• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Drugs that can benefit long-lasting confidence issues

aperson444

Greenlighter
Hello everyone,

I have seen a thread in the BDD archives on drugs that increase confidence in general, but I wanted to see if I'd get the same response for this situation: suppose one has an actual diagnosed (professionally diagnosed) disorder that severely impacts confidence (especially, but not limited to social confidence). What drugs would be optimal for boosting confidence such that the individual can perform normally in the stressful situations?

My problem has been ongoing for most of my life, but I was only recently (<4 years ago) diagnosed with two disorders that can affect confidence a lot. I've tried the conventional routes: psychotherapy and medication. I've also tried some alternative treatments (meditation mostly). While I have made progress significantly, the progress is typically very slow and there are often major setbacks. I'll spare the details. Basically, I avoid social interactions, I function awkwardly in such cases, I lack self-confidence, and often lapse into periods of suicidal ideation. Now I'm convinced that psychotherapy isn't going to work. I more or less already know the roots of my issues, so classical psychotherapy won't help a whole lot. Cognitive therapy has not been working very well because my thought process always lapses back to the same destructive cycle (no matter how aware I am of it). I have gained the most benefit out of (conventional) medication, but it has been limited and has taken a toll on my quality of life. Right now, I am convinced that a "recreational" drug or a dose of a conventional drug that can be considered "recreational" will help.

This is what I am taking right now:

Sertraline, 150 mg
Bupropion XR, 300 mg

I have taken fluoxetine up to a decently high dose, but it stopped working after a while, so sertraline was the next option. Unfortunately, I am starting to notice the tolerance effect of SSRIs. For the most part sertraline has increased apathy more than it has benefited me. Bupropion is a terrible stimulant and has side effects that I really do not like. I have also taken lorazepam, but for a different purpose (sleep). It too simply increased my apathy towards everything and anything.

Here is what I have taken recreationally:

Cannabis -- This one has helped me relax and lose some of my inhibitions, but it mostly makes me more hesitant and introverted. Also, it has become a burden to hide the smell of the substance.

Hydrocodone -- Up to 22.5 mg, this has had a similar effect as lorazepam. Induces a numb, apathetic feeling.

Amphetamine -- Up to 60 mg of mixed amphetamine salts. I get a boost in confidence when it comes to academic things (i.e taking tests), but I cannot focus well enough to channel my energy into constructive interactions.

MDA -- One experience at 200 mg. This was synthesized by a very dear friend of mine, so I am certain of its purity. I was not in a great mental state at the time, and the SSRI medications dampened the effects. Incredible experience and the closest I have come to full loss of inhibition.

LSD -- Twice. Dosage was probably around 120 micrograms. Great for introspection and really gave me a new view on life, but it did not give me any benefit in the field of social anxiety.

25c-NBoMe -- Multiple times, max dosage at 1.2 milligrams. Terrible for confidence/social situations. Great experience, but not what I'm looking for.

Alcohol -- Depresses my psychological state, makes me obnoxiously pessimistic, and I puke very easily.

Clonazepam -- Up to 4 mg. Not bad, but it really seemed to work better than a sleep aid than an anxiolytic.

Cyclobenzaprine -- Up to 20 mg? Strangely, this did help me gain confidence in the sense that I was able to act like a complete douchebag to someone, but more in a pessimistic "you suck" manner. This was combined with lorazepam (2 mg) and hydrocodone (7.5 mg). The combination was not unlike alcohol, but with a larger amount of apathy.

Ideas:

- Cocaine: Classic stimulant... Short lasting, but enormous confidence boost. My dear friend has a similar problem and has recently obtained around 0.2 grams, and he is running trials as we speak.

- Ketamine/MXE: NMDA antagonists seem to be helpful for treatment resistant depression. They also impact neuroplasticity, and could potentially help to modify the stubborn circuitry that drives my problem.

-Opiates (Hydromorphone, Morphine, Heroin): I can only see these substances making me apathetic enough to simply not care what other people think or if people are looking at me.

- SNDRI/Triple-reuptake inhibitors: Cocaine is an example, but methylphenidate is an NDRI. Seeing as how bupropion has weakly improved my energy levels and ability to approach people, these compounds (NDRIs) could potentially help.

