View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM + Alcohol, trying to figure out what happened

nullpoint

Greenlighter
A few days ago I was chilling out, having a few beers, when I suddenly had the urge to just get fucked up out of boredom. I finished my six-pack of beer and had nothing laying around but some DXM-only gelcaps. I figured I'd take a few just to see what would happen. I took 60 mg in total, a very low dose, especially considering I clock in at 220 pounds.

Normally I can kill six beers, stay up a few hours while drinking a liter+ of water while sobering up, sleep pretty well and wake up feeling mostly fine. After that small dose of DXM, however, my shit was fucked. About an hour after dropping the caps, I was feeling kind of incoherent. Motor skills were impaired heavily, holding conversations was really difficult and I couldn't focus on much of anything. I also felt super damn drowsy. I laid down in bed and passed out quickly. I slept strangely. I don't remember dreams, but I remember waking up constantly throughout the night.

That part all makes sense to me, the DXM increased the effects of the alcohol substantially. That is a reasonable interaction, and one I anticipated. I didn't anticipate how MUCH it did at such a small dose though. Is that pretty normal given the circumstances?

The part that makes the least sense to me is how I felt the day after. I've taken a 200 mg dose of DXM once before and had a first plateau experience, very restless and speedy and it made me want to go do EVERYTHING all at once. A pleasant experience all-in-all. The day after that experience, I felt mostly fine with a small "afterglow"; it wasn't unpleasant.

This time, however, on 60 mg, the hangover was very unpleasant, even after 11 hours of sleep! I felt nauseated in a non-alcohol kind of way, I also felt like my motor functions were still impaired and holding conversations was still difficult. It was really hard to focus on anything or keep my train of thought. I was super scared that I had caused brain damage and that I would always be this way now (haha), but after another night's sleep, I was mostly fine. I still sort of feel a bit off, but maybe it's just my imagination.

My personal theory is that my p450 enzymes were flooded with the alcohol so my body couldn't break the DXM down until the alcohol was gone, so it sat in my system for a lot longer, making it sort of like a much higher dose than I actually took. The hangover may have been caused by an elevated level of serotonin in my brain due to the DXM hanging around for so long. Or maybe it was just the combined effects of two different hangovers mingling together... Any ideas?

Never going to do that again, just want to figure out why it went down that way. Do you guys think I caused any brain or liver damage?