• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Eating Dosage Confusion

xentech

Greenlighter
I've been searching for about 30 minutes and haven't really found a clear cut answer on this.

To my knowledge eating cannabis (that's properly been decarboxylate and extracted in cannabutter) is meant to be stronger than smoking it. I remember eating some hash brownies once, I only ate one and I was FLOORED for like 4 hours. I didn't know the dosage but I'm sure it was less than half a gram.

Surely if .1g in a joint gets you stoned (it gets me nicely stoned, low tolerance atm) then the same dosage eaten will get you even more stoned? Yet I see people on various forums recommending using 1g per cake! That's like terribly un cost-effective and seems to be the opposite of what eating cannabis is about, most people say it's a better bang for your buck. No one (very few casual smokers) would put 1g in a joint to themself so surely they wouldn't be able to handle eating it either. Are these people just using poor extraction methods or will I really need to use that much bud?

a lot of people use trim for edibles so make sure they specify whether they are using flower or trim in their recipes, that would make a bit of a difference.

Personally, I don't think smoking a gram to the dome is all that big of a deal, and I used to do it on the regular every morning and throughout the day and most my friends could handle it as well. With a tolerance like mine I prefer my edibles to be on the stronger side rather than the weaker. if its too weak then I won't feel it at all and it will be somewhat of a waste. You can always cut the cake into 1/4's if it is too strong, or if you have a really low tolerance only put half of what the recipe calls for and then only take a quarter or less.

My uncle likes to make capsules with the oil and makes a dozen capsules or so out of a gram and says it gives him a nice buzz- personally I'm pretty sure that wouldn't do anything for me.

Im a lifetime head and Ive eaten more butter than I care to remember.

Eaten cannabis is never more cost effective than smoked. Some asshat is gonna come in and say "but I make this butter get you wrecked off a single bite!" But it doesnt really work that way for 99% of us. Smoke your buds, you arent missing anything.

Also same dosage eaten vs. smoked no comparison smoked will always win. Always. Ill get blown off 0.2 of some dank smoked. It doesnt work that way eaten. Ive been in your position and understand exactly where youre coming from. Even if you can disable yourself with butter its a helluva chore and never even hits the spot like a bowl does. Keep it in your pipe.

Last edited:
/\ agreed, I have some medical grade tincture oil that is really high thc and weighed out very precisely yet even on a heavy dose of it I don't get the same high as smoking. All I need is a few hits to feel wrecked tho when I'm on edibles.

/\ agreed, I have some medical grade tincture oil that is really high thc and weighed out very precisely yet even on a heavy dose of it I don't get the same high as smoking. All I need is a few hits to feel wrecked tho when I'm on edibles.

So eating is less cost effective than smoking. Seems crazy, I thought with eating you absorbed 100% of the THC.

I live in Arizona and have bought brownies and been disappointed so many times. The first time I bought brownies, it said on the back of the package that there were "2g of medical cannabis" per brownie. Well, I ate 2 of them, and felt absolutely nothing. I've never gotten high off any edible. I get my hash from the grower for 100 an o. One day I said fuck it, and ate a quarter ounce of hash at once. Felt nothing from that either.

I smoke between 5 and 7 grams of medical bud per day, and theres always hash on top when I decide to use a piece instead of a j. Edibles have never gotten me high. I've seen a lot of people with low tolerance get absolutely floored off edibles to the point where they were tripping though. Me, my brother, and our 2 room mates collectively go through 20 grams to an ounce of bud per day, and none of us can ever get high off edibles. I truly do think it is a tolerance thing. I smoke to feel normal now, I haven't gotten high in a long ass time.

^ Same here Stotched. I dont even eat the free edibles that come "first time patient" at these places anymore, I give em to friends and tell em not to expect to much. I got out of jail a couple months back with absolutely no tolerance, got 2 free rice krispy treats with my wax order from the delivery service, and still didnt feel a damn thing. Id feed em to my dogs if they didnt weigh 5-10 pounds and even then Im not sure anything would happen to them.

Edibles need to be over a threshold dose to work, but above that amount they are more cost effective than smoking. If your experience is contrary, you're eating badly made edibles. It's as simple as that. I don't care if you got it from a dispensary, they must've fucked up.

I just ate a half gram brownie the other night and the results were WELL beyond smoking the same amount. Two guys I know split one (so .25 each) and were really fucking stoned for hours. We all woke up still stoned. But in my experience doses below ~.2 don't work at all, and obviously you can get high on those amounts if you smoke or vape them. The minimum dose required probably varies depending on the person.

I thought I was immune to edibles for a long time. I would eat twice the amount as my friends and while they were locked to the couch tripping out, I was packing bowls. I'd say I tried edibles about 20 times, home made and also from a dispensary in my area. I would also give edibles away, telling people "dont waste them on me." Then one day I got a "care package" from someone in Washington state. It was full of edibles that had cool packaging, looked really legit. I ate one "100 mg" gummy bear on a totally empty stomach. My world came crashing down. I was tripping balls. I came to the conclusion that I'm not immune, I guess for me personally an empty stomach and a properly made product is very important.

Whenever edibles don't work it's one or both of these reasons.

Nah, I think some people just can't use edibles. I've been smoking 5-7 grams of hash oil all day every day for the past 4 years. There have been days I've gone through 10 grams of oil and 5 grams of bud per day TO MYSELF.

