Dumpster Diving

Kul69

Bluelighter
Does anyone know the law regarding dumpster diving in California? Meaning, going into dumpsters for random usable crap. Also, if there's a lock on a dumpster and you break it, is that now breaking and entry?

you can rummage through dumpsters if they are on the street. If they are on the property, it may be considered trespassing. Cops can do the same for evidence. If there is a lock, of course you can not break it-- that is vandalism.

There are many cities which have ordinances that prohibit "scavenging". Often, this is a misdemeanor. Breaking into a locked container is burglary in any state, even a garbage container.

X

Breaking into a dumpster would certainly not be allowed.

I've gone along with some friends who did this in an industrial park once, trying to find computer parts ... Even if there is a law against it (which I can't think of a reason for; it is legal to go through garbage on the street but not recyclables AFAIK), you would likely just be asked to leave if caught by a security guard or policeman.

Adam X said:
There are many cities which have ordinances that prohibit "scavenging". Often, this is a misdemeanor. Breaking into a locked container is burglary in any state, even a garbage container.

I'm pretty sure dumpster diving would be governed by a city ordinance rather than state law if property was not destroyed and the lock not broken, for example if you were to come across an open dumpster and then rummaged through it, that would not be burglary. However, when you break the lock it becomes burglary as Adam X stated.

I am sure I don't need to state what a potentially dangerous, not to mention unsanitary, thing to do this is.

:)