View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM First Time Question

ForcePower8

Greenlighter
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and am generally an introvert (even online) so this question may come across as ignorant or naive, but I'd rather be seen as stupid than be unsafe. Anyways, SWIM was considering trying DXM within the next few days for the purpose of self-exploration. He's never done any psychedelics or dissociatives before, even drugs like alcohol are foreign territory for him. Part of the reason for this is because he's very protective of his brain/body and has heard that certain drugs (DXM included) can cause physiological and liver problems. However, recently SWIM has felt directionless and unsure of who he is. When SWIM heard that dissociatives allow you to somewhat remove your biases and analyze yourself objectively he became very interested. I read some of William White's FAQ on Erowid but still have a few questions.

My first question is probably the one that will make me look the silliest: since this will probably only be a one-time thing (I hear that most who try DXM don't ever do it again, and SWIM already doesn't have interest in trying again after this), are there any risks of permanent damage to the body or mind from a single DXM trip? SWIM made sure to pick a syrup with only dextromethorphan (none of that guaifenesin or acetaminophen crap). The FAQ seemed to imply that rare use was pretty safe, but SWIM wants to be absolutely sure. If there is a significant risk of damaging his mental or physical health he'll throw away the idea immediately and find a safer psychedelic.

My second question is in regard to the enzyme deficiency that some people have that can cause the trip to be more dangerous. What would be a good way to test for that so that he can avoid potential problems? Since this is probably the only time he'll do DXM he'd like to take all 354 mg of it for a medium strength trip, but wants to play it safe due to potential enzyme problems. If SWIM DID happen to have the enzyme deficiency, what do you think 354 mg would do?

My final question is pretty dumb too, but I don't mind asking dumb questions for safety's sake: The past couple of days SWIM has had some pretty bad allergies/headaches. He took some ibuprofen and sudafed at recommended dosage on the box. I couldn't find any info on how NSAIDs combine with DXM, but heard that MAOIs and SSRIs could cause Serotonin Syndrome if combined with DXM (that's part of the reason SWIM stopped taking Prozac a couple of months ago - plus he doesn't like how it makes him feel. Suffice it to say he's been preparing for this trip for awhile). Is it okay to trip on DXM a few days after the NSAIDs? My guess is yes but I wanted to make sure.

Anyways, those are my questions. I know they make me sound like a noob wannabe psychonaut, but oh well. Thank you all for your time and your answers would be most appreciated. Don't be afraid to give me the answers I don't want to hear.

Last edited:
don't worry about sounding nooby, everyone was at some point. but there's no need to use SWIM, we know it's you and yeah i'd say DXM is of the safer psychedelics and it's okay to mix with sudafed and ibuprofen, I've mixed all of them in a recent cold I had in the same day so have fun, stay safe, don't do it if there's any risk whatsoever of you getting caught, have a nice trip :)

If you have the enzyme deficiency and react hypersensitive to dxm, 354mg might send you on a 4th plateau trip which might last a few days.

So...to check if you have enzyme deficiency you should take a 30mg or 60mg test dose the day before you plan to trip.
If that doesnt make you trip you should be fine with your planned dosage.

Last edited:
1st question: Unlikely, but possible. DXM is really bad for your liver, but it should most likely effect you after long term use or using it enough times I guess. The most that happened to me wasnot being able to finsih my sentences or talk 100% normal the next day, but it was only that day.
2nd question: My first DXM trip I drank a whole bottle of and that was Robitussin DM, you just have to even out the amount of soda you mix with it, maybe put a bit more soda over DXM.
3rd question: I would not do any other drugs with DXM, only take DXM by itself.
Check out my trip reports on DXM, you will get a good idea what the trip is like as well. Go to the "Trip Reports" forum, my most recent one should be there. If you do DXM right then DXM will do you right (in a sense).
tumblr_measz8u00X1ryv12ko1_500.gif

1st question: Unlikely, but possible. DXM is really bad for your liver, but it should most likely effect you after long term use or using it enough times I guess. The most that happened to me wasnot being able to finsih my sentences or talk 100% normal the next day, but it was only that day.
2nd question: My first DXM trip I drank a whole bottle of and that was Robitussin DM, you just have to even out the amount of soda you mix with it, maybe put a bit more soda over DXM.
3rd question: I would not do any other drugs with DXM, only take DXM by itself.
Check out my trip reports on DXM, you will get a good idea what the trip is like as well. Go to the "Trip Reports" forum, my most recent one should be there. If you do DXM right then DXM will do you right (in a sense).
tumblr_measz8u00X1ryv12ko1_500.gif

I disagree, cannabis is awesome wkth dxm they go together tripljng without weed is like skmethings missing. The bud really sets it off. Only advised if you're prepared for it though, ot for the first time.

Thank you all for your answers! I've decided I'm gonna go through with it but probably will delay it another few weeks. I'm currently visiting my family for the holidays from college so I'd like to potentially avoid causing them excess worry. I will be home alone this weekend which might be a good time if it weren't so soon after a little spat we had (I don't want to potentially cause another stressful situation for them), plus I wouldn't have a trip sitter. If and when I do go through with it, I'll post a trip report for those who are interested.