Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Drying wet cocaine

cLaTTeReD

Bluelighter
Hello all

ok so I have now converted base > HCl

i have evaporated the water off in the oven and have scraped the bowl I used to dry it in the oven.

i am left with a waxy lump that weighs 2.0g which is an ok yield I suppose. I would post a pic but I can't see how from with an iPad :(

any ideas on how to desiccate the lump I am left with? I need to get it back to a fine dry powder for snorting.

Thanks for your help

For anyone who needs to do it, worked perfectly when I moved the stuff from the bottom shelf to the top shelf in the oven.
Lovely dry powder :)

Pretty sure the Columbians microwave it but sounds like you got your result.

yes i had left it on the bottom of the oven for hours worried about damage, but moving it to the top dried it out a treat.

it was supposed to be pukka stuff (and it normally is from him) but going by before and after weight its about 57% pure. There are of course some cuts in it that i may not have removed

but i could always wash in chloroform too :)

Heat rises. Fan assisted ovens Do help but they don't completely take away the laws of physics.

Heat rises. Fan assisted ovens Do help but they don't completely take away the laws of physics.

Not sure just how much sarcasm was aimed at me then but i suppose i did sound a little dim =D. Didn't realise just how poor the fan in an oven was at equally distributing the heat, learn something new everyday.

Pretty sure levamisole is impossible to remove. I could be wrong but that was the impression i have been under.

Pretty sure levamisole is impossible to remove. I could be wrong but that was the impression i have been under.

i am reliably informed by a german chemist that levamisole can be removed with chloroform - not sure why the fact he is german is relavant...

Levamisole: As far as I read, in the Merck Index is written, that Levamisole is almost insoluble in chloroform (unfortunately none of the MI is available to me). Cocaine is not (80 g/l or for Americans 12,5 ml/g). Chloroform recrystallization should not be operated by non-chemists
smiley18.gif
. But a chemistry student in the first semester should be able to get rid of the majority of the f*ing Levamisole by leaving it as residuum in the filter. The remaining amount can be removed by oxidation (The divalent sulphur in Levamisole would not survive treatment with oxidants.) or decomposition (At pH 4-5 cocaine should stand, but Levamisole should break down to a Thiol, which can be removed with non-polar solvents as diethyl ether. That might take a few days...)¹. Chloroform recrystallization also removes Methylphenidate (Ritalin) if it's used as blending agent.

however in not such good news...

Lidocaine is a plague, you cannot get rid of this crap, if it's in the sample. You can only detect it and say: "No, thanks." I wouldn't accept lidocaine-contaminated substances, because I have no idea how to get rid of this stuff again.

Not sure just how much sarcasm was aimed at me then but i suppose i did sound a little dim =D. Didn't realise just how poor the fan in an oven was at equally distributing the heat, learn something new everyday.

No sarcasm for once. Sorry if I came off that way xx

I bake....

Dried out fine, I still managed to use too much HCl and it burned The shit out of my nose. Live and learn. Next time I will get it spot on

Have you access to vacuum? and don't worry about chloroform, it doesn't bite. Shouldn't be used as an intoxicant as it sensitizes the heart to nor/adrenaline which predisposes to arrythmias.
But its used in cough mixture even (its in some codeine linctus still, tastes great in cocktails haha. Gives them a great sweetish taste and scent that goes really well with lime, ether and good vodka. Probably won't see that one in sainsbury's any time soon, but still, works for me=D.)

If your going to get the shits about any solvent you might use, diisopropyl ether would be the one. The devil's own, as far as peroxidation is concerned.
As for methylphenidate, I quite enjoy methyl/ethylphenidate IV.

Some things you could try if you have no vac pump or aspirator.

