View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Easiest/Most difficult psychedelic to handle

PsychaStevic

Bluelight Crew
Including RCs, and in your own opinion, what's the easiest and/or most difficult psychedelics to handle as far as the overall intensity/bodyload, integration, headspace, visuals etc...
Please do elaborate on personal experiences as I'm looking to expand my list of chemicals.

Easiest: dissociatives, take my worries away

medium-easy: weed

medium: MDMA

Hardest: DO_ drugs, other stimulating phenylethylmine tryptamine make me feel weird

The easiest psychedelic to handle that I've tried is probably 4-HO-EPT. I don't have a lot of experience with it yet but it seems very calming and free from any kind of discomfort, at least at low to medium doses. MPT is pretty mellow and comfortable too.

As far as the most difficult ones, I would put mushrooms, LSD, DPT, and 2C-E near the top of the list. They also happen to be the most interesting ones though. With great risk comes great reward.

The easiest psychedelic to handle that I've tried is probably 4-HO-EPT. I don't have a lot of experience with it yet but it seems very calming and free from any kind of discomfort, at least at low to medium doses. MPT is pretty mellow and comfortable too.

As far as the most difficult ones, I would put mushrooms, LSD, DPT, and 2C-E near the top of the list. They also happen to be the most interesting ones though. With great risk comes great reward.
How was DPT as far as effects go?

It can get weird and a little uncomfortable at times, but overall it's very rewarding. I wrote about it after an intense trip I had on it last week. Look in the DPT thread or the trip report page.

Can you be more specific as to what you mean when you say "easy" and "difficult" please? For instance, I LOVE iboga, Ive had four full dose experiences with it, and found it very friendly and easy to bond with. However, the trip almost lasts a week and can physically excruciatingly hard on my body....depending upon if I am using it for entheogenic exploration vs giving me a break from physical addiction to opiates or alcohol. First time I took ibogaine/iboga (when I was an addict) I had a very easy going time. The last time I took it, where I was not addicted to anything, and it broke me mentally and physically...took me a week to recover and it fractured my personality for somemtime.

Moreover, things seem to vary from year to year. I used to get bodyloads with many psychedelic s...now I rarely do.

Honestly, I think set and setting are far bigger influences as to what is easy and what is not....the drug itself seems less of an influence.

LSA from morning glory seeds or HBWR seeds gives you some legendary nausea and leg pain. It's an interesting trip if you don't vomit up the drugs first. It's as if LSD had a long day and just wanted a back rub and a beer.

2CE and dissociatives can get a little shaky, especially on the come up. I love 2CE but the body load is strong.

Can you be more specific as to what you mean when you say "easy" and "difficult" please? For instance, I LOVE iboga, Ive had four full dose experiences with it, and found it very friendly and easy to bond with. However, the trip almost lasts a week and can physically excruciatingly hard on my body....depending upon if I am using it for entheogenic exploration vs giving me a break from physical addiction to opiates or alcohol. First time I took ibogaine/iboga (when I was an addict) I had a very easy going time. The last time I took it, where I was not addicted to anything, and it broke me mentally and physically...took me a week to recover and it fractured my personality for somemtime.

Moreover, things seem to vary from year to year. I used to get bodyloads with many psychedelic s...now I rarely do.

Honestly, I think set and setting are far bigger influences as to what is easy and what is not....the drug itself seems less of an influence.

I'd have to fully agree here. It's kind of like the psychadelic state is the same location. The different drugs are just different ways of accessing different parts of it. Collectively, most psychedelics share many communicable subjective traits. Many of the different physical ill-feeling side effects that can come from them stem from emotional distress you might not be currently aware of.

Easiest: dissociatives, take my worries away

medium-easy: weed

medium: MDMA

Hardest: DO_ drugs, other stimulating phenylethylmine tryptamine make me feel weird

Wait.. MDMA is a Psychedelic? I thought it was an Empathogen. Also you'd rate it medium difficultly when it comes to how to handle it. You must be crazy haha, MDMA is A LOT easier than weed to handle if you take into consideration that weed causes anxiety in many people whereas actual pure MDMA calms people down. I've not tripped a lot but I've rolled many times and for me I wouldn't say MDMA is anything like a psychedelic. I mean, colours look slightly brighter but that's about it.

Anyway on-topic. I'm not an expert when it comes to psyches since I only tripped once and it was yesterday. But I have done a lot of research on them, I see most people say 2C-B is very easy to handle, and it was my substance of choice for my first time. I can say it is extremely easy to handle, at least for me it was. Visuals were amazing as well. I would recommend 18mg as a starting dosage also. What I done was 9mg at first then another 9mg 45 minutes later.

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone have a difficult time with 2C-B. come up can catch you off guard though, especially if it went up the nose.

I think LSD is much easier to handle than Mushrooms, personally, but I hear some people say the opposite. I feel more in control with LSD, not that its a weaker trip, but I feel more composed and coordinated. On mushrooms finding my phone in my bag can be a task.

It depends on what you mean by "difficult to handle", but I'm going to assume you mean this to be an approximate measure of the likelihood of inducing psychological stress.

