View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM and buspar bad reaction.

beefy66

Greenlighter
On thursday night I took 500mg of DXM. I was on buspar at thr time for anxiety. The next day I woke up feelimg very disoriented and lethargic and numb. I discontinued the buspar and the feeling has continued. Yesterday I went to the emergency room and had a blood pressure of 180/100. Today I got checked again and it was down to 125/88. What could have happened and will I be ok?

DXM is a serotonin transporter inhibitor and buspirone is a partial 5-HT1A receptor (a sub-type of serotonin receptor, it also acts on other sub-types but to a far lesser degree) agonist so there could have been adverse interactions between the two drugs.
I would not recommend using DXM or stimulant drugs (especially MDMA and methamphetamine) while on Buspar, there seems to be potential for serotonin syndrome

Last edited:
I realized this after doing some research. I talked to the doctor at the ER about this and he didn't think I had serotonin syndrome. I'm still worried because this feeling is lingering for so long. Do you think I will be alright?

You'll be fine. Just stop taking any recreational drugs, eat healthy, get exercise, and plenty of sleep.

DXM made me feel fucking weird for a few weeks, and I only used it twice.

This chemical seems to have a penchant for this; I'm not the only one to experience weird after effects, but DXM is the only drug I've personally experienced these weird after effects with.

They went a way, and were certainly enhanced/synergised by weed, which I was using habitually at the time.

(You'll be fine, just don't take any drugs)

Just an update. My condition seems to be improving gradually and after some moderate exercise today I felt much better. One effect that hasn't really diminished is an inability to orgasm but I'm sure it will with time. Appreciate everyone that posted.

Just an update. My condition seems to be improving gradually and after some moderate exercise today I felt much better. One effect that hasn't really diminished is an inability to orgasm but I'm sure it will with time. Appreciate everyone that posted.

DXM has a long hangover. It will go away; just wait it out.
I'm a girl, but I have never had trouble orgasaming, even while peaking on DXM. Idk if you are male; hopefully some guys will chime in.

DXM has a long hangover. It will go away; just wait it out.
I'm a girl, but I have never had trouble orgasaming, even while peaking on DXM. Idk if you are male; hopefully some guys will chime in.
I am a guy. I don't recall ever having this problem with DXM before. Maybe it has something to do with the medication I was on.

ok well this difficulty has thankfully subsided. Looks like there is hope after all.

I was taking a nootropic a couple of months back (Rhodiola rosea) and it fucked with my sexual disfunction. Certainly puts the shits up you. Thankfully though, it was chemically induced and it went away. Still shit myself.

still feeling weird a full week later, although improved and the orgasm problem has been resolved. Won't be fucking with DXM ever again probably.

still feeling weird a full week later, although improved and the orgasm problem has been resolved. Won't be fucking with DXM ever again probably.

It gave me derealisation and depersonalisation for a good few weeks IIRC.

It gave me derealisation and depersonalisation for a good few weeks IIRC.
yeah that's pretty much what I'm experiencing currently. Also have a weird tired/lethargic feeling. Just sucks because it's interfering with school. One strange thing is that I've done DXM many times and never had after effects lasting this long, although I wasn't on medication during those times and this is my first time using it in over 2 years.