View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM seems to have NO effect on me

Rapt0rzzz

Greenlighter
Hey, I have a question about DXM. It seems to have almost no effect on me whatsoever. Let me give you a history of my attempts to use this drug:

The first time I took the pure dxm gels. I dont remember how much is in a bottle, but I took all the pills in 2 bottles. My girl did a bottle and a half. She tripped, I felt nothing except my head burned.

The second time I took an unknown dose (it was small...a bottle or 2 with 350mg per bottle) I actually got pretty fucked up and it was fun.

The third time I drank one bottle that you can get around here called "adult" and it only contains DXM (30mg/ml) and I think that's like 354mg total. I felt a SLIGHT elevation in mood but thats it.

The fourth time I drank 2 bottles at the same time, waited an hour, felt nothing, drank another bottle, waited 10 minutes, then about a third of a bottle...so approx 1100mg. Felt nothing.

The fifth time I drank 2 bottles back to back, waited about 10 minutes because it's nasty, then drank another 2 back to back... so about 1400mg. I felt literally NOTHING except my head would burn for a few minutes every once and a while.

So really I tried this 5 times and only got any real effect once and it was at the lowest dose Ive done. The only thing I can think of is medications. The 4th time I had recently been on an SSRI (paxil) and the fifth time I had taken a bunch of Etizolam (although I dont see why a benzo would STOP me from tripping...only make me more mellow durring said trip) So even if it is that I was on Paxil or Wellbutrin during all those first four trips, I wasn't on any the other night when i took over 1400mg and felt nothing. Literally nothing. Just head burning.

Also, I was with my wife who was sober and she agreed that I was 100% sober so it's not like I was so messed up I didnt realize it. Does anyone have any ideas whats going on here? I know this was a lot to read but Im seriously confused.

Hi and welcome to PD!

It's possible you are a poor metabolizer and therefore are not able to convert enough DXM into DXO to get the effects you want. I'm not sure the jury is out on this but IIRC the DXM is mostly a pro-drug, it may hardly be active itself and it's consequent activity may be derived from how it is metabolized. There are multiple metabolism paths actually and I believe that this is the reason why some are extremely sensitive, some aren't at all, and why there is a range of subjective responses. Some metabolites may just be more pleasurable and others may just cause mostly side-effects.

That's the best theory I can come up with.

Switch to another dissociative drug and see how that pleases you...?

You may want to try fasting the day before as well as drinking alot of white grapefruit juice the day before and as well as a glass every hour or so during your planned trip day. I forget the technical names behind it all but it does help pproduce the enzymes that dxm requires to motabilize.

Just be wary, your mentioned doses of 1000mg+ is REAL high for the average user. I suggest if you're aiming for a 3rd plateau take about 700 mg while combining with the white grapefruit juice.

Your mileage may vary :)

That's odd, I wouldn't be able to tell you why nothing is happening. But, it can be very dangerous to take dxm while on an SSRI. It can cause serotonin syndrome, which can be fatal...
Sorry for the lack of an answer.

Wow that is very odd. I have never heard of that before. I guess your metabolism is poor and doesn't convert it quick enough for it to hit you