• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Edibles with leaves + crushed buds?

Benp2312

Greenlighter
Is it possible to do so? Im not sure on the THC %, i get stoned from 3 or so bowls from it. Not great quality but i get for £2.50 a g. Would it be wiser to use actual buds? Not looking to make a huge amount, just enough for 6 doses? If so, how much should i use?

You can use leaves and small stems when making cannabutter - how much you will need depends on you really so you will have to judge that yourself. Remember that edibles can take a long time to start working so be patient.

Yeah, i used to get leaf and trim off a grower friend solely for the purpose of making edibles.
Frankly, i was often surprised how effective and potent leaf can be. Granted, it was from very well grown weed with good genetics - but why waste perfectly good bud when you can do the same thing with leaf and trim?
It's basically turning a byproduct of cultivation into good drugs :)
I'm always happy to take people's leaf and trim off their hands!

As bear states though, its best to start low and experiment - because trust me, overdosing on edibles is a horribly drawn out unpleasant experience.
I found that a tablespoon or two of dried and crushed leaf was a good dose when i made cannabis milk. YMMV.

You can use leaves and small stems when making cannabutter - how much you will need depends on you really so you will have to judge that yourself. Remember that edibles can take a long time to start working so be patient.
so what would you reccommend for me to start with?

Just dose low and see how it affects you.
Most people make cannabutter in large batches. You can make it as strong as you wish - everyone i know put a few ounces (of leaf and trim) into a batch, but it really depends what you're working with.
I used to use strong cannabutter, and a teaspoon was an ample dose. The less food you consume it with, the better and more efficient it is, because the cannabinoids have less to compete with as your stomach digests it.
This is why i always boil weed in milk when i make edibles nowadays. It's much easier to regulate my dose.

Just dose low and see how it affects you.
Most people make cannabutter in large batches. You can make it as strong as you wish - everyone i know put a few ounces (of leaf and trim) into a batch, but it really depends what you're working with.
I used to use strong cannabutter, and a teaspoon was an ample dose. The less food you consume it with, the better and more efficient it is, because the cannabinoids have less to compete with as your stomach digests it.
This is why i always boil weed in milk when i make edibles nowadays. It's much easier to regulate my dose.
So should i start with 5 bowls worth?

Have you tried edibles before ? The high is very different than that of smoking as it takes a long time to take effect and then it builds and builds. If you dose too high then it can be a horrible feeling that lasts for hours and can be very intense.

The best way to do this would be make a batch of either butter or milk and remember how many 'bowls' you used - then dose by the bowl full to gauge its effect. After that it's just a case of increasing your initial dose to get you where you want to be. (if you use say 10 bowls full into half stick of butter, that butter has 10 bowls so divide it up accordingly - half contains 5, half that contains 2.5 etc)

Remember that it can take several hours before it starts to work so don't be tempted to dose again. If your initial attempt fails double up next time.

Just found this which may be helpful -

First, identify the percentage of THC in the strain you’re cooking with. Catalano says on average, most strains have about 10 percent THC. Strains that have 15-20 percent THC are above average, and those with 21 percent THC or higher are exceptionally strong. If you can’t find online plant breeding information or cannabinoid lab tests for the strain, estimate at 10 percent THC.

You are starting out with a quarter ounce of marijuana, that’s 7 grams. An eighth would be 3.5 grams.

Every 1 gram of cannabis bud has 1,000mg of dry weight. If a strain has about 10% THC, ten percent of 1,000mg would be 100mg. So for cooking or baking at home, it is safe to assume that a gram of cannabis contains at least 100mg THC.

Using Catalano’s dosing measurement formula, you do the math accordingly to find out how much THC per serving. Take the amount of ground marijuana, convert it to milligrams and divide it by the recipe yield to determine a per-serving dose of THC. A starting dosage for beginners is 5 milligrams per serving (the Colorado-mandated serving size for marijuana-infused edibles is 10mg THC). Three grams of ground marijuana equals 300mg THC. 300mg divided by the recipe yield, (a classic cookie recipe makes 60 cookies) equals 5mg per cookie. If you want to be even more cautious with your at-home cannabutter cooking, 1.5 grams (150mg) marijuana divided into a 60-cookie recipe will yield 2.5mg a serving.

Last edited:
Have you tried edibles before ? The high is very different than that of smoking as it takes a long time to take effect and then it builds and builds. If you dose too high then it can be a horrible feeling that lasts for hours and can be very intense.

The best way to do this would be make a batch of either butter or milk and remember how many 'bowls' you used - then dose by the bowl full to gauge its effect. After that it's just a case of increasing your initial dose to get you where you want to be. (if you use say 10 bowls full into half stick of butter, that butter has 10 bowls so divide it up accordingly - half contains 5, half that contains 2.5 etc)

Remember that it can take several hours before it starts to work so don't be tempted to dose again. If your initial attempt fails double up next time.

Just found this which may be helpful -

First, identify the percentage of THC in the strain you’re cooking with. Catalano says on average, most strains have about 10 percent THC. Strains that have 15-20 percent THC are above average, and those with 21 percent THC or higher are exceptionally strong. If you can’t find online plant breeding information or cannabinoid lab tests for the strain, estimate at 10 percent THC.

You are starting out with a quarter ounce of marijuana, that’s 7 grams. An eighth would be 3.5 grams.

Every 1 gram of cannabis bud has 1,000mg of dry weight. If a strain has about 10% THC, ten percent of 1,000mg would be 100mg. So for cooking or baking at home, it is safe to assume that a gram of cannabis contains at least 100mg THC.

Using Catalano’s dosing measurement formula, you do the math accordingly to find out how much THC per serving. Take the amount of ground marijuana, convert it to milligrams and divide it by the recipe yield to determine a per-serving dose of THC. A starting dosage for beginners is 5 milligrams per serving (the Colorado-mandated serving size for marijuana-infused edibles is 10mg THC). Three grams of ground marijuana equals 300mg THC. 300mg divided by the recipe yield, (a classic cookie recipe makes 60 cookies) equals 5mg per cookie. If you want to be even more cautious with your at-home cannabutter cooking, 1.5 grams (150mg) marijuana divided into a 60-cookie recipe will yield 2.5mg a serving.

Ive not tried them before no, i have been smoking most days for the past 6 months though

Ive not tried them before no, i have been smoking most days for the past 6 months though

There a very different experience but the duration is also very different - longer to come up, longer duration, this is why we suggest start off low.

Good luck :)

Yeah i had some edibles nearly 24 hours ago and i'm still feeling a bit high :)