Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM Overdose - Need Help

LeoIsMyCat

Greenlighter
Hello there,

Let me start off by saying that I'm not a heavy drug user, I only smoke weed twice a month at most, drink occasionally and tried MDMA 3 times(at low doses)

Having said that let me get into it right away. I am looking for insight from anyone who has ever abused heavily the drug Dextromethorphan, any help is appreciated. I saw how friendly and helpful people are here so I figured I's post my question here.

So 6 days ago I went to a friend's house. We we're 3. John, Ryan and myself. We had 2 bottles od Vick's Nyquil(1 full and the other 1/3rd full)
Me and ryan shared a bottle and finished. John took the other bottle and we mixed it with sprite. After an hour We started feeling it and went for a walk. We we're laughing, sharing a joint and basically having a really nice time.

We got back home and watched a movie. John and Ryan went to bed and I stayed up a little. There was a joint left on the table so I figured I'd finish it. So I step outside to smoke up, finish the whole thing and make my way to bed.

This is where it gets scary, after 1 minute in bed I start breathing extremely slow, my heart rate is through the roof, my vision is completely tunnel and I can barely think straight. I was completely fine right up to smoking that join. I wake my friends up in a panicking frenzy, I thought I was dying. Ryan throws water on my back in an attempt to calm me down, he brings me to the window to get some fresh air. At tis point I start tripping way harder then i"ve ever tripped. I asked Ryan long I've been in the room(I thought it had been 45mins-1hour) he tells me 10 minutes and I panic even more at this point.

My limbs start giving up on me, I start thinking this is the end and I make my way to the bed just to rest peacefully before passing away 8) or so I thought. I was so dehydrated I was finished 4 bottles of water but never quenched my thirst. At this point I'm in such a vegetative state that I can barely move my toes. I was hallucinating shadows we're creeping into my soul and inhabiting my self being(extremely crazy stuff) I had a lot of difficulty talking to my friends, words we're slurred.

I woke up the next day, after 6 hours of sleep, feeling like I came back from the dead. It was a hard day, but I felt like I was getting back to normal, like after a hangover I would say.

Now,here's where I get cofuesed guys. 2 Days after I still felt like I was high of the drug. I felt completely dissasociated from the world. Like everything was fake. I had short term memory loss, I had to read phrases twice. Extreme anxiety. FELT EMOTIONLESS, like nothing mattered(like a robot). Physically I felt weak, had nausea and diarrhea. A huge pain in my head, Like a sort of pressure. Lost senses to my legs, and could not ejaculate if my life depended on it. :sus: Now I do have to mention I am someone who'se in good shape, I am 185lbs, I exercise daily and eat 5-6 times a day. Now I eat only once a day and can't exercise. I basically lay arounf all day watching breaking bad. I sould also need to mention I have had panic attacks(which I never had before)

I went to the doctor, and told me to rest it off, but they had no Idea what DXM was. Honestly I would listen to you guys a bunch more than to some doctor who has no knowledge on the drug. I heard about something called, Olney's lesions on the internet and that cared me to bits.

Today(6 days later) i feel like some things have gotten better. better memory, a little emotion has come back(was able to enjoy music), just a little less anxious. I went to exercise today. I managed to lift heavy(Dizzy and breathless at the end of my workout). Oh and I managed to ejaculate.. Twice hehe %)

Now here's my question guys, Will I get back to normal??? Will I feel like the real world will be real anytime soon or stay fake? Will I feel dissassociated from people for long? Will I stay anxious and stressed like this for long? Anyway guys, just looking for some insight and some past experiences to let me know what is to come for me. I love life, I just want to get back to enjoying things I love again. Just get back to myself you know? Help me out my friends. :D

You'll be fine. That wasn't enough DXM to legitimately overdose. Also, Nyquil contains other active ingredients that should not be taken in such high quantities. That's likely where some of the symptoms came from. Rest, eat well, and abstain from drugs for a bit and you'll be right as rain.

I find DXM really gross feeling in general, so it never surprises me when people find it unpleasant. But in the future if you want to try it again, make sure you use a product that contains only DXM as the active ingredient.

Also, the weed probably greatly exacerbated the anxiety and depersonalization/derealization. Despite its reputation, weed can cause some pretty scary psychological adverse reactions in some people. I can eat LSD like candy but can't smoke cannabis anymore without suffering extreme anxiety.

Make sure any DXM containing products you take don't have other active ingredients. It looks like that one has an antihistamine that caused some of the overdose effects when combined with DXM & weed.

You should get back to normal if you look after yourself & stay away from drugs for a while, starting to feel better a few days later is a great sign that you'll recover pretty quickly, but be more careful if you're going to take DXM again, make sure there's no other active ingredients that you could overdose on.

Thanks for the answer guys. it reassures me greatly. What scares me still is the feeling of no emotion, emptyness. I saw a couple posts where people have tried DXM only once but are left in this state of mind for a year or even more. I wouldn't understand why. I still have trouble feeling happy, sad, or any other emotion. Also, thinking deeply isn't as easy. I find it weird as to why this would happen to me after one use, especially such a small one. Any ideas?

DXM can trigger depersonalisation, never experienced it myself, but it can happen without drugs or with other drugs too, too early to say you've got that though I think. You're still going to be feeling the after-effects from your experience, which should wear off over time, give it a few weeks, stay away from drugs & stay positive, if it continues longer then maybe get medical/psychological help. Try to eat properly even if you don't feel like it & get out for some gentle exercise at least, laying around the house all day can't help.

Last edited:
Your right. I'll do that exactly, I guess if there's improvement in 6-7 days, It can only keep getting better, right? I just have this foggy state of mind, it's hard to shake it away. Headaches don't help eiter. Anyway, I'll stick to what you said. Thanks again.

You definitely did not overdose. The amount of cough syrup you took wouldn't even get a real robo head buzzed. A lot of people aren't suited for the dxm trip and that's probably why u felt the way u did.

Hmm. I've checked online and my symptoms we're rhe same as a DXM overdose. maybe the weed amplified the effects? Whatever it was I still feel it now. Anyone experience a kind of pressure in the back of your head going to your neck. although it's slowly hurting less.

Hmm. I've checked online and my symptoms we're rhe same as a DXM overdose. maybe the weed amplified the effects? Whatever it was I still feel it now. Anyone experience a kind of pressure in the back of your head going to your neck. although it's slowly hurting less.

Probably. A lot of people get panic attacks when they combine weed with dxm. It's happened to me in the past and I thought for sure I was dying but of course it wore off.

well I got the panic attacks a few days later. im getting better each day but I stilk have a cloudy head and very anxious.