• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

DXM + Promethazine

PieceByPiece

Bluelighter
I've heard you can't take promethazine and DXM together - is this true and why not?

Is DXM an anti-histamine?

What does DXM do in terms of effects? Does it cause sedation?

Also what's the maximum dose you can take of promethazine? I was taking 50mg but have now found it doesn't cause the sedative like effects as strongly anymore so I upped my dose to 75mg and that did the job - can I go any higher or would it be really dangerous?

That's bullshit, of course you can take them together.
Some formulations of DXM cough syrup contain diphenhydramine. DPH and PMZ are both first-generation antihistamines. Their chemical backbones are different but they have very similar pharmacology.
DXM isn't an AH; it can actually trigger histamine release. PMZ or any other first-generation antihistamine should help with any nausea or itching. And yes - DXM is fairly sedating.
If you're just using PMZ to help you get to sleep then it's highly unlikely that you will experience any adverse effects from it other than a bit of dry mouth. This class of drugs is generally very safe unless you're taking them to trip (which requires doses far higher than what you're using).

DXM is a dissociative
Promethazine is a Deliriant/anti-histamine

People take high doses of DXM to trip out and hole out on different plateaus. Promethazine can make you delirious at a high dose and cause unpleasant side-effects. Some people even combine DXM and DPH(another deliriant) to achieve an synergic high. Some simply take a therapeutic dose of an anti-histamine to combat DXM nausea.

The hole I'm talking about is very sedating as is in the nature of a dissociative high.
Deliriants will also cause one to feel sedated at therapeutic doses.

I've read that the anticholinergic effect from anti-histamines is neurotoxic. So you can search that up if you'd like.

I am totally enjoying my promethazine and DXM buzz! I weight about 150, took 135 mg DXM and 58.5 mg Promethazine... I am gettin my lean on feel a nice medium euphoria, energy, getting shit done while singing and dancing! My tan carpet looks pink... that's the only visual "hallucinations" I've had so far. Not bad at all... guess it comes down to user preference.

I realize this post is from last year, but if anyone's wondering about combining DXM and opiates, they will potentiate one another to a significant extent. This should be done with much caution, as in half of a 5mg hydrocodone with enough DXM to feel something. It's advised against because of the increased risk for respiratory depression.

Overall it's a bad idea to mix CNS depressants with DXM.

Slinky, how potent is promethazine? How much diphenhydramine HCI is 58.5 mg promethazine equivalent to? I wouldn't think that 130 mg of dxm would make you hallucinate at all, nor anything less then 200 mg of promethazine (if its equivelent to diphenhydramine)

I realize this post is from last year, but if anyone's wondering about combining DXM and opiates, they will potentiate one another to a significant extent. This should be done with much caution, as in half of a 5mg hydrocodone with enough DXM to feel something. It's advised against because of the increased risk for respiratory depression.

Overall it's a bad idea to mix CNS depressants with DXM.

half a 5mg hydro can i borrow your tolerance please. ill give it right back

Thanks for the info guys.
Can you mix opioids with DXM?

Yes, 60-80 mg DXM is a typical dose as a potentiator. This combo is a definitely an upper. But don't use it if you take SSRIs or any antidepressants, you will feel like you had about 7 cups of coffee.