• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Eating Opium

waffle-head

Bluelighter
Hi,

Does anyone have a sensible dosage range for eating opium, for someone with a moderate tolerance to opioids?

I've read conflicting info across the net (as is all too common). Some people say eat 500mg, someone else says 500mg will kill you, eat 25mg, someone else says nah eat 10mg.

Is there a universal range out there that takes into consideration people's experiences with opioids, from zero tolerance to max?

Thanks

Difficult to say without knowing the quality of the material you have. I've had two grams in tea before and been fine but had around two/three hundred mg in tea that floored me. So the best possible advice is start with a low low amount and work up. Remember one can always take more not less.

Use the amount that you would use for an allergic reaction test basically. Just enough to allow your body to recognize it and react ever so slightly, and then if it reacts well, move up in SMALL increments from there. Also, ive heard opium can take a long time to kick in, kind of like poppy seed tea, so give yourself an hour each time, minimum.

Thanks for that. Someone suggested I test to make sure it isn't black tar H too...apparently the smell makes the difference. Shady area.

Be conservative and estimate that your Opium is approximately 10% Morphine by weight. If it's not shitty quality, 15% is probably more appropriate. The ~3% Codeine by weight is ultimately going to be insignificant, but count it if you like. You should test a small dose first, regardless of how sure you are of the purity.

Heroin will typically smell of vinegar as a result of being exposed to Acetic Acid/Anhydride, which is what vinegar is, more or less. Opium will generally have a very pleasant, floral odor to it provided it's been kept properly. It should make you go "I wish I had an air freshener of this shit". It's very mellow and pleasant unlike say, Cannabis smoke which hits you in the face and by our own admission, smells like a skunk.

Be on the lookout for odd chemical odors. It should smell vinegary, floral or it shouldn't have a smell at all. There are several substances that could substitute in a pinch for the look and consistency of Opium.

Kind of off topic, but Keif' Richards, you have peaked my curiosity. What else would you say looks like, and has the consistency of, opium?

That sounds about right ^ I have only ever been an oxy and opium addict, for not ultra long fortunately.. and yes it contains mostly 10% morphine with the rest being not that interesting to consider. While you should absolutely titrate the first few times, to gauge your response... I'd say that 500 mg is a full on serious dose of average opium, but a starter's dose is not *that* far off and 10 mg sounds unreasonable.

Be careful, just titrate... you'll know where you're at soon enough.

An hour to kick in would be fine... it's probably that latex that makes it absorb slowly... would probably be quicker if you made a tea from it. I must say I never really minded any of that, it's not like DOB or DOC with coming up slowly... just a bit slower than your opioid pill.

Doesn't something like shatter have the consistency of opium? I guess there are other plants you can get an oily latex from like that... but anyway I don't really know what is often used to mix into hashish to bulk it up... wouldn't know what would be used to make opium impure either or if it's just the difference between a crude product or much cruder product etc.

Why would opium be exposed to AA? That would be BTH...

Hey Solipsis, in response to your AA statement. I think I oversimplified things. You wouldn't Acetylate Opium. In most cases the Morphine and Codeine would be isolated from the latex and then Acetylated. I guess my overall point was that Opium and Black Tar Heroin are very similar in look and consistency. If one was trying to distinguish, the smell of vinegar (Acetic Acid if BTH and Acetic Anhydride for Heroin Hydrochloride) would definitely be a hallmark.

As far as things that look like Opium. There are several. It all depends on how easy of a mark you are ;). Solipsis made a good point that "dabs" or concentrates of Cannabis through certain methods produce an end product with a gummy, latex like consistency. At least if someone sells you a gram of dab instead, you can still get high, but that won't be super helpful if you're sick.

Are you familiar with Kiwi brand shoe polish that comes in the little tins? Take some out and feel it. It's got the color and consistency of Opium sort of. In a dark alley, in a plastic bag, a cursory glance wouldn't be enough to verify it. People get pretty creative when selling fake drugs.

Cops frequently use crushed Macadamia nuts to resemble Crack rocks for stings and such. I've seen at least two episodes of Cops where the people take the shit without questioning it. There are all kinds of ways to do people dirty unfortunately.

^ some great posts above.

Opium isn't like codeine or whatever (where you reach a certain level and that's it - with any re-dosing being futile) - you can titrate your dose - just do it slowly, because ingesting full-spectrum opium/poppy concoctions can take an hour (or three) to really hit the "peak" of the "high".
At least in my experiences - especially when my body wasn't used to opium - it can take 2 or 3 hours to feel nicely stoned.
...whereas, when i used poppies daily, it seemed to only ever take 20-minutes to feel that way.
Wonder if there is a biological explanatiok for that, or if it was something like a "placebo effect"?
Addiction does strange things to your body.

I'd just be wary of redosing before it's had a chance to kick in.

Solipsis, my layman's understanding of liver processing - and the sheer amount of different chemicals in opium - accounted for the slower come-up of broad-spectrum poppy teas and such.
I could be totally ignorant and ill-informed about that though :)

Opium is subtle, but demands serious respect IMO/E.
It's a slow-burning experience, rather than the rush and instantaneous nature of heroin or any number of other isolated opiates/oids.

So...start with a small dose, take more as necessary if it is safe to do so.
By which i mean "don't go binging on it if there's nobody around to check you're still breathing"

Last edited:
Thanks for that info, Keif. Wow, the plethora of info I've read during the last few days. That floral smell - a lot of folks are saying it's black tar/incense doing the rounds. Everyone's in agreement on the vinegar smell of H, a few folks say the real deal should smell a tad like liquorice.
I suppose the only way I'm gonna find out is having a sniff then trying a little ball on a pin.

^Conservatively, it would take 10 times the above stated dose just to make an equivalent of 25mg PO Morphine. Again, this is a conservative estimate. Opium can certainly be higher than 10%/3% Morphine/Codeine Alkaloid content.

Regarding the smells. This is going to be a matter of variability. One person might call my coat black and I might call it dark blue. By taking into account a few different references that we've given you based upon the smell, you might be able to at least exclude certain other substances i.e. shoe polish, but it's by no means an effective means of actually identifying anything.

Lots of differing opinions over first time edible dose.
Some say 50mg for a pleasant high and you're saying ten times that. Hm.

No, you're right. There's always going to be a lot of variability with these things. Some are definitely more sensitive to Opioids in general, but for most, 25mg PO Morphine is not crazy. My best friend is a lightweight with everything except Cannabis. He can't drink much, uses less Opioids than me etc. but he still takes at least 60mg Morphine if he's looking for a buzz.

I received it and it's dark, pliable and smells very earthy, almost like soil. No 'floral' smell, no vinegar smell, which is a good thing.
I swallowed a small ball and my legs felt nice, lol. Sounds weird, I felt chilled but nothing more. Gonna vape a ball on foil tomorrow.

Spoke to the vendor, he claims that 100mg starting dose is good for person with low/mid tolerance. So he/she advised 100mg, wait an hour, take it from there.

regards the aroma though: Very soily, earthy smell. Very dark brown, pliable.

^Unless he's had it analyzed, the estimate of "it's very strong" is just as meaningless as anything else we've provided.

That's true. I think he's basing that comment on the feedback consensus. Anyhoos, the 100mg I swallowed tonight did nothing but make me tired and a little agitated.
I'll try 150 tomorrow.