• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc DXM for depression?

wogdiddy

Greenlighter
So I was wondering; what do you all think about taking DXM in small amounts(30mg - 90mg) for depression? I know that DXM is a SRI as well as a NMDA antagonist so I was wondering if anybody had any experiences with it.

I currently take Wellbutrin(bupropion) 400mg daily, and 1 day I took a shot of cough medicine. The day seemed a little bit brighter with less anxiety so I was wondering if this was placebo or the effects of the Wellbutrin and low dose of DXM working together to fight depression.

I know they have a new drug out called Auvelity with 105mg bupropion and 45mg DXM I believe, and I was thinking about asking my doctor about it.

Anyone else have any experiences with DXM at low doses?

I was using DXM as self-medication against depression and anxiety (possibly autism spectrum stuff too) at dosages of 75-150mg/d and it was fucking great. Also took it together with bupropion (just 150mg XR) and it was like an entirely different drug. A hardcore stimulant rivaling solid dosages of amphetamine. Idk whether it was just me or a common interaction but I'd advise to be cautious when mixing DXM and bupropion. Specially if you also drink coffee. I don't think it's dangerous but caught me by surprise. Was effective enough for me as somebody suffering from social anxiety to chat up with stranger in the metro for example. Both, the DXM alone, and together with bupropion were enjoyable and helpful. Much more effective than any of the S/NRIs I've tried. You need to wait for several days with steady dosing for the effects to build up, I assume the DXM blood concentration rises over time. Extended release DXM or polistirex are helpful too.

Side effects I remember (was more than 10 years ago so not too acurate) were mostly diarrhea, and insomnia. The latter might be welcome or not, depending on your symptoms.

Yeah, I too noticed that they are approving a drug combo with bupropion + DXM in it, seems like the approval process is now complete? After ketamine the second surprise at the depression treatment front. Never imagined they would actually approve something so stimulating.

DXM seems to work better the younger you are, and the less recreational experiences you had with it. Unfortunately, this rendered DXM worthless for me, nowadays I just get side effects but no more benefits from dosing but I can only recommend it if you're new to it.

DXM seems to work better the younger you are, and the less recreational experiences you had with it. Unfortunately, this rendered DXM worthless for me, nowadays I just get side effects but no more benefits from dosing but I can only recommend it if you're new to it
I’m 35 years old and I’ve taken DXM at least 20 times. Usually 300mg - 350mg at a time. It fucks me up pretty good and I do like the feeling of being disassociated but I’ve noticed I get a different feeling pretty much every time I do the same amount. I’d like to continue taking it at lower doses just to help with depression/anxiety but I hope it doesn’t lose its magic…

GET A SCRIPT. (if your in a financially able to and have healthcare)

I don't care if it is even just a script for otc dxm hbr 45 mg otc + bupropion.

I know it's a nightmare and hassle but nothing is worse then when I was hospitalized claiming I have severe depression and I was taking dxm to try and feel not depressed. All they wanted to do is treat me for psychosis for being agitated they want to treat me for addiction and not depression.

I’m 35 years old and I’ve taken DXM at least 20 times. Usually 300mg - 350mg at a time. It fucks me up pretty good and I do like the feeling of being disassociated but I’ve noticed I get a different feeling pretty much every time I do the same amount. I’d like to continue taking it at lower doses just to help with depression/anxiety but I hope it doesn’t lose its magic…
When dxm still fucks you up at 300mg then there's a fair chance that lower dosages, with or without bupropion, will work as well. I did over use dissociatives and nowadays I just get psychotomimetic side effects from any dosage of dxm (like hearing voices, but it's not common to get that, most people just lose the magic when over used), which is a bummer indeed.

d1nach has a point, if there is a chance of incarceration via hospital or otherwise it is very beneficial to have these things prescribed to you. Where I live they don't give you your meds in jail and often the psych ward either. (in the US, is this normal, any thoughts?)

However from what I understand normal protocol is if you are prescribed something you should recieve it regardless of what happens. They TRIED to psych ward me once. Took my damn redbull and wouldn't give it back for like 10 hours until I was officially released. (or any meds, which is a good way to drive someone to the psych ward)