• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Eat raw marijuana . . ?

nsauce

Bluelighter
In an attempt to make a long story short:

I currently live in a non-smoking environment, and smoking outside can often be a problem as well. I have access to unlimited (for my own purposes) cheap mexican brick weed.

I recently decided, after toss&washing lots of kratom over the past few years, to just swallow compacted buds of this mexican brickweed (i have no problems swallowing large pills/quantities of pills/kratom). I tried swallowing raw weed once about a week ago, but didn't put much thought into the process. It was a late night or early morning after my usual beer barrage that i decided to swallow a couple buds that i would guess was probably 1/8 of an ounce (3-4 grams) total. I soon went to sleep, but woke up maybe 4 hours later and i was very stoned when i woke up. I was not drunk, i was stoned.

Yes i understand that suggled mexican brick weed can be smuggled in countless ways that could, can, and does cause contamination with god knows what. I'm not a complete idiot, I can and do detect when the weed has been smuggled inside a diesel/gas tank and would never eat (or smoke) any of that crap. Assuming I avoid contaminated weed, what are the pros/cons of eating raw weed?

tl;dr: what are the pros/cons of eating raw weed?
do you/have you eaten raw marijuana? what are your experiences?

According to the thc-a wikipedia, thc-a is decarboxylated during the curing/drying process already. Are you saying crumbling it and baking it at a low temperature for ~20 minutes would get me higher? I'm off to the google.
Thanks for your input.

Yeah, that's exactly what im saying ;)
Decarboxylation does happen during drying/curing, but it's a very slow process when compared to this method. I remember reading somewhere that 96% of the THC-A had turned into THC after 18 minuts at about 300 Fahrenheit (can't remember the source) but I would stay a little lower for a little longer if it was me.

Yeah, that's exactly what im saying ;)
Decarboxylation does happen during drying/curing, but it's a very slow process when compared to this method. I remember reading somewhere that 96% of the THC-A had turned into THC after 18 minuts at about 300 Fahrenheit (can't remember the source) but I would stay a little lower for a little longer if it was me.

THC begins to vaporize at 220F If im not mistaken so you will want to heat it at a lower temp. also wrap it in tinfoil so that any vapour that does happen to float off during the cook will not escape and will be reabsorbed into the bud when it has cooled down.

Does this really work to consume it just like that without cooking it into a fatty substance?

Hmm, Im pretty sure it's 315F for THC. The info in this thread seems legit to me.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/543218-Specific-boiling-points-and-roles-of-cannabinoids/page1

and nsource, there's some pretty good info on decarboxylation here: http://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

ah ok then I stand corrected :)
I would still wrap it up in tinfoil to prevent any loss just incase though. It also appears as if there are other cannibinoids that vaporize below the point THC does

Cons: Upset stomach (maybe because of not being decarbed?). If the weed is sticky gets stuck in your teeth and even throat, breath smells like weed. :D
Pros: Tastes good

chippy fox said:
Does this really work to consume it just like that without cooking it into a fatty substance?
i was always lead to believe that ingesting cannabis without lipids (fat/oil) was extremely wasteful (and/or inactive).
Truth be told Ive never tried it.
My favourite way to do 'edibles' is to boil weed in milk. Creamier the better.

^ It is wasteful for sure. I would say that dissolving the weed in fats prior to ingestion makes it 2-3 times as potent when compared to just ingesting the weed raw but it definately isn't inactive without the fats:)
That's with both samples being fully decarboxylated before ingestion. In my experience, the Cmax/peak also seems to be achieve faster if the weed is dissolved in fats and taken on an empty stomach.

^ It is wasteful for sure. I would say that dissolving the weed in fats prior to ingestion makes it 2-3 times as potent when compared to just ingesting the weed raw but it definately isn't inactive without the fats:)
That's with both samples being fully decarboxylated before ingestion. In my experience, the Cmax/peak also seems to be achieve faster if the weed is dissolved in fats and taken on an empty stomach.

Awesome, thanks. That's exactly the answer I was hoping for personally.

