View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM 76 times in 3 years

MarcusJD9999

Bluelighter
Within the last 3 years, I have taken DXM about 76 times. Is this a lot of dxm use? I did take DXM about 14 times in one month during this time period, and have binged on it as well several times, even taking it for 6 consecutive days once. I had a break of 9 months in that time period as well, and thats the longest I went without it consecutively in those 3 years. I was dosing for once a month for a period during that time as well, and not long after that ended up taking DXM almost every day for a month (with several days of sobriety in that period, so technically, not every day. And then went to once every 4 days the month after that month, then to once a week, like two days in a row, and finally I almost dosed 9 days in a row, but with a couple days of rest in their.

That was the last time I took DXM, because I realized it was becoming an addiction. It has been a month now and I haven't taken DXM since then. It was only the last 4 months of this three year period that it was becoming an addiction, because I binged a couple times and was doing it a lot, almost everyday towards the end, but with a couple days of sober thrown in. It wasn't really an addiction and wasn't too much of a problem until recently. I was using it more occasionally and in moderation when I first started. It was just something I used every now and then, not more habitually to where it became part of my life.

Do you think this kind of use is considered severe or more mild, also how often has any others used DXM like this? I would be interested to hear your stories and how it affected you and your life. Also if anyone wants to talk about DXM and how we can use it and your experiences I would be interested in talking about it and discussing DXM use and how it affected you and what you used it for and just anything in general.

Last edited:
That's abuse, but abuse severity is about how it effects your life. Some people abuse DXM everyday or every other day for years.

DXM tends to accumulate so it would have to be 2 days apart to be considered sober. The fact that you did 14 in one month and in the other 36 months you did about 60 trips, means it's only twice a month... not "with a few sober day thrown in"

That's abuse, but abuse severity is about how it effects your life. Some people abuse DXM everyday or every other day for years.

DXM tends to accumulate so it would have to be 2 days apart to be considered sober. The fact that you did 14 in one month and in the other 36 months you did about 60 trips, means it's only twice a month... not "with a few sober day thrown in"

Yeah my DXM use was pretty random over those three years. Some months I tripped once, some twice, some I tripped every 4 days, several different binges on different occasions, one binge at 6 days straight, some months I didn't even trip at all, their was a period where I went 9 months straight without tripping during that three years, taking a break. So I pretty much didn't trip twice a month, every month, and keep it that way during those three years. I did keep it close to once a month for a while, but during those three years, my use was kind of spread out, with different amounts at different times. The only time I did it everyday was one month of those three years, and had breaks where one day i wouldnt trip that month

Well during the winter of the last year, I was using LSA along with my once a month Dxm experiments, so I was tripping once a month on DXM, and once a month on LSA that time period. During this three years, I have done acid and mushrooms as well, during times of abstinence from Dxm. But for the addiction phase, just one mushroom time in their, away from Dxm days, like during break periods.

Well, Dxm is readily available anytime, at a variety of different stores and pharmacy, and is very cheap. Much easier access. I had taken mushrooms and lsd before during these three years, I had breaks of no DXM use at all during the three years, and had a chance for classic psychs. I had a connect for something classic during the addiction phase, and did that once (mushies) when I had a break from it during the binge and addiction phase. Well, Dexy was easier to get and right their, anytime. Abundance in availability, when I go shopping for other things at Walmart or wherever their is the pharmacy...just pick it up and ad to cart with groceries or other items. So easy to obtain. Plus, the fact that I was doing it a lot, had led to me growing with its effects and getting used to it, building a relationship with it. Just because that is what I ended up doing, and had grown to like its effects simply because I was using it a lot. I don't know, traditional psychs isn't something I see people getting addicted too and using that much, it just doesn't seem that way. Dex is more of a dissociative as well I high doses and lower doses, which I did the majority of the consecutive time spans, is not that intense or psychedelic in lower doses. I don't know man, I liked its effects and some of my doses during the addiction were lower doses, and I could go out and function in society and public without looking like I'm on some intense drugs, such as higher doses. I went out walking in town once and got stopped by police while on a higher dose, but not a really high dose.......in conclusion most of my doses during the addiction, I had built a tolerance and wasn't "tripping balls" per se, just really high and slightly drunk feeling, nothing where I would be robo walking and stumbling around, barely able to walk in such a high dose. Well, I did several high doses to where I couldn't walk, but during the addiction phase, most of it I was able to go out in public and walk around fine with no one suspecting I am messed up.

