that happened and never got treated till recently.

[Here's some info I found for you man]- In brief: Effexor/Inderal - Your symptoms might relate to the effexor, however, Propranolol is safe to take with Effexor as it slightly lowers your blood pressure & might help the headaches, but some sedation is likely.

Last edited:
[Here's some info I found for you man]- In brief: Effexor/Inderal - Your symptoms might relate to the effexor, however, Propranolol is safe to take with Effexor as it slightly lowers your blood pressure & might help the headaches, but some sedation is likely.

Thanks bro. I'll ask my psychiatrist for Inderal/Pranolol. She will never give me any benzos due to my horrible past of abusing it. I can back on Valium via my doc, but the memory loss problems will get in my way, especially if I'm going to university this fall. I need to keep my anxiety low and my mind sharp.

Thanks bro. I'll ask my psychiatrist for Inderal/Pranolol. She will never give me any benzos due to my horrible past of abusing it. I can back on Valium via my doc, but the memory loss problems will get in my way, especially if I'm going to university this fall. I need to keep my anxiety low and my mind sharp.
Inderol is the same as propanol man.

I honestly don't see why it would be a problem; I'm actually currently on extended-release metoprolol following a heart attack and it's not a huge concern. Also, as far as I can tell venlafaxine doesn't affect the adrenergic receptors at all, so you should be OK. The big risk with nonselective beta blockers like propanolol comes when you mix them with chemicals that affect both alpha and beta adrenaline receptors; a nonselective beta blocker will prevent the chemical from causing vasodilation (which is controlled through beta receptors), while allowing it to cause vasoconstriction (which is controlled through alpha receptors); that can cause nasty blood pressure spikes that have been reported to cause strokes in a few people.

I've personally have had spikes in my blood pressure due to taking propananol. Just another reasoning I stopped taking it.