View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM effects on the brain

WalleyBFeed

Bluelighter
From reading around the internet, it appears that the negative effects on your brain from DXM are still unknown. Have you noticed a lasting significant decline in your cognitave function since you started DXM?

Absolutely, which is why I totally despise people that say DXM does not cause brain damage. I have cessated DXM use 3 months ago approximately, and to this day, I stutter much more, feel mentally slow, "freeze frame" body posture (kinda like my brain spaces out), and so on and so forth. I noticed these issues 2 days after my last DXM trip and they have gotten better only slightly.
OH, and let me add, major memory problems for about 2 weeks after the last trip. If this isn't brain damage, well I don't know what it is then.

Last edited:
A friend of mine just tried DXM a week ago, and has done it twice so far. I noticed he had random stuttering and large, whole body twitching the day after. He told me the stuttering has stopped (it has been a few days), but he is still getting random twitching bouts after only two uses.

How often/much would you say you were using?

I am about 140 pounds. 300mg was enough for a strong 2nd plateau trip back in the day... now my last dose 1,200mg won't even get me into 3rd plateau... it basically feels like a 2nd plateau trip that is missing certain effects. I think tolerance has to do with brain damage, considering how permanent the tolerance to this stuff is.

majourly. i did some research on the shit before i tried it and like u said not a whole lot is know. how ever, just like any chemical, it is going to do damage cuz of the fact you r putting chemicals into your body. as to what the side effects r i'm not sure. i did notice a bit a a memory problem for about the first 4 or 5 days afterwards where i just couldn't quite remember even the most basic of things sometimes but it has since gone away. i was only a one time user, and there is a reason behind that. so know what ur getting into before u do

I've noticed a lasting significant increase in my cognitive function... Dexter and I get along extraordinarily well however =D

Iv used a bit but like i havnt noticed any long lasting side effects. i didnt think it was posible but i had a bad trip last time. i puked 3 times and i halucinated(sorry...spelling) that i was in a tall forest with indians wearing loin cloths running all around me. toatly trippy but fun:)

The puking was the bad part not the forest. haha i was listing to SOAD and after i went back and listnd to the songs and the last tract was just indian noises.(native american) but my friend said it was some other people...i cant remember who/=

^ That's interesting mr.smiley, a couple of friends and I have contacted native north american peoples on DXM as well...

I have tripped a few, maybe ten times on DXM, and I find absolutely no decline in my cognitive abilities.

What other drugs are you taking?

I notice acute decrease in cognative abilities but even after using DXM 10-15 times I've noticed minimal lasting effects....

Perhaps it affects everybody differently <3

^^ Same with me. I'm actually quite a DXM enthusiast, and have had about 15 3rd plateau DXM trips, with at least as many lower-dose experiences. I cannot say that I've found DXM to have any long term effect on my cognitive function, and certainly have not noticed any carryover of the (side) effects of the drug into my sober life. My memory, focus, mood etc seems unaltered since the beginning of my DXM use, and the only real affect on my day-to-day life is for me to (more playfully than anything) think of "normal" reality in the context of my DXM experiences, which is usually an interesting exercise.

The side effects of DXM directly after consumption are definitely acute: ability to read, write, and speak become severely impaired, with speech most affected for me. Often, my teeth will chatter quite a bit at low dosages, which can be difficulty to control. Also, this drug does a major number on your memory of the event, making it very frustrating to try and record your experiences later. Despite these severe effects when using DXM, I can't say that I've noticed any negative change to my normal functions from this substance.

For reference, the other substances I most often use would be caffeine, betel, cannabis, plant-based psychedelics, tramadol, and much more occasionally amphetamines, alcohol, and other opiates

At one point I used DXM a bit excessively (Never exceeding a 600mg dose) and after a few weeks of abusing it I noticed significant cognitive impairment, predominantly in my language skills and vocabulary recall. Although I do not attribute it so much to the DXM as mental under stimulation. I had finished school a few months prior so I wasn't really using my brain much lol. Although the impairment I felt from the DXM had completely gone after a lnog few month break, I use every now and again and I feel fine mentally. Not to mention I was having weed pretty occasionally so that could have contributed a lot.

I used to use dxm regularly for about a year or so.... regularly being every other day or so, and I have to agree with Mr. tambourine man. The speech impediment, teeth chattering, inability to read or walk particularly well... they are all there, however they always go away once returning to baseline.

After using DXM (300mg HBr) I had a fairly good memory of the experience the next day and felt 'new' you could say. Stuttering and shifting mood changes I attribute to my on/off addiction to cannabis and tobacco use which throw my mind out of wack now and again.

Being clean though for the past month, I've noticed an increased mental clarity, I no longer stutter and my emotions are well under control.

So I would have to say DXM has not 'fucked' me per se. Then again I never really plan on experiencing doses higher than 500mg due to the syrup problem. Infact 300mg is quite a good dose for me (185lbs) I also leave a month to 2 months break inbetween dosing. I treat DXM in a similar way to MDMA, once a month maximum if at all.

I know this is a very old thread, and I apologize for reviving it from the dead.

I just wanted to add my experience for anyone else who comes here seeking information.

I used DXM heavily when I was 16-17(I was addicted to opiates as well, and everything got out of control when my mom committed suicide)
I probably used DXM 2-4 times a week. (Stupid yes, I know, no need to preach to the choir).
Doses ranging anywhere from 350-700mg

When I stopped (which was years ago, when I went to rehab), I noticed a huge difference in my ability to speak. I have always been good with language, writing, speaking , etc. When I stopped DXM , I noticed that I had trouble forming sentences , I had trouble thinking of what I wanted to say, I even had some pretty big personality changes (the latter may be combination of my drug use, and other traumatic events that happened during those years).
I still continue to feel incredibly slow when talking to people, I have to choose my words, think of what I'm saying.
I developed incredibly bad depression, and anxiety, which still persists (I'm pretty sure that is also related to my opiate addiction as well).

Anyways, long story short, I used to be incredibly quick , witty, and smart. Ever since my recovery, I feel stupid, slow, and confused/foggy.

I've been using cough syrup heavily for 8 years. Heavy in like daily two bottles of delsym. (~1500mg).

It's lowered my memory powers and speech powers. My memory is less good and I speak slower and having more umms and stutters.

Totally worth it though.

Respect to you :) ^ I've been tripping for quite a while (Only Delsym of course :D ), and since the beginning I just have never been able to trip- like seriously trip without 1500+ mg. I weigh 115 as well and it just does not happen for me! Anyways, DXM has changed me a lot in the last few years, not much cognitively, but my views on the world. I feel as if I am a lot more social when I do smaller doses and it really brings my confidence a lot. Once I hit 1500 mg I start to become antisocial, but I feel as if nobody can help that. It has become part of my life. Before social events or even work I will just slug down 400 mg or so and it gets me social all through the day, and nobody knows whats up! That's how little it effects me haha. It's a curse but a blessing. More money out of my pocket but I am able to take certain doses for multiple purposes. My memory has slightly been reduced but nothing too bad. My speech has not changed at all for me personally, but it affects everyone differently. Have a nice night, and happy tripping!

-Cashin 8(%)