Just based purely on my own experience, the easiest to handle is Ketamine, it's really not possible to have a bad time on that, although I've met many people who would disagree. Following that would be MDMA and MDA - although I have had a difficult time before on the latter substance, they are still generally safe bets for an almost guaranteed good time... but I think purely by virtue of being stimulants, and especially in non-novice users, MDxx substances still have the potential to induce anxiety and other related stimulant-associated uneasiness. This can also be a result of unpleasant body sensations such as increased heartrate, body temperature, etc, whereas Ketamine and similar dissociatives have little to no body sensation issues by virtue of their anaesthetic properties.

LSD for me is middle of the road, leaning towards easy although I'm hesitant to actually describe it as easy in case I have to eat my words at some point. It can be a very intense experience for sure, but my memories of it are primary very visual, and I think although there is a definite non-visual component, the headspace in some ways lacks intricacy... it's almost so muddled and bewildering that it's easier to just let go and go with it. Again this was only my experience, my friend who most recently did the same 300ug dose with me said afterwards that he found it close to being overwhelming and frightening at times.

The most difficult to handle for me, that I have experienced so far, would be high dose (~70g fresh, ~7g dried) psilocybe mushrooms... it's hard to quantify exactly the reason for this but it's just such a bizarre headspace, coupled with, for me, a somewhat uncomfortable bodyload and an intense emotional aspect to the experience. While mushrooms are visual in quite a unique and magical way the visuals don't have the same sparkly quality as, say, LSD, and I think the headspace is really the star attraction and a very very intricate place, in the same way that LSD isn't. I think this is what makes them difficult to handle as when you are seeing things in front of your eyes it's easy to understand that this is the effect of a drug you have taken, so that association in your mind isn't broken... but the psychedelic headspace is a much harder thing to quantify and understand.

I will note finally that although I would say mushrooms are the "most difficult to handle", my experiences with them have overall been fairly manageable which I put down primarily to setting. The most difficult individual experience I have had on a drug would probably have to be a high dose LSA / Hawaiian Baby Woodrose trip which was 10 hours of existential terror but I have no doubt that the severe nausea I experienced on this played a big part, as well as the setting which was very far from ideal. In fact this is probably an important note to finish on, that regardless of the difficulty of the substance itself, set and setting and good prior planning are always of paramount importance in making sure you are able to handle what a substance throws at you.

Vastness said:
regardless of the difficulty of the substance itself, set and setting and good prior planning are always of paramount importance in making sure you are able to handle what a substance throws at you.
well said.

it seems a lot of people find mushrooms to be particularly challenging or 'dark' at times - but they can also be the very opposite.
with some psychedelics, the duration of the trip is the most challenging or (physically and mentally) exhausting part - and for others it is the physical side-effects like tremors, vasoconstriction, overstimulation, headaches, body temperature regulation or gastrointestinal issues.

set and setting really cannot be overestimated when it comes to making any trip a smooth or a rough experience - psychologically or physically.
it varies from person to person as well. some folks really don't find tryptamines agreeable, whereas i love them and find some of the phenethylamine psychs kind of uncomfortable (yet, as i said in my post above, i've found mescaline [full spectrum san pedro juice to be more precise] to be pretty nice, and not too challenging or anxiety provoking) but some people love the speedier psychedelics.

Yeah, I'd usually consider 2c-b one of the most gentle, but just take my mate last weekend as an example of why this is not always the case depending on set/setting/lack of knowledge/etc.

He decided to snort 15mg (having never used a milligram scale before, I might add), and thought he'd have time to prepare his music/environment before the drug kicked in.

Guess what? Yip, within about a minute he was wretching his guts up and fast descending into fractals, wondering whether or not his nose was bleeding and telling his brother he might need medical attention. Ironically he intended to have a "shorter" trip this way, but the power of the trip meant it stayed with him a long long time.

I think the easiest would be the gentlest, central thread here: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/showthread.php?t=291014

Check the Index (under comparisons you find 'the most...' threads) for others like the most powerful or most profound...

We could turn this current thread into one about the most difficult psychedelic but as clear as that may sound already, it could help to better define what you mean by difficult.

I think the easiest would be the gentlest, central thread here: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/showthread.php?t=291014

Check the Index (under comparisons you find 'the most...' threads) for others like the most powerful or most profound...

We could turn this current thread into one about the most difficult psychedelic but as clear as that may sound already, it could help to better define what you mean by difficult.
I would say more like vastness stated, one that would produce high levels of psychological stress or make one question reality to the point to where they aren't sure whats happening is real or not

How about splitting the question in two, since there seem to be two major concerns:

1) Difficult physically, ie. body-load: muscle cramps, tremors, headache, unpleasant nystagmus, perceived high blood pressure (who actually puts a cuff on?)

2) Difficult mentally, ie., head-space: either from an integration "my mind is fragmenting" or serious reflection "mushroom god showed me my life"

eg., most people would put LSA (from plant matter) high #1, low #2 (thought that's not my experience, at least once the vomiting stopped)

I guess they do have automatic ones for home now. I was trying to picture someone stoned trying to operate a sphygmomonometer (classy word there) with a stethescope and squeeze bladder and hearing his heart talk back.

How could you think MDMA is NOT a psychedelic? It was always pretty trippy for me. ::Shrugs::

Easiest: mescaline, hands down. Stuff is pure sunshine.

Medium: cannabis/MDMA

Difficult: Dissociatives. All of them.