• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Misc DXM-Is doxylamine succinate dangerous?

nancy145

Bluelighter
The store I go to doesn't sell anything with only DXM, so I've been using a brand containing dextromethorphan and doxylamine succinate. How bad is this exactly? I've only done it twice yet and want to know before using it again.

Edit: I've done DXM plenty of times before, i meant that ive only done DXM and doxylamine twice.

Last edited:
DXM is not doxylamine succinate.

DXM is often coupled with 'abuse-deterring' compounds such as 'acetaminophen' which DESTROYS the liver.

IF YOU WANT TO REMAIN NOT DEAD, DON'T TAKE DXM

Shoot the clerk.

Pew pew pew pew!

Have never come across this combination myself. However it is a joint combo for cough suppression. No problem with the anti-histamine (doxylamine) but the dxm (dextromethorphan) can cause problems if taken to high a dose, or too frequently.

It has dissociative qualities, that if you are not expecting, orbit used to, can be very unpleasant. If it is a recreational buy, I would not go down that road. As an anti-tussive pretty handy. It’s a mirror en-antiomer of an opioid, hence the cough suppression.

Murder-inducing compounds? DEFEND YOUR GOVERNMENT! PEW PEW PEW!

Russia and America Agree. CIA CIA CIA! DEA DEA DEA!

KILL KILL KILL!

Remember that Motley Crue song 'Girls Girls Girls'? Now just imagine it, 'Pills Pills Pills!'' and 'Kill Kill Kill!' alternating verses; the CIA agrees, btw.

[video]

Jog on spunky, this is a serious question posed by a new member. Don’t give him/her the impression we are all nobheads please!!

DXM is great stuff take around 300mg if it's your first time. I have taken around 600mg and loved it. Not for everyone but it's better than antihistamines for recreational

Nowhere near ketamine, if I could get ket I'd do that but this isn't bad for a night in. Not a drug to jump into if you ain't used to dissociative drugs but out of all OTC stuff this is the best. Don't take too much to begin with it can creep up on you and you end up wasted. The nausea isn't bad if you stick it out but overall I would much rather take ket it's way better.

Dissociatives for me (ketamine is one of my favourite drugs) ketamine>mxe>dxm.

Would stay well clear of pcp never had it and wouldnt want it

Doxylamine is an ethanolamine first-generation antihistamine (whose class prototype is diphenhydramine) in an eponymous sub-family with phenytoloxamine and has about 48 per cent of the anti-muscarinic potency of atropine at equivalent doses -- a very high dose will cause a situation similar to belladonna poisoning but the amount needed is very high. Its ability to potentiate narcotics is why I like it so much and physicians and pharmaceutical companies do use it for this purpose. It is my third-favourite antihistamine after tripelennamine and phenyltoloxamine, and doxylamine has nice effects by itself -- at therapeutic and modestly supratherapeutic doses.

Sorry Jungo I wasn’t meaning potency wise, just is it doing the same thing as ket etc receptor wise?

Would you recommend Doxy over Promethazine Nico?

It's works on the same receptors such as NMDA as does alcohol which makes ket give the drunk feeling but it also works on the sigma receptors.

I was thinking the same shortec, I am interested in using promethazine to potentiate opioids, specifically codeine

Ah right thanks Jungo. Yeah Promethazine is a long standing favourite but I find it hit and miss. Great for nausea though. Hadn’t heard Nico mention Doxy before nor anyone really. Currently although not an AH, I am finding 75mg Pregabalin before some Oxy is very noticeable.

Doxylamine is an ethanolamine first-generation antihistamine (whose class prototype is diphenhydramine) in an eponymous sub-family with phenytoloxamine and has about 48 per cent of the anti-muscarinic potency of atropine at equivalent doses -- a very high dose will cause a situation similar to belladonna poisoning but the amount needed is very high. Its ability to potentiate narcotics is why I like it so much and physicians and pharmaceutical companies do use it for this purpose. It is my third-favourite antihistamine after tripelennamine and phenyltoloxamine, and doxylamine has nice effects by itself -- at therapeutic and modestly supratherapeutic doses.
Sorry Jungo I wasn’t meaning potency wise, just is it doing the same thing as ket etc receptor wise?

It depends on the situation -- Both are analgesic-sparing but there is the metabolic effect: the doxylamine has a slight effect on the metabolism of things like hydrocodone whereas promethazine, a phenothiazine antihistamine, increases the codeine to morphine conversion of codeine and all down the line with other prodrug narcotics, including both stereoisomers of racemethorphan, in this case the sigma/NMDA agent DXM and should also make more DXM into its active metabolite DXO as DXM is the codeine analogue of DXO. Promethazine is especially used clinically to potentiate pethidine, alphaprodine, piminodine, ketobemidone and other 4-phenylpiperidines, and levorphanol and piritramide too, but taken with morphine and the like can interfere with the analgesia.

I have combined promethazine and hydrocodone before, and taking cimetidine and grapefruit juice with it seemed to give me the best of both -- lots of conversion to hydromorphone and sustaining higher serum levels of that and other metabolites.

Last edited:
Never really worked well for me, inhibition or inducing, great for nausea though so always in the kitbag. Had a good response with Oxy and Chlorpheniramine, repeated on random days and pushes the euphoria up a bit I sensed for sure!!

Never really worked well for me, inhibition or inducing, great for nausea though so always in the kitbag. Had a good response with Oxy and Chlorpheniramine, repeated on random days and pushes the euphoria up a bit I sensed for sure!!
That is a very good combination -- considering that chlorphenamine causes stimulation more than other antihistamines except possibly dexchlorphenanamine.

DXM itself is a nice drug, one of the more powerful ones. But if you add doxylamine, it becomes delerious and unpleasant, not to mention the combo is more dangerous. Hold out for some DXM-only products, you'll thank yourself for listening later.

When I wasn’t using heroin I would try to get a high from things at the drugstore and doxylamine was one I did a lot. At high doses I would get hallucinations and paranoia. Not extreme, but definitely enough to make me not want to leave the room. My hands would be all shaky that I wouldn’t be able to light a cigarette and you feel nauseous sometimes. It’s not fun when I think about it now. I don’t suggest you do it.

DXM itself is a nice drug, one of the more powerful ones. But if you add doxylamine, it becomes delerious and unpleasant, not to mention the combo is more dangerous. Hold out for some DXM-only products, you'll thank yourself for listening later.
This is, of course, if people are taking it all for delirium . . . it bears mentioning that the therapeutic and slightly higher doses are very good as potentiators and the DXM can slow down the development of opioid tolerance. NyQuil mixed with orphenadrine and with codeine, dihydrocodeine or hydrocodone is a recreational and improvised pain control method known as doing some NorQuil or Norquing out

Jog on spunky, this is a serious question posed by a new member. Don’t give him/her the impression we are all nobheads please!!
I'm not new, just haven't been sober except weed a while so I haven't been too active here and don't remember everything. Thanks though