The hiding your intoxication, poly-drug use and "justifying" of your use makes it something you might want to examine closer.

I'd call it abuse. I did DXM almost daily for years. It affected my life negatively and currently i'm trying to quit, have been trying to quit for like 2 years now but i think i finally got it down.

The hiding your intoxication, poly-drug use and "justifying" of your use makes it something you might want to examine closer.

I don't take DXM anymore. Don't know if you read the entire post or not, but this post was about past Dxm use, not something I am still doing.

I'd call it abuse. I did DXM almost daily for years. It affected my life negatively and currently i'm trying to quit, have been trying to quit for like 2 years now but i think i finally got it down.

You can do it, I believe you can quit. I never took it daily for years so I don't know what that would be like, must not be easy. Good luck.

As someone who's never taken DXM, what exactly are the addictive qualities? Physical dependence or psychological? I honestly can't work out what would compel someone to take any psychoactive drug so frequently (though I suppose weed may be an exception to this). For a near-daily user, would the doses taken be enough to feel much more than a good buzz from it or what

Why do you consider weed an exception?

The intoxication was appealing to me when I no longer could get alcohol. I was using it about 3-4 times a week. All it is is just a buzz at that point. It's a buzz all the time and that's the appeal, since I was coming off alcohol at the time. That was for a month and and half.

The sheer number of people I know who smoke it super frequently yet never lose any ability to function. Might also be personal experience, whereby I have never managed to get high enough to consider it anything like tripping, so I suppose it'd be relative to just a buzz. I haven't had anything truly active in lower doses that didn't make me feel shitty either, so at least so far as my experience goes low doses of something psychedelic don't fully compute hahah

I enjoy dabs as a way to lower my overall intake, not accounting for varying strength completely has made me "trip out" but it is more manageable since my spice days. Man... I used to be a lot less healthy, and that's saying something! Haha

I just always think it's interesting to hear people excuse marijauna, especially for the reason that "lots of people smoke it and don't seem to be adversely affected." Since the way I think about it is if every drug effects every person differently then shouldn't even excusing weed be kinda of a bad idea? It gives a false sense of safety. For example look at the rise of marijauna induced stomach pains (I forgot the medical term) in chronic smokers since the rise in legalization, had people been warned there are in fact "some dangers" wouldn't there be less doctors visits?

But I digress; I think you are correct a about the personal experience part if I understood correctly. :)

I did a bunch of dxm when i was a teenager, but nothing close to what you are describing. It was fun but ultimately not that rewarding. Psychedelics ended up being far more interesting for me personally. I think i did it more as an escape from painful circumstances.

Your use might be defined as abuse if it's having serious negative effects on your life financially, physically or mentally that outweighs the positive effects of the use. Think hard about the cumulative effects it's having in those areas and if you get a sense the negatives outweigh the positives then try and convince yourself to quit. Continuing use despite realizing doing so is overall detrimental to you is a pretty strong sign of addiction which succeeds abusive consumption of a drug. If it's hard to quantify the net negative/positive overall effects of the DXM on you maybe you could ask a closely trusted friend who you can confide in and who might be able to give you some insight; failing that you could try dropping some acid and contemplating your usage(JK..sorta;))

yeah i'd say that's def a bit too much to call casual usage. I've used as much or more and can attest that if you're not using pure DXM you're not doing anything good to your kidneys. Redosing too quick is also rough on the body, and perhaps brain as well. DXM should be approached as like a once-weekly-max thing IMHO but I doubt you've done anything irreparable to yourself yet, assuming you don't take any Tylenol/CPM/guafenisen/etc "helper" chemicals with the dex. If you'd like to discuss dxm in more detail, hit me up; I don't want to come off as potentially advertising it to the public ya know.

