• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

(DXM) Mucinex DM Reverse CWE - Make sense?

ddwk21

Greenlighter
Hi bluelighters, I am new to the forum, so forgive me if this isn't the right place for this post.(From what I can tell, at least for this post, SWIMMING isn't necessary. If so, please correct me and I will amend post haste.)

Firstly: I have no access to a local drug store, trapped in an airport hotel in beijing for several days, a good hour and forty+ dollars away from the city itself.

Amongst packed items, I found a box of Mucinex DM Maximum strength (tablets) - 60mg dxm : 1200 Guaif

Despite being relatively ignorant regarding chemistry, from what I gather, DXM HBr is not water soluble, while Guaif is quite water soluble, capable of reaching 1g:20ml concentration in a cold water solution, higher yet in anything warm.

My question is as follows: Can I perform a "reverse CWE"?

The hypothesis is as follows: Guaif dissolves into solution, DXM doesn't (opposite of the CWE used for say... codine tabs) - After allowing the solution to sit for a period of hours, the DXM HBr could theoretically be strained out in the same way everybody's favorite NSAID would.

In this context, however, the water is discarded and the gunk is to be consumed.

Due to limited experience with DXM there is no desire to exceed first plateau. Not all of the Guaif needs be removed, just the majority of it in such a way that there wouldn't be projectile vomiting from 4 measly caps with a total DXM content of 240 (Target dose is about 220, as I predict a small amount of DXM will also be lost due to minimal solubility.

Should this process be repeated more than once? They are extended release, as are all mucinex, and I don't know anything about the binders involved.

I spend a lot of time in china but it will be quite some time before I see any greenery, and the xanax I have a prescription for has never been my cup of tea, so I only take them if I'm flying for a long period of time.

Thanks all. Peace. Love. All of that good stuff.

Wiki says the water solubility of DXM hbr is 15mg/1ml and id be inclined to believe that as salts are quite soluble in water. You are probably thinking of the freebase which is nearly insoluble in water.

As far as I know, CWEs are not very effective for DXM products.

I have heard that a slightly lengthier process is required called ?agent lemon? (look on erowid for how to do this). Not as simple as a CWE, but easy enough to do at home.

In the beginnings of my DXM experience, I took a whole of bottle of DXM which ALSO contained Guaif. I did not persay die, but it was VERY uncomfortable. However, I did get a taste of what DXM is like.

Unless you had the resources to do agent lemon, I personally would not take these mucinex tablets.

Thanks a bunch at Falsified and Ashwolf. This may have cleared some stuff up for me, assuming the DexHBr solubility number Falsi has provided is correct.

The only evidence I see to the contrary is this one page, which may be incorrect anyways. Is this wrong? Am I looking at standard DXM and not HBR? https://www.drugbank.ca/salts/DBSALT000376 This drugbank page lists it as very negligibly soluble.

Meanwhile the same site shows guaif at a 1g/14.9ml solubility.

I AM CONFUSED D:

Thanks again guys, appreciate the help. I'm about to take a jaunt on the free shuttle to the airport. Hoping they have something a little better in the little drug store there.

As for agent lemon -- the service in the Hilton is great, but I doubt I can get the chinese concierge to bring a strange collection of chemicals to my room. xD

They would think some las vegas shit going down.

Edit: Also found DXM HBr on this list, claimed as sparingly soluble in water

Last edited:
Lol!

On a side note, agent lemon actually does not need a bunch of fancy chemicals. A simple run to a grocery store could get your everything (ammonia, lighter fluid, lemon juice, and two 2-liter bottles). However, getting access to a stove is the hard part.

I doubt they would let you into their kitchen haha!

Lol!

On a side note, agent lemon actually does not need a bunch of fancy chemicals. A simple run to a grocery store could get your everything (ammonia, lighter fluid, lemon juice, and two 2-liter bottles). However, getting access to a stove is the hard part.

I doubt they would let you into their kitchen haha!

Who knows, being a blonde white guy in China gets you a long ways ?

http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/pharm/pim179.htm#SectionTitle:3.2 Chemical structure

Refer to article 3, section 2 and 3. They address solubility of dxmhbr at room temp. Very official document there ?

As I have already begun the process with only four tabs, I will continue with the experiment. There is no question I will lose at least some of the guaif, so even if I only lose 10%, there wouldn't be any hospital trips involved.

Edit: I combed the internet for answers about this thoroughly before my initial post and it seems like nobody with half a brain has bothered to do some low dosage testing. What is a little diarrhea in the name of science if it gives us the power to destroy guaif?

p.s. I have two bottles of electrolyte tablets, if shit went wrong I could shove one up my ass to avoid mineral loss.

Last edited:
Update: Second extraction nearly complete. I poured off 8oz of some sort of solution, and am about to do the second filtration. What's left is cloudy and white, with a pile of sediment on the bottom - where it had began at a neon green due to the coloring in the time release portion of the caplet. Obviously something has dissolved off, and given that I used more than the appropriate amount of water to hold the necessary Guaif, either I have a pile of DXM, a pile of pill binders, or a mix of all 3 in an amount so negligible that I will experience no effect.

I am going to finish this up, take it, and put up an AAR when I know whether I've succeeded. The chemistry seems to be there.