Chemical dessicants. A proper dessicator is handy to have but if you haven't one its more or less just a glass pot with a lip on the internal side on which there is placed a removable mesh, and then in the space below, a chemical dessicant such as anhydrous calcium chloride, anhydrous magnesium sulfate, to name a couple of common and non-aggressive ones. For troublesome compounds, phosphorus pentoxide in a disposable nonmetallic container or a ceramic dish (its the anhydride of phosphoric acid, and concentrated (80%+ IIRC) phosphoric acid attacks glass, etches it like hydrofluoric acid, although this is much more pronounced when its hot. Or there is azeotropic distillation. Find a solvent that does not dissolve cocaine, nor is strongly basic (can cleave the ester bridge) then suspend the coke in it, the solvent needs to azeotrope with H2O. Benzene would work, toluene too, don't know if acetonitrile dissolves coke HCl, but since its strongly polar it wouldn't be surprising. Actually not that it matters if the coke is already purified.

Not sure if it forms an azeotrope with water but if it does, and I can check if you need, but it has a low BP, and avoid both alcohol and ester solvents, lest there be an ex-vivo transesterification. Not sure if it will do so ex vivo without enzymatic assistance but I'd not use them all the same. If not acetonitrile then benzene is a good bet, that will distill off and carry away the water. Only suitable for small quantities of water but will work fine for this.

Last edited:
Cheers Chicken limpet.

I do actually have some diethyl ether now and have found an eBay supplier that sells 1000ml for 60quid. At that price I can't be bothered to make it myself.

I may have found some good mephedrone though and may try that again before I purify some more Charlie :)

Ether is cheap to make using denatured (methanol only) ethanol. One simply needs boiling hot concentrated sulfuric acid, and to drip in the alcohol from a sep or addition funnel. Too hot and you get mainly ethylene (ethene), IIRC right temp is about 120'C, just keep the boiling sulfuric lower than 150 and you're golden mate, slow addition of EtOH drip by dribble and distill out the diethyl ether as it forms. Its an old fashioned method but far cheaper than the william synthesis, where an alkoxide is reacted with an alkyl halide. Or tosylate, brosylate, nosylate etc. but not essential. And really, ethanol and concentrated sulfuric is as cheap as your gonna get. 60 quid for a liter of ether is a fucking rip IMO. I wouldn't pay that for one liter of ether, buggering bollocks to that for a lark.

Also with regards to ether(s), they should not be feared, but are often highly flammable and very volatile. Also, they have a tendency towards forming extremely heat, shock and friction-sensitive primary high explosive peroxides and some less hideously unstable but still unstable and nasty shit hydroperoxides.

These can, in the case of old bottles of ethers, accumulate in the screw thread of the bottle, from the ether in the vapor phase passing through the threads.
Needless to say, this is a bad thing, and it turns from a bottle of old solvent, into a bomb. No two ways about it. A bomb. Courtesy of the highly brisant, powerful and unstable HEs in crusty old ether. This can do devastating damage when it goes off. I've seen a picture of the aftermath of such an event. In this case I believe the ether in question was THF (tetrahydrofuran, a common cyclic ether used as a solvent, in particular, I and others, use it for performing reductions using LAH (lithium aluminium hydride, LiAlH4) and other hydride reducing agents, as a polar aprotic solvent.

It had peroxidized, and gone off with an almighty wallop. Ground zero, took the form of a fridge. Or rather what was left of a fridge after the bottle of peroxidized ether inside went off like the bomb it was, blasting the fridge to pieces, which were subsequently blown through the ceiling, not few of those pieces of discombooberated fridge actually embedded IN the ceiling, straight up blown through the fucking roof like armor piercing bullets in fridge-innards form.

And not to mention, as an aside, the shockwave blew out every damn window in the lab of the poor bastard who's lab it was.
Thankfully, that was a laboratory other than mine own well nigh life-long labour of love, thank fuck, mine own pride and joy remains un-blasted by peroxidized THF-bottle-bombs and it lives to research another day (as of course, do I:))

To test for peroxides beginning to form in ethers, such as diethyl ether, THF, dioxane (a cyclic diether with more than one positional isomer, however 1,4-dioxane, where both oxygens are oriented para to each other, is the commonly used lab solvent), and diisopropyl ether, a nifty solvent useful especially for extracting polar compounds from polar solvents, but which should be handled with great caution because diisopropyl ether has bought advance tickets for the peroxide prom. Its even bought it's own peroxy-prom dress way in advance, wearing a sexy pair of secondary carbon atoms adjacent to the ether bridging oxygen, ethers that are slutty and wave a pair of secondary carbons right up in lil' miss oxygen's face, are well known for being particularly naughty and can be explosive when challenged.

