• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentinoids DXM and Lyrica safety?

MrBaconHawk

Bluelighter
Was curious, saw that Lyrica and DXM have moderate interactions. I take 300mg Lyrica daily for neuropathic pain (I've taken much much higher, a regular/small dose for me is 300mg), but I also just took 23 15mg tablets of DXM (Since 16 tablets last time I took it only made me kinda dizzy, not much else). Is this combo safe? Anything in particular I should watch for?

You should be ok, assuming that you don't have any other meds in your system. I've taken similar doses of lyrica + dxm without issue, but expect to be markedly more sedated than you would be from the lyrica alone, and strong hypnagogic imagery is a distinct possibility. Maybe have a trip sitter around if possible.

PLEASE, IN THE FUTURE, ASK ABOUT THE SAFETY OF A COMBINATION OF DRUGS *BEFOREHAND*. BL has lost members who asked about the safety of their drug combination after ingesting it, and it was too late for medical intervention.

As far as I know and have read, there is not a significantly dangerous interaction between these drugs. The thing is, this is based on the assumption that you are taking recommended doses of Dextromethorphan and you're taking several times more than that.

I wouldn't expect there to be a problem, but this is something to keep in mind.

You will be fine. I was mixing it higher doses than that experimentally with equivalent dose gabapentin (lyrica is precursor to gabapentin).. about week and a half or two weeks ago.

Went on a 3 night bender actually. Its a lot of fun medium to high dose. I was using in the the range of 700mg plus 300mg gabapentin.

Anecdotal but the questions been answered scientifically already. Its good to ask, theres a really sad thread about a kid in his early 20s dying because he didnt ask beforehand. That was dxm related too, plus effexor which potentiated each others effects hugely.

I'm on a third level trip with DXM at the moment. I say 3rd cause typing is natural but all the words seem foreign to me at the moment. Just going to chill out and listen to some Rufus Du Sol on my $700 Planar magnetic headphones.

Aaaaaaand bliss. I haven't experienced anything with any other substances in the past... even Ketamine went away with no more than a basic dizziness. I was able to use this time as a mental escape from my mountain of shit I need to address, and best of all I DON'T FEEL MY BACK PAIN RIGHT NOW and its amazing. Not as in recreational amazing but as in... I haven't felt pain-free for years. It's been a long dragging battle and I've gotten a glimpse of what things used to be like... I assume this is a good thing because I didn't think anything could get me relief. Gives me hope that perhaps there's some sort of solution I haven't seen yet that may be out there. I did not expect anti-depressant effects from DXM use but I am pleasantly surprised in this respect. I hope more research is done regarding disassociatives and their capabilities (I read some really interesting things regarding long-term depression treatment using high doses of mushrooms which I am very interested in now, due to this recent experience). I don't expect DXM to help long-term and plan to switch, but I wanted to use it to get an idea for how it might effect me... and it looks like I may have found a semi-solution (depending on how things go from here)

Aaaaaaand bliss. I haven't experienced anything with any other substances in the past... even Ketamine went away with no more than a basic dizziness. I was able to use this time as a mental escape from my mountain of shit I need to address, and best of all I DON'T FEEL MY BACK PAIN RIGHT NOW and its amazing. Not as in recreational amazing but as in... I haven't felt pain-free for years. It's been a long dragging battle and I've gotten a glimpse of what things used to be like... I assume this is a good thing because I didn't think anything could get me relief. Gives me hope that perhaps there's some sort of solution I haven't seen yet that may be out there. I did not expect anti-depressant effects from DXM use but I am pleasantly surprised in this respect. I hope more research is done regarding disassociatives and their capabilities (I read some really interesting things regarding long-term depression treatment using high doses of mushrooms which I am very interested in now, due to this recent experience). I don't expect DXM to help long-term and plan to switch, but I wanted to use it to get an idea for how it might effect me... and it looks like I may have found a semi-solution (depending on how things go from here)

Low dose DXM is my first choice as a crash antidepressant. Keep the doses below 150mg spread throughout the day and keep it to one day a week or less and its benefit will remain for a long time. It doesn't work for me in syrup or pill form though, I just use pure DXM powder. The sorbitol in pills and syrup wreaks havoc on my stomach, but the powder does not.

Low dose DXM is my first choice as a crash antidepressant. Keep the doses below 150mg spread throughout the day and keep it to one day a week or less and its benefit will remain for a long time. It doesn't work for me in syrup or pill form though, I just use pure DXM powder. The sorbitol in pills and syrup wreaks havoc on my stomach, but the powder does not.
Any particular reason I can only do it once a week? What if I occasionally do another in let's say 2 or 3 days? Any issues with this? Would I need to dose a little higher to account for potential tolerance increase?

When I find a source for powder that's low cost I'll go for it. For now, I use the gel caps, I don't seem to have any negative effects other than super light headache that is taken care of with 1 Tylenol. Just curious about the above comments because I may on occasion want to use it sooner than a week. I let my wife know about what I was doing to ensure I have some accountability to avoid abuse or misuse, I typically stay silent on what I do for the most part because I take fairly high doses of most medicines I take, but this one I can tell has a potential for abuse since it actually provided a result unlike most others I've taken.

My real end goal is to see if shrooms can have lasting effects on the depression, which I have higher hopes for based on how I responded to DXM. Safe to say, something to live for and look forward to as I work the ensure I understand it and proceed properly. Maybe there's a chance my "treatment-resistant depression" will be treatable. Let me know if I'm missing anything or not being careful, I will take all feedback to heart.

Any particular reason I can only do it once a week? What if I occasionally do another in let's say 2 or 3 days? Any issues with this? Would I need to dose a little higher to account for potential tolerance increase?

When I find a source for powder that's low cost I'll go for it. For now, I use the gel caps, I don't seem to have any negative effects other than super light headache that is taken care of with 1 Tylenol. Just curious about the above comments because I may on occasion want to use it sooner than a week. I let my wife know about what I was doing to ensure I have some accountability to avoid abuse or misuse, I typically stay silent on what I do for the most part because I take fairly high doses of most medicines I take, but this one I can tell has a potential for abuse since it actually provided a result unlike most others I've taken.

My real end goal is to see if shrooms can have lasting effects on the depression, which I have higher hopes for based on how I responded to DXM. Safe to say, something to live for and look forward to as I work the ensure I understand it and proceed properly. Maybe there's a chance my "treatment-resistant depression" will be treatable. Let me know if I'm missing anything or not being careful, I will take all feedback to heart.

You could probably get away with using it twice a week, but the antidepressant effects of DXM last for two to three days after your dose so more shouldn't be necessary (I can't say conclusively that you wouldn't be able to use it more often than that without any major repercussions than, but this IS a harm reduction forum after all). It's easy, however, to become accustomed to being comfortable with your mental state. The tolerance builds rapidly and the mental health benefits subside with regular use.

The bigest downside to using DXM on a too regular basis is the brain zaps, similar to what one might expect to experience after sudden discontinuation of an SSRI. Addiction, hard as it is to believe that one can become addicted to DXM, is also a real possibility. Please make sure you're not on any meds or recreational drugs that could have dangerous interactions too.

Search the net, I've found 100g DXM powder for under 100$, but that's the most I can say here.