• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Effexor BAD

relaxation001

Greenlighter
Dr. wanted me to try effexor for my anxiety. I finally agreed. OMG!!!! HORRIBLE!!! I tried for 2 days until I was too sick to move, to get out of bed, to eat or drink anything. I became so dehydrated, I had to go to the ER to get IV fluids along with zofran and a big dose of xanax. NO MORE of that crap! I"m sticking with my benzos for anxiety. I sometimes need one everyday and sometimes not.
Every AD I have tried has made me so sick from the side effects but effexor has been the worst by far. I'm not interested in trying anymore. The benzos work for me and no side effects. EVERYTHING is addicting if you think about it. The AD's are hell to come off of so any Dr. that gives me a load of crap talk about benzo addiction, can go to hell as far as I'm concerned.
Quality of life is important to me. If I can't do the things I want to do, why live?
I'll see my Dr. in a couple of weeks and we'll be discussing this. He doesn't know yet that I have stopped the effexor. But he can't expect me to continue if I end up in the ER. My husband had to carry me to the car and into the hospital.
The nausea was so bad, I'm still recovering from that. Still weak and woozy but getting better. Took a xanax last night and didn't need anything today. I just need to regain my strength back. And HOPE this dr. agrees to keep me on my benzo.

I am sorry you have had such a negative reaction Venlafaxine (effexor).

I take Venlafaxine everyday for severe depression for years without any side effects.

I used to be on alprazolam (Xanax) 3 mg a day for panic attacks and general anxiety.

The issue is that over time (years) alprazolam became less and less effective. Also, im pretty sure I am missing alot of memory from those years.

Is it possible you could combine a ssri with low dose of alprazolam to get through the initial side effects.

Or, possibly look into cbt (cognitive behavioral therapy) for your anxiety.

Have you tried buspar or hydroxyzine?

I took mega doses of xanax and valium while trying the effexor to NO effect. It was just bad. I am checking into talk therapy if I can find someone. I have extremely crappy insurance and it's an HMO so I'm real limited on help. I do have phenegren and it works. Just have never discussed with Dr. if I can take this daily if needed. I will take it at night if I'm a bit jittery as it really knocks me out and I only take a tiny amount. I have been on valium for 12 years and my dose has never needed to be upped. But something happened with my hormones (I'm on HRT) that along with a traumatic experience 9 months ago kind of did me in. So if I can get into therapy for the bad experience and get hormones balanced, hopefully I can get back where I was. Valium or xanax as needed. But NO MORE AD's. Someone can hold a gun to my head and I will not take one. Some people can tolerate them and some cannot. I am one that cannot. Buspar was pretty bad. Brain zaps all day and night - I wanted to pound my head into a wall.

Umm, did you have a question or something? I mean if you just wanna talk about your life or something that's fine. I just wonder if perhaps a blog either here on bluelight or somewhere else might be more appropriate.

Personally I wonder how much of your symptoms are nocebo effect. Certainly antidepressants can have negative side effects in some people. But this sounds pretty severe. I'm sure you're having a real negative reaction, but your expectation of it could be making it even worse.

At the very least, as you said, ADs can be life saving for some and ineffective or worse for others.

As for your doctor...
Hospitals will start an IV for pretty much any reason at all. It doesn't mean anything in itself. And your point about addiction potential is quite alarming. The dangers of addiction with benzos aren't the same as with antidepressants. And your disagreement with that puts you at greater risk because it suggests you might not appreciate the danger.

My point is, much of this might not be particularly compelling to a competent doctor. I could see them keeping you on benzos for the time being, but it's a dangerous road to go down in the long term.

Benzo dependence will make whatever you felt like from the effexor seem like a walk in the park.

Good luck hun. I'm sorry if I come across sounding negative, I really do wish you the best. I just fear where your benzo use might lead you the way you're going.

I'm not saying to just keep taking the effexor and live with it. But I am saying perhaps you should continue searching for less addictive ways of managing your anxiety. Other antidepressants, say of difference classes. CBT and other nonpharmacutical options.

And if you are going to stay on benzos in the long term, I'd strongly suggest keeping it to say, an increased dose of Valium and only using Xanax for panic attacks.

Apart from the risks of addiction and withdrawal, if your anxiety is this severe, you also don't want to become too dependant on benzos for them to keep working effectively. It's an option youll want to keep open.

Good luck hun, I really mean that.