As far as I'm concerned, settling for just 30-50% of the potential high that you would achieve by cooking it in lipids is an abysmal failure.
Unless of course you have an unlimited supply of cannabis.. but even then I would likely take the time to cook it into something
(Although I say that as if my attempts as ingesting cannabis orally HAVE'NT been a complete failure.. Which they have)

My favourite way to do 'edibles' is to boil weed in milk. Creamier the better.
Do you have to decarb it first for this method or does the decarbing take place during the boil?
I ask this because my oven is extremely unreliable and last time I attempted a decarb at just 220F it ended up burning it (or so it looked like).. Not only did it not work well (I think it got me a LITTLE high.. but I was also smoking. It just seemed a bit like a more prominent body high that made the effects from smoking last a bit longer??? or placebo cause i wanted it to work so badly) but it also tasted GOD AWEFUL UGH (Firecrackers, btw)

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned, settling for just 30-50% of the potential high that you would achieve by cooking it in lipids is an abysmal failure.
Unless of course you have an unlimited supply of cannabis..

If he's from Texas and using mexibrick that might just be the case. :D

Do you have to decarb it first for this method or does the decarbing take place during the boil?
I ask this because my oven is extremely unreliable and last time I attempted a decarb at just 220F it ended up burning it (or so it looked like).. Not only did it not work well (I think it got me a LITTLE high.. but I was also smoking. It just seemed a bit like a more prominent body high that made the effects from smoking last a bit longer??? or placebo cause i wanted it to work so badly) but it also tasted GOD AWEFUL UGH (Firecrackers, btw)

Sounds like you overdid it. Anyway the boiling will decarb the weed as long as you boil it long enough. YMMV how long that is, I suppose. 20 minutes based on this thread...

I currently live in a non-smoking environment, and smoking outside can often be a problem as well. I have access to unlimited (for my own purposes) cheap mexican brick weed.

Can you make it up into canna butter? Then you could make cookies, or just spread it on toast or bread etc.

According to the thc-a wikipedia, thc-a is decarboxylated during the curing/drying process already. Are you saying crumbling it and baking it at a low temperature for ~20 minutes would get me higher? I'm off to the google.
Thanks for your input.

Wikipedia is correct, if your weed isn't still wet from being harvested then it's mostly decarboxylated. Heating it too much or too long will vaporise it or decarboxylate it further (eg turn thc into the less psychoactive cbn). As you found out just eating dried bud works pretty well.

Dissolving it in some butter, oil, full cream milk, or other fat works better, a little heat helps with that, too much is counter-productive.

Wikipedia is correct, if your weed isn't still wet from being harvested then it's mostly decarboxylated. Heating it too much or too long will vaporise it or decarboxylate it further (eg turn thc into the less psychoactive cbn). As you found out just eating dried bud works pretty well.

Nah... Check out these MMJ lab tests for weed from different California dispensaries for example: http://sclabs.com/tested.html?limitstart=0

All the ones I happened to look at had very little THC, mainly THCA.

Being properly decarbed would take ages (months).

From Wiki: "THCA is found in variable quantities in fresh, undried cannabis, but is progressively decarboxylated to THC with drying, and especially under intense heating such as when cannabis is smoked.[5]"

^This does NOT translate to this:
Wikipedia is correct, if your weed isn't still wet from being harvested then it's mostly decarboxylated.

Nah... Check out these MMJ lab tests for weed from different California dispensaries for example: http://sclabs.com/tested.html?limitstart=0

Wow, I knew the thc to thca ratio was low, but damn. Thank you for this source.

If he's from Texas and using mexibrick that might just be the case. :D

Sounds like you overdid it. Anyway the boiling will decarb the weed as long as you boil it long enough. YMMV how long that is, I suppose. 20 minutes based on this thread...
oh yeah XD to be honest I forgot the the OP mentioned that there was an unlimited supply. Though personally i think i would still rather cook it to make the most of it.

Is there any harm in allowing it to simmer at a low heat after the initial boil? or would that be just as counterproductive as over heating it in a dry environment.
I really want to try (a working) oral consumption at least once if not as a semi regular occurrence. I think it would be a much more consistent method of using it medicinally. (I use it for mental illness and for pain killing purposes)

Not sure if it's just too much colour saturation, but they all look a bit fresh & uncured, a lot of the stems still look green. It's not mexican brick weed. Weed should be dried over months, at least one, really & if it's some outdoor grown mexican stuff then it could be a year or more old.

Just heating it gently is usually enough, boil it in some milk or mix it with some melted butter & it'll be fine. It might take more cooking if your weed is really fresh like those photos.

Last edited:
It's not mexican brick weed. Weed should be dried over months, at least one, really & if it's some outdoor grown mexican stuff then it could be a year or more old.
#1: OP is in Texas which is located right next door to Mexico.
#2: Shwag is never cured or dryed properly, so you are only guessing that it has decarbed at all.