• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Eating several unhealthy things daily

Status
Not open for further replies.
crystalcallas said:
^Ditto.
I completely cut out flour products/white stuff/refined sugars from my diet for roughy 6 months. I never felt better nor 'cleaner'.

Are you by chance a type O blood type? If so, that makes sense. When I can, I follow the blood type diet. ( http://www.dadamo.com/ )

Chubba75 said:
So you honestly calculate your marconutrients into your diet? Do you plan your complete amino acid profile for the week? Do you provide information on both short and long acting sachharides?

Nah Im not that overzealous.....I am only interested in the carbohydrate/sugar content , monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat and other icky things!

Chubba75 said:
1700 calories!!?

You people are starving your bodies... get eating!

I'm 137lbs (just weighed then) and I eat 4500 calories daily, very simple.

I'd like to see a sample of your daily diet.

I eat close to 100% raw... I don't cook any of my fruit, vegetables, salad, fish and sometimes red meat. This gives me 110% of my vitamins and minerals, keeps me 110% full, costs me a shithole of money though.

That is awesome. I try to eat raw fruit and veggies all the time but I love my meat and dairy too much to give it up. What I do is follow the rules of trophology or food combining, so that I end up digesting my food properly. Raw living food = the best!

Chubba75 - I'm curious to see what your daily diet is, too! I've always tried to keep a watch on my caloric intake, and even when I dip lower to compensate for not working out, I never seem to lose. I'm definitely going to do some research as soon as I'm done with my algebra final. Thanks!

Chubba, I'm a biochemistry major. I've studied metabolism til my eyes bled. And I can conclusively say that there are some of us for whom 1700 calories is plenty. That's all I need to maintain a static weight with no exercise. I bump it up to about 2200 when I'm dancing and/or weight training. I'm a tiny girl though. That's the thing. I'm only 5'4", and i'm 135 pounds, 27% body fat. I don't need a whole hell of a lot of calories to prevent going into ketosis. And take a look at my pics, I'm certainly not starving :D

Chubba, I'm a biochemistry major. I've studied metabolism til my eyes bled. And I can conclusively say that there are some of us for whom 1700 calories is plenty. That's all I need to maintain a static weight with no exercise. I bump it up to about 2200 when I'm dancing and/or weight training. I'm a tiny girl though. That's the thing. I'm only 5'4", and i'm 135 pounds, 27% body fat. I don't need a whole hell of a lot of calories to prevent going into ketosis. And take a look at my pics, I'm certainly not starving
I personally think you're backing me up.

So take into account you can eat 1700 when static and maintain weight, factor in exercise and you're already over 2000 (which is a number that a large majority of weight loss groups would freak out at... they like the 1500 cal thing).

Now factor in you're female, you're reasoanbly short, you're quite light... and my personal thoughts that the majority of the world don't exercise enough (I do 60+ minutes a day).

So is there any logic to these 1500 calorie diets if the person is.
1. Of reasonable height
2. Of reasonable weight
3. Is exercising regularly

You got 6 foot men that are doing 1 hour of exercise everyday... anyone that does biochemistry (or even just put 2+2 together, if a small female eats 2200cal as you say) would realise this just isn't on.

^Yeah, but you said 1700 is way too low. If I want to lose weight, I have to eat ONLY 1700 AND exercise.

Chubba75 said:
So is there any logic to these 1500 calorie diets if the person is.
1. Of reasonable height
2. Of reasonable weight
3. Is exercising regularly

Well, if you are trying to lose weight it does. I'm working out, but because I want to lose quite a bit, I'm making more of a deficit by lowering my caloric intake as well. If I notice a problem with my energy levels or reach my goal weight, I'll go up another hundred calories or so, or to a level where I can maintain.

I do know a few people who eat less than 1500 calories all the time. Doesn't seem to make them lose weight or hurt them in any way...

Well I think we're all on a different wavelength here.

All I subsribed to is hard exercise and a good diet (lots of raw food). I don't believe in "losing weight", rather then building a strong physical body. For this you need calories, you need good quality protein and a wide variety of foods.

All I'm saying is these restriction diets are stupid, flat out. The idea of just losing weight for a number... but not for the physical strength and energy, seems backwards.