- High doses of psychedelics: Potential implications in neuroplasticity (I think?), but I've yet to see evidence that high doses of LSD/psilocybin can aid social anxiety or confidence problems.

Any experiences that anyone would like to share? Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Exposure seems to backfire every time. Believe me, it's been attempted, though not with the aid of a therapist... Not sure how that would even help.

Your body has less and less anxiety as you adjust...

The drugs will make you spiral out of control.

Recreational drugs for anxiety can backfire on you if you do not use wisely.

Everyone has anxiety in social situations, you can't mask it with drugs forever. But 0.5-1mg Xanax or 10mg Valium would do the trick. Just don't consume much alcohol or re-dose, as you said you throw up easily. A lot of the other drugs you called there induce anxiety, well for me at least, and no anxiety = social confidence.

Well written OP. As Jay said drugs that only mask anxiety and tend to have a short duration. I believe mirtazapine (remeron) could help with the anxiety issues. Benzos may have a place during exposure, be careful as I'm sure you know the risk of dependence. All I can say is don't give up on yourself. You deserve to be happy and the anxiety issue can be overcome.
Try exercise. Ride a bike, walk, get out in the sun and breathe.
Good on you!

I don't recommend these any of anxiety relieving drugs for daily or long term use, but if nothing else works and it is ruining your life a small dose of benzos preferably as needed but if you must than daily those include: Lorazepam (ativan) which you said you've taken for sleep before, but it works well for anxiety. Clonazepam doesn't work as good recreationally or per needed, but when on an anxiety medicine daily it works very well (i'm prescribed it at 1mg twice daily). Xanax (alprazolam) probably the most popular/well known anxiety relieving substance, very potent and effective, not recommended for daily use due to short lasting effects.

And theirs a few more but those are the 3 main medications that are used to treat severe anxiety, but can come with addiction issues if you are not careful and permanent distortions to your brain if discontinued taking them improperly or after long term abuse they say it's worse than heroin withdrawal etc.

Other than that i think everyone personally that suffers with pretty bad anxiety that is not related to drug use, has their own preferences to which drugs help to ease their anxiety the best. Besides the "safer" "legal" route that i mentioned for treating anxiety when all else fails, for ME personally alcohol severely reduces my anxiety levels and sometimes a little more euphoric than benzos are to me. Not that i drink daily or THAT often, but alcohol is the only other drug that has reduced my anxiety by levels besides the benzos i mentioned above. Maybe a low dose of opiates helps a tiny bit too for me but not much else other than benzos and alcohol aka the two of deadliest/dangerous drugs and the two that are legal.

Of all that I would only say spiritual size doses of psychedelics. I stopped drinking (amongst other things) after an amazing, absurdly powerful, ego-loss, acid trip. High dose of mescaline completely changed how I view the world.

In the end though you need to fix the issue at heart, you can't just mask it or hope for the quick fix through drugs. Psychiatric drugs are drugs too. I would really keep working on the meditation, cbt, and exposure therapy.

What I find interesting about drugs that assist with social situations and confidence is that beyond making it easier for you to socialize, they actually seem to allow you to access more "social material" and mental stamina at the same time.

As if its actually allowing you to access more memory and become more socially intelligent, as opposed to just making you more likely or comfortable to engage socially.

That is what has always bothered me. I have always wondered of having confidence (like some substance provide) somehow allows access to more mental resources then when you are nervous and not confident.

Why i say this is because when i am socially "lubricated", not only is it easier to socialize, but I am able to converse in a way where content is naturally flowing that I know for a fact I would usually have such fast access too normally.

Always wondered about this.

While it's not social anxiety, performance anxiety (as before a lecture, a musical recital) can, for many be handled with some of the beta-blockers, propranolol,in particular. First became aware of this decades ago when a couple of cellists were staying with us while performing at a major string instrument competition. While neither won, they both were finalists. I found that i was much more at ease while lecturing if i'd taken propanolol beforehand. You are essentially blocking one of the many feedback mechanisms that promote dis-ease. You don't get the racing heart rate that one consciously and unconsciously associates with stress and tension. Too much IS frustrating if you're exercising as you are essentially putting a governor on your HR.

Gabapentin has helped me be comfortable being myself in social situation leading to more confidence..