I've tried edibles multiple times and they have never worked. I ate a quarter ounce worth of weed brownies, bought at a dispensary in Tuscon, AZ and it did absolutely nothing. I've also eaten an ounce of hash in one sitting, and had it do nothing.

that or my cannabinoid receptors are so saturated that I just cant get high off them. I usually smoke a dab within 5 minutes of waking up, and then smoke one every time I even start to come off my peak, which is a dab every 30 minutes on average.

Properly made edibles are stronger than smoking, yes even hash. So a high tolerance shouldn't stop edibles from working. It's likely tolerance raises the threshold dosage I mentioned before, but if you ate a half ounce and didn't get high those brownies were garbage. Sorry, dude, but you got ripped off. I've met people who didn't have good experiences with edibles but when they tried correctly made ones they got high.

I'm not saying it's impossible you're immune to edibles, but I think it's unlikely.

Nah, I think some people just can't use edibles. I've been smoking 5-7 grams of hash oil all day every day for the past 4 years. There have been days I've gone through 10 grams of oil and 5 grams of bud per day TO MYSELF.

I've tried edibles multiple times and they have never worked. I ate a quarter ounce worth of weed brownies, bought at a dispensary in Tuscon, AZ and it did absolutely nothing. I've also eaten an ounce of hash in one sitting, and had it do nothing.

that or my cannabinoid receptors are so saturated that I just cant get high off them. I usually smoke a dab within 5 minutes of waking up, and then smoke one every time I even start to come off my peak, which is a dab every 30 minutes on average.
If I smoked 5-7 grams of hash oil a day I wouldn't expect any result from some brownies. Why consume such high amounts? Is it for pain relief? Otherwise it Seems like overkill. I smoked a gram a day for 5 years and I thought that gave me a high tolerance but obviously after reading here for a while I see that it's not that intense.

I agree with Stotched, Ive had a shit ton of edibles, never been impressed. Even when I feel edible highs, it never scratches the urge to smoke anyway. The body high isnt enough, I need a heady stone.

To the guys who said those of us who dont get lit off edibles are eating bunk shit. How exactly do you prepare weed edibles that get you blasted off 0.2g? Id really love to know. Dont bogart that knowledge, my friend!

Last edited:
If I smoked 5-7 grams of hash oil a day I wouldn't expect any result from some brownies. Why consume such high amounts? Is it for pain relief? Otherwise it Seems like overkill. I smoked a gram a day for 5 years and I thought that gave me a high tolerance but obviously after reading here for a while I see that it's not that intense.

Because growing weed is my sole source of income, and I pretty much have an unlimited supply of medicinal weed, and hash laying around the house at all time. I have 10 pounds of hash right at this moment, and could make plenty more with my trim/buds if I wanted to tonight. I have garbage bags of weed, that still needs trimmed.

Try conserving hash when you've got pounds of it sitting around. I tend to smoke most my buddies that come through to buy an eighth or more too, which means I'm hitting a dab every 10-15 minutes mid-day.

Also, if I had the willpower to take a t-break, I would. I just don't have the willpower. if I don't smoke a dab at least every hour, I start getting severe stomach cramps to the point I cant move, lethargy, crazy anxiety, and just get pissed off at the world. I never had these symptoms before I started smoking, so I guess it's just a cause of smoking this amount for the past decade. I even have to wake up two to three times at night when I sleep to smoke, or I just get restless and cant sleep. I haven't gotten high off weed in a long long time. I kinda miss the days when I could, but then again I just dont have the willpower to stop due to the pain it causes my stomach.

Last edited:
This is gonna sound ridiculous, but you should try tapering.

If I had access to unlimited hash, though... I'd likely be in the same boat. Hash is the best.

This is gonna sound ridiculous, but you should try tapering.

If I had access to unlimited hash, though... I'd likely be in the same boat. Hash is the best.

It's very hard for me to taper, I've tried many times, and don't have any self control. If I come off any less than 5 grams of oil per day at the minimum (usually need to smoke at least a quarter ounce of bud to not start feeling anxious, if it's only 5 grams of oil), I start feeling nauseous, I sit on the toilet a lot, and I also puke. My stomach hurts so bad I can't move, and I get terrible anxiety.

I also halfway believe that I've contracted cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, and that by continuing to smoke, I'm just worsening my situation. But then again, when I try to quit, I get unbearable stomach pains, worse than any physical pain I've ever felt.

Did you guys know that weed is a kappa,delta, and MU opioid receptor agonist? As well as modulating serotonin and dopamine?

Can you guys espousing the supreme power of edibles give us the secret on how to prepare edibles that get you rocked off 0.2? Apparently every dispensary and edible maker I known has been making bunk shit. Id like to know how to get your results.

Can you guys espousing the supreme power of edibles give us the secret on how to prepare edibles that get you rocked off 0.2? Apparently every dispensary and edible maker I known has been making bunk shit. Id like to know how to get your results.

Haha, they don't know what they're talking about, or are still newbie smokers. The only people I know that have gotten edibles to work are not daily smokers, take insanely large amounts of edibles to the point where its cost prohibitive, or if they are daily smokers, dont smoke medicinal quality.

CB1 and CB2 downregulation happens just like opioids. Eventually you will not have enough receptors to bind to, and edibles will only get you as high as one hit.