Before entry to the ball they, and especially naughty old diisopropyl, should be rigorously searched for concealed weapons lest the shifty sod be concealing peroxides and the intermediate hydroperoxide, this search can be accomplished by means of test papers made by soaking potassium iodide solution into starch-rich paper; if peroxide is present it turns iodiney violet-black and then the peroxides can be destroyed by means of addition of manganous salts, or ferrous (not ferric, ferrOUS) chloride. Then the ether needs to be distilled once the peroxide is destroyed. Then test again and once peroxide free, distill and keep in an airtight bottle. I degas mine by means of sparging with a tank of argon, the hose connected to one of those fishtank airstones to bubble it through, then fill any deadspare in the bottle with the heavy, inert argon gas too, and store cool, away from direct sunlight. Direct sunlight, sparging the distilled ether with inert gas, its not vital, hell its probably overkill, but I don't want my lab blasted to smithereens by a massive shockwave. It is the work of a lifetime, and I've had to put it together and repair it twice thanks to illegal abuse from the fucking pig filth donutmunching cunts.

What I've put together, my lab setup is truly, a labour of love, I like nothing better than with the money I do not consume as food and beverage, or drugs of course, to purchase new equipment, love it when solvent refill days come and I go and restock bigtime after saving up lots, and of course ESPECIALLY, I can think of nothing non-human that I adore more, than either buying, or being bought, new lab glassware. (such as, I was positively fizzing with delighted gleefulness and grinning like a dirty great big grinner that just shot up a huge line of coke and started grinning wide enough to tear its own grin off to reveal the big fat grin below, the time my old man got me a new vacuum pump and pump oil for a recent years barfday=D)

Moral of the story, watch your ethers, don't be afraid of them, remember the volatility and flammability. Treat diethyl ether for peroxides using iodide test strips and if peroxidized to a dregree as shown up by the strips then go in with ferrous iron salts or manganous salts. Store the treated ether, after distillation to purify, with a decently sized coil of copper wire in the bottles, this will help prevent more peroxidation from occurring.

Diethyl ether-inspect yearly.
Diisopropyl ether peroxidizes especially rapidly, inspect it every three months.

THF also peroxidizes somewhat quickly, but not nearly as demoniacally fast as iPrOiPr, I'd test it every somewhere in the middle and remember, secondary alcohol ethers with the secondary carbon snuggled up next to the bridging oxygen atom peroxidize fast. Also when USING ether, THF or whatever (whatether, rather...see what I did there;)) they should never be distilled to dryness, don'l let a still with ether in it boil dry, because this concentrates the peroxides if present and can induce explosion. Its better to when taking off the last of the ether of whatever kind, to test for/treat for peroxides, a drop withdrawn with a pippette on the iodide/starch paper is all you need, if you get a reaction with it, then treat as usual, add some more of a less volatile, higher boiling solvent, then evaporate the ether from that, finishing, if you need the solvent gone and cannot extract from it, actually need it evaporated, by doing so with the higher boiling solvent once the ether has gone from it. Remember the possibility that some solvents form azeotropes; mixtures that once a certain concentration is reached distil at a constant ratio respective of each other.

There, hope the tips and wee niblet of safety advice regarding the cheap way to prepare, and best, safest ways to store, use and handle diethyl ether and other ethers you may come across in the lab proves useful.

LC

Last edited:
I do have a 250ml separating funnel, I don't have a hot plate though.
i also don't want to be doing that kind of shit in the house, I need to get my "lab" set up in the garage.

on a side note, is it ok to wash coke with anhydrous methanol rather than ethanol as it's much easier to get in the uk?
can easily dry it with some magnesium sulphate

Your posts amaze me Limpet. I wish i understood chemistry like you do. Only did very basic overview stuff in my degree and that was just in respect to what happens in the human body. You are obviously all over it.