• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

edibles are psychedelic experiences

Yellow-Pudding

Greenlighter
does anyone get psychedelic experience from eating marijuana edibles, i don't think i recall any psychedelic effect from smoking/vaporizing weed. my two recent weed edibles, i had profound psychedelic experience in my mindset for a few hours.

I don't know how to scientifically describe this exactly, but I know that when you ingest the weed via your digestive system, directly consuming the THC through your stomach lining, that somehow the body is able to break down the weed relative to your brain's cannabinoid receptors so that you actually do get a completely different experience from eating weed than you would from smoking/vaporizing it. I think that the psychoactive properties of marijuana, which are always there, are just much more emphasized and able to be felt by your brain when you digest the weed. People can correct me if they think I'm wrong but this isn't in your head, OP, marijuana is felt differently when eaten in appropriately prepared edibles than when you just smoke it up. Also, none of the weed's high is wasted when you digest the weed directly, so automatically you're going to be having a technically stronger high than you would when you smoke it - it's not like you're able to inhale every last bit of smoke and ash that gets combusted from the act of smoking the weed.

Your liver converts it to 11 Hydroxy THC or something like that. So you get more of one particular metabolite whereas when you smoke it you bypass the liver.

It kind of always feels (somewhat) psychedelic to me. Sativas more than indicas.

I think weed is a pretty potent psychedelic, for me anyway. Almost every time I smoked in the first couple years of smoking I would get a pretty intense experience. I would smoke 1 - 3 times a week, but my body just seems to be much more sensitive to weed.
I don't think its just the extra metabolites that the liver creates from eating that give you a psychedelic experience. I believe it's because your body is getting all of the thc (and other cannabinoids) in high amounts and all at once. Much more than you can actually smoke at once.

Edible cannabis brings out the psychedelic-ness because of the metabolites and duration.

I think technically 'Psychedelic' means activation of 5ht2a, 5ht2b, and 5ht2c simultaneously. I don't think marijuana does that, but it can feel quite psychedelic depending on a variety of factors, probably mostly set and setting. Edibles seem to be more trippy.

^ the word psychedelic doesnt mean anything brain-chemistry-wise, although traditional psychs like tryptamines, LSD and phenethylamines do all have 5ht2 activation in common.

cannabis is well known to have psychedelic effects, as are many other drugs, like empathogens, dissociatives and certain other 'random' substances.

but technically yes, you're right, "real" psychedelics all work in the brain the same way, more or less.

I had a somewhat psychedelic experience the first time that I ate edibles. It was a mini blueberry muffin, I couldn't even taste the marijuana, yet I witnessed colorful fire balls shooting out from the street lamps while I was in the car on the freeway.

I have low-level psychedelic experiences from cannabis all the time. Lights with halos, strange thought patterns, etc... No breathing walls or apparent motion in inanimate objects but close I guess. Not sure what else would make it more psychedelic without actually tripping.

And for the record I eat edibles most days, sometimes more than others. The longer I go without getting high though the more likely the experience is to be somewhat psychedelic, especially if I go from sober to edible/dabbed.