Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

E-cigarette smoke found to contain toxic metals

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
E-cigarette smoke found to contain toxic metals
Robert Perkins
USC News

E-cigarettes are healthier for your neighbors than traditional cigarettes, but still release toxins into the air, according to a new study from USC.

Scientists studying secondhand smoke from e-cigarettes discovered an overall 10-fold decrease in exposure to harmful particles, with close-to-zero exposure to organic carcinogens. However, levels of exposure to some harmful metals in secondhand e-cigarette smoke were found to be significantly higher.

While tobacco smoke contains high levels of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons — cancer-causing organic compounds — the level of exposure to these substances was reduced to almost zero in secondhand e-cigarette smoke, due to the fact that they do not burn organic material the way old-fashioned cigarettes do.

However, despite the lack of harmful organic material and a decrease in the majority of toxic metals emissions, e-cigarette smoke contains the toxic element chromium, absent from traditional cigarettes, as well as nickel at levels four times higher than normal cigarettes. In addition, several other toxic metals such as lead and zinc were also found in secondhand e-cigarette smoke, though in concentrations lower than for normal cigarettes.

“Our results demonstrate that overall electronic cigarettes seem to be less harmful than regular cigarettes, but their elevated content of toxic metals such as nickel and chromium do raise concerns,” said Constantinos Sioutas, professor at the USC Viterbi School of Engineering and corresponding author of the study, which was published online on Aug. 22 by the Journal of Environmental Science, Processes and Impacts.

Read the full story here.

This looks like the perfect case of a drug that would benefit from a reasonable level of regulation. Let's hope the lawmakers take in the whole story and don't just look at the headline most news sources are going with, which is along the lines of "E-cigarettes contain TOXIC METALS!!!"

“The metal particles likely come from the cartridge of the e-cigarette devices themselves, which opens up the possibility that better manufacturing standards for the devices could reduce the quantity of metals in the smoke,” said Arian Saffari, a Ph.D. student at USC Viterbi and lead author of the paper. “Studies of this kind are necessary for implementing effective regulatory measures. E-cigarettes are so new, there just isn’t much research available on them yet.”

This is the important part.

i will be happy when the FDA starts to regulate these things, which they're already planning to do... i saw a thing on CSPAN the other day where they've set up a whole commission to do that. its crazy that these things are being sold with little to no formal quality control standards in place when they're essentially drug delivery devices.

i will be happy when the FDA starts to regulate these things, which they're already planning to do... i saw a thing on CSPAN the other day where they've set up a whole commission to do that. its crazy that these things are being sold with little to no formal quality control standards in place when they're essentially drug delivery devices.

Indeed. I've heard that they have a lot more toxins and carcinogens than actual cigarettes do.

I've heard that e-cigs can lead to Sudden Japan Syndrome--a disease in which you suddenly and inexplicably find yourself in Japan. Sufferers are advised to carry horseradish on their persons at all times.

The legitimate desire to make consistent delivery systems that do not expose you to metals through regulation is simply going to be high jacked to over-regulate the devices. This will lead to unnecessary over-pricing and restrictions on their use meant to maintain smokers' old habits with real cigarettes so the government can still tax the shit out of them while killing them before they recieve old age benefits.

The only way I see metals getting into the vapour is from the heating coil itself. The article refers to only one kind of vaporizer as well.

Last edited:
lol it still says e-cigs are safer then normal cigs... E-cigs are safe (the good ones) and when u hear they aren't its just the tobacco industry putting out propaganda articles.

I believe it´s a safer option indeed. But does it satisfy? Do you inhale sufficient nicotine?

The removal of chrome from the vaping element should get rid of that. Overall the article basically states that they apeare to be significantly less dangerous than traditional forms of smoking.