-rob

Your use might be defined as abuse if it's having serious negative effects on your life financially, physically or mentally that outweighs the positive effects of the use. Think hard about the cumulative effects it's having in those areas and if you get a sense the negatives outweigh the positives then try and convince yourself to quit. Continuing use despite realizing doing so is overall detrimental to you is a pretty strong sign of addiction which succeeds abusive consumption of a drug. If it's hard to quantify the net negative/positive overall effects of the DXM on you maybe you could ask a closely trusted friend who you can confide in and who might be able to give you some insight; failing that you could try dropping some acid and contemplating your usage(JK..sorta;))

"it's hard to quantify the net negative/positive overall effects of the DXM on you". Yeah it is hard because different posts say different things and sometimes they contradict each other.
Thanks for sharing!

Firstly IMO it's the role it plays in your life that determines what the abuse / use means: for example I use psychedelics for different reasons than why I use narcotics and usually dissociatives eventually tend to fall with the narcotics and not the psychedelics. It's not about what it says about the manifestations of the mind for me, but rather about the escapist qualities to numbing AND dissociating. Certain dissociatives are called psychedelic heroin for a reason. We ought to focus on that heroin bit rather than the psychedelic bit.

I could not judge psychedelics in the same way, because they are unsuitable for such escapist purposes. Even if they remove me from reality, the trip they give is more confronting than reality and not intrinsically soothing at all. It's only soothing when I feel good about myself in the first place.

I would personally be quite skeptical about any supposed transformative-or-not positives of dissociatives because you would not need to use them frequently for harmless therapeutic purposes. It's the problems that are relieved that make it feel more rewarding to do often, that's a typical thing.

That there are interesting things and similarities about psychedelics make all of this confusing, and also LSA happens to be a relatively narcotic psychedelic that for me tends to make me feel heavy / drowsy and tranced, a little like low to moderate AMT.. but you might be able to figure out more about that being honest about the roles these substances play. It's easy to fool yourself with justifying reasons, but it's the real underlying reasons you want.. the ones you kind of have to admit.

Availability is a fair but still poor reason to choose drugs, especially to use frequently. It's possible having other drugs available would clarify which drugs you'd turn to and why.

I did not count how many times ive done dxm in my life but i have a permanent tolerance to it now so even with 70kg weigth, a whole gram of dxm doesnt even get me to the first plateau :/ ive given up on the substance. It was fun while it lasted.

There was a period of time in my life where I abused psychedelics (stuff like DOC, 2C-B, AMT, etc), I was taking them weekly or more often, and the purpose actually did eventually become to escape. I was in a bad relationship and opiate addicted, and tripping helped me to feel artificially good, and focus on something that wasn't my own life. Thus, it was a problem for me, and I was abusing them. Nowadays I go through periods of weekly psychedelic use and I definitely use them at least once a month, I'll even trip multiple days in a row sometimes. But the way I am using them is different, I am using them to aid creativity in creating music and art, or to enhance the experience of seeing live music, or hiking. I might trip 2 days in a row at a music festival, to enhance the experience. I don't feel that I'm abusing them now because I am using them to enhance my life and aid in pursuing my passions, and I don't see any negative ramifications from my use, I am healthy and happy and I am fully functioning and in fact excelling at my life, things like my job, relationships, etc. So, even though there were times I took them no more often than now, I was abusing them during those times, and not now.

Basically I'm saying it depends on whether you're using them in a way that is detrimental to your life or health. Chronic escapism is an example of detrimental use (escaping once in a while is cool but if it becomes a pattern I think it moves into negative territory). To me it sounds like that is not the case for you, but only you can answer that.