• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Effexor and ritalin abuse

BanE

Bluelighter
Hi guys, my doc recently put me on Effexor XR 150mg. I occasionally go on Ritalin binges (1800mgs for 4-5days).

Is Effexor XR 150mg safe enough for me to take while on the binges? I'm worried of Serotonin Syndrome or maybe other worse interactions

Thanks in advance guys!

The biggest problem between the two is the lowering of the seizure threshold. While there is no exact listed number that this can happen at, when pushing 1.8 grams of Ritalin over 4-5days, I would imagine that risk increases appreciably.

The biggest problem between the two is the lowering of the seizure threshold. While there is no exact listed number that this can happen at, when pushing 1.8 grams of Ritalin over 4-5days, I would imagine that risk increases appreciably.

Many thanks for the reply Jekyl, besides this would the ssri and snri properties of Effexor XR cause any other non desirable effects? The one I most concerned on is serotonin syndrome

Has any bluelighters binged on ritalin while on Effexor before? Would love to hear your valuable feedback should i choose to go-ahead.

TIA!

Yes SS is an issue and seems to effect older populations the most, but at the levels you've mentioned both SS and seizures are plausible. I really can't speak to the normal side effect profile of Ritalin as it was established at much lower doses. I don't feel comfortable in telling people to cease taking AD's even temporarily and while conservative amounts of the two would probably bring about few if any problems, taking nearly 2 grams of methylphenidate + Effexor is uncharted territory. I would highly advise against it but if it's a foregone decision then maybe trying to flush out the effexor a few days prior would be the lesser of two evils.