Eat big, eat healthy and train hard. Every single active person I know that plays sport, goes to the gym or does other physical hobbies eats 3000+ calories and maintains a strong, healthy body. I've personaly seen plenty of females on 3000+ calorie diets that maintain a great figure.

Chubba75 said:

All I subsribed to is hard exercise and a good diet (lots of raw food). I don't believe in "losing weight", rather then building a strong physical body. For this you need calories, you need good quality protein and a wide variety of foods.

All I'm saying is these restriction diets are stupid, flat out. The idea of just losing weight for a number... but not for the physical strength and energy, seems backwards.

I agree with you, starving to get to a specific number on the scale is retarded. I've got friends who won't stop moving or eat over 1100 calories until they reach 112.25 pounds. They already look amazing. Saddens me... :(

But in my case... I had a knee injury and have gained 95 pounds since then because I've been too afraid of re-injuring myself to really get into anything more serious than walking. I've lost 15 pounds in the past two years by eating less crap, keeping my calories low, and walking, but I've hit a plateau. If I can lose at least 70 pounds, I will have reached the high end of the healthy weight range for my height (5'4") and then I'll stop worrying about what the scale says and go by how I feel because I am not aiming to just lose weight; I want to be healthy and fit. Period. But being able to set a goal and mini-goals along the way is a motivator for a lot of us in this position. And the only way I know to reach them that works is by eating less and working harder.

I just don't see how a fatass like me can eat 3000 calories of anything and still lose any weight. I'd have to be working out at least 3 hours a day! Working full time and going to school part time just won't allow that.

No. All I can say is everybody is different. I get what you're saying and I think so does everybody else here. Good for you for finding what works for you. As for everybody else, it may not be the same. What works for you doesnt mean it will work for others. To each their own.

Where the hell is your diet? Dont wanna share huh? ;)

Quote:

No.
Don't be too sure :)
Where the hell is your diet? Dont wanna share huh?
Think about it.

A diet to me is an idealology, not a specific set of foods... and I've already explained my viewpoint :)

>>
But in my case... I had a knee injury and have gained 95 pounds since then because I've been too afraid of re-injuring myself to really get into anything more serious than walking.>>

Cycling? Eliptical?

>>
All I subsribed to is hard exercise and a good diet (lots of raw food). >>

Perhaps calories are often less efficiently absorbed from raw foods (in general).

ebola

ebola? said:
Cycling? Eliptical?

Sorry... I should have elaborated. I've tried just about everything lower impact, but even with something like that my knee usually comes away from a workout feeling like the screws are ripping out of their holes. It sucks. I know if my quads and hams were strong, I wouldn't have the pain so much, but squats and lunges cause those scary sharp pains and I REALLY don't want to re-injure myself and have to have that surgery again. So I wig on it and back off. A trainer would be really handy, but since I just bought a house, I'm still trying to get back on track with my finances. And I just got into an accident today, so I have that to deal with on top of everything else (but that's another thread). ANYWAY. I know I'll get there if I just keep going slow and steady. I just bought a new bike, so I'm sure that will be easier on my knee and I'll be able to work out for longer.

I stay away from all types of sweets as my diet that I will always use. I will drink a case of beer in a night though. LOL You should start trying to get on a weekly workout routine, such as running for 20 minutes a day, and than increasing your time and speed as you progress.

I think you will eventually get over the tempation of eating sweets and high calorie foods if you start working out allot, which is what happened to me. Good luck.

Sorry if I repeated somthing said earlier, I didnt read any other posts.

Disco Stu said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070511/ap_on_he_me/thin_fat_people_9

"According to Bell, people who are fat on the inside are essentially on the threshold of being obese. They eat too many fatty, sugary foods — and exercise too little to work it off — but they are not eating enough to actually be fat"

Short answer: yes, it is bad.

That article actually got me pretty scared as I'm probably one of those people (although I do have a low BMI)! When I originally posted this, I was more worried about gaining weight than I was about my overall health to be honest, but after reading that I have a new motivation to cut out the crap in my diet!

When it comes to being fit, experts say there is no short-cut. "If you just want to look thin, then maybe dieting is enough," Bell said. "But if you want to actually be healthy, then exercise has to be an important component of your lifestyle."

.....and an important first step is cutting out all that processed crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.