However, despite the lack of harmful organic material and a decrease in the majority of toxic metals emissions, e-cigarette smoke contains the toxic element chromium, absent from traditional cigarettes

They should get the nobel prize for identifying a chemical thats not found in "traditional" cigarettes. Lets not forget folks that we use products every second of every day that contain toxic materials that we end up ingesting. I like safe products as well, but this seems like the world of big government regulation is ramping up to stick its big ugly greedy claw out to steal its share of revenue under the guise of ensuring our and our childrens safety. I think its fucking pathedic that they are going to claim this is necessary to protect us when they have been "regulating" cigarettes for ever and never were able remove any of the toxic bullshit thats added to them. They just want to increase the money they recieve from them. I don't think children should be smoking them, but since children in some places of the world smoke cigs on the regular then this is a better option in places where children are allowed to smoke.

Photos: “Marlboro Boys” Depicts Children Smoking in Indonesia May Wilkerson

People should be allowed to smoke these things in public untill they prove some real negative consequences. If these little gadgets are putting a few molecules of crome into the air imagine what are all the sheeple driving there harlies with chrome pipes are doing to us.. for the good of gods green earth please ban motorcycles.

These regulators need to focus on real problems. I mean really, with all the problems, why we are even talking about this subject must come down to money.

Last edited:
If you want to avoid inhaling the metals and plastics from e-cig devices you can use a glass dick (meth pipe). Maybe not something you want to do in public though.

I believe it´s a safer option indeed. But does it satisfy?
No. At least not me. Instead of feeling calm e-cigs make me all wound up and speedy. Also I don't find them pleasurable, the glycerine makes the vapor taste like exhaust fumes and irritates the throat much more than smoke. Too bad nicotine by itself doesn't make enough vapor so it's pretty much required to give some resemblance of smoking.

Do you inhale sufficient nicotine?
Sure but not the other stuff. MAOI's and whatever else is in cigarette smoke... I suppose even carbon monoxide has some kind of effects.

now it really is becoming silly.
if second hand vapor from e-cigarettes (or rather their shiny chrome finish) are a problem and arguments for a ban, then what about candles, petroleum lamps, incense sticks and all that stuff. we have to ban them all to save our health! and cars! airplanes! campfires! power plants!

what pile of bullshit,its shame to be human.........yeah fucking E--cigs worse than normal ones......... fucking stainless steel evaporate toxic metals at sub burning temperatures makes perfect sense,its not like e cigs witch can provide same dose of nicotine at 15% price threaten 35 billion dollar/year centuries old industry,its not like theres army of world most powerfull men doing whatever it takes to make sheeple still buy classic cigs becose they can lose hundrets of billions over the years

saying this is some conspiracy by tobacco companies is insane. the people who want to regulate e-cigs are against the tobacco companies. the FDA runs multi-million dollar advertising campaigns to try to get people to quit smoking (the youth prevention campaign and others), they are one of the biggest enemies of the tobacco companies.

saying this is some conspiracy by tobacco companies is insane. the people who want to regulate e-cigs are against the tobacco companies. the FDA runs multi-million dollar advertising campaigns to try to get people to quit smoking (the youth prevention campaign and others), they are one of the biggest enemies of the tobacco companies.

If you think the tobacco lobbyists aren't doing everything they can to prevent e-cigs becoming a widespread and popular replacement for regular cigs, you're the one who's insane. I'm not saying they're the instigators necessarily, but I'm sure if you look at the money being pumped into anti-ecig efforts, you'll find a decent chunk of it originates in the tobacco industry. It's not a conspiracy, just capitalism.

If you think the tobacco lobbyists aren't doing everything they can to prevent e-cigs becoming a widespread and popular replacement for regular cigs, you're the one who's insane. I'm not saying they're the instigators necessarily, but I'm sure if you look at the money being pumped into anti-ecig efforts, you'll find a decent chunk of it originates in the tobacco industry. It's not a conspiracy, just capitalism.

Um...

http://online.wsj.com/articles/big-tobaccos-e-cig-push-gets-a-reality-check-1409078319

:\