• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Drugs to up-regulate dopamine receptors ...

neone

Bluelighter
I don't know what did I used (ssri for 2 months and stopped cold turkey - valium) that caused this lethargy (which Lyrica is good for it at 150-350 mg and gives me energy and motivation)

I think the cause of this lethargy is desensitization of dopamine receptors (especially that I used alcohol on occasion too)... so I think up regulating dopamine is the better route than using dopamine agonists which would make things worse long term and than depending on lyrica which can form tolerance fast ...

Memantine
DXM
Nicotine

I read potential reports as well as looking into their pharmacologies that they help in up regulation of dopamine receptors ( memantine and nicotine specifically )

And I have read a user say that one DXM trip (around first or second plateau) made him return to his happy self (with fully working reward dopamine system) after the trip ended. Specifically the DXM metabolite that has strong affinity to NMDA.

Can anyone say if any of those will help ?

Edit : Also seroquel since its reversible antagonist for most dopamine receptors won't it theoritically up regulate them ?

Last edited:
Indeed, personally for me very sparse DXM use is wonderful for a sort of antidepressant use. I don't use it anymore but found my best experiences with it was once very two weeks or so, just to refresh myself. The metabolite 3-hydroxymorphinan has dopamine preservation effects but too much dxm can be counterproductive.

Rather than the antipsychotic which will no doubt increase your feelings of lethargy you may want to look into this:

http://examine.com/supplements/bacopa-monnieri/#summary3-2

Last edited:
Motivation is much more complex than DA receptors, you are missing the forest for the trees here.

Check your diet, exercise, bloodwork and vitamin levels.

Indeed, personally for me very sparse DXM use is wonderful for a sort of antidepressant use. I don't use it anymore but found my best experiences with it was once very two weeks or so, just to refresh myself.
Yeah, DXM has much more to promise than just it's moderate cough-suppressing qualities: It's actually a worthy rapid-acting antidepressant! But it comes with it's side effects too, and works best when used once a week or so in low (125-175mg) dosage probably.

While it's certainly true that motivation isn't just about dopamine, I'd say it's quite probable that DXM does promote DA as well as endorphin neurotransmission (over indirect downstream mechanisms).

Edit: The antagonism of seroquel doesn't readily up-regulate dopamine receptors, you get more dysphoria out of it than any beneficial after effects probably.

Last edited:
Motivation is much more complex than DA receptors, you are missing the forest for the trees here.

Check your diet, exercise, bloodwork and vitamin levels.

This. But I've read that CDP-Choline increases dopamine receptor density.

Hello there, I don't believe your problem is dopamine down regulation (SSRIs cause mostly serotonin downregulation anyways, and alcohol causes mainly GABA down regulation), but no matter what your problem is I would advise getting some exercise/cardio and sleeping well. This will benefit your brain greatly. You might look into a 5-HT2A antagonist such as low dose Seroquel to help with sleep sleep however, if you're having sleep problems. Mindfulness meditation can also be incredibly valuable. Eating healthy is helpful as well. Best of luck to you, any questions are welcome.