• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drugs like ice have Australia hooked

poledriver

Bluelighter
Drugs like ice have Australia hooked

AUSTRALIA is in the midst of an ice epidemic, with the drug being linked to a growing number of crimes, and higher quantities of the amphetamine seized at our borders.

And there is no end in sight to our addiction.

Experts say the popularity of the drug caught Australia unawares, with the usage on par with the crack cocaine epidemic in the United States.

In recent months even the Prime Minister has admitted the war on drugs may be unwinnable.

Evidence showing the extent of the problem emerged last week with an Australian Institute of Criminology (AIC) survey showing large numbers of people who had been arrested had amphetamines in their system, with ice being one of the most common varieties.

Even worse the survey showed the drug was of good quality and easy to obtain.

Drug researcher Associate Professor John Fitzgerald told news.com.au that he didn’t think Australia was prepared for the amphetamine epidemic and it was impossible to say when it would end.

341272-703e9368-ea2b-11e3-873b-5e8c286cce93.jpg

Professor Fitzgerald, who is the head of criminology at the University of Melbourne said the tragedy of drugs like amphetamines was they spread easily through the community to beyond areas where “street drug crime” was prevalent.

Regional Victoria was one example.

The previous drug of choice — heroin — did not have as much reach, so in that respect the amphetamine epidemic was unprecedented.

“Except for cannabis it is (the most popular drug) … Cocaine use isn’t as high as amphetamines.”

Police and addiction experts warned of the dangers of amphetamines from the late 1990s but it is possible the country didn’t understand extent of it until it was too late.

“It’s hard to tell where it’s going to go … We weren’t well prepared for this change.”

Drug trends were difficult to predict but Professor Fitzgerald thinks the epidemic is going to be a difficult problem to solve.

“It’s not going to go away quickly.”

However drug trends usually went in waves so it would be over at some point.

The AIC figures revealed how high availability of amphetamines was.

341324-4431536a-eabb-11e3-873b-5e8c286cce93.jpg

High rates of amphetamine use were detected in police detainees in Kings Cross, Sydney, (61 per cent), East Perth (43 per cent) and Brisbane (41 per cent) with respondents saying the drug was easy to obtain.

Nearly half of all drug offenders tested positive for amphetamine use and nearly a third of violent offenders had it in their system.

The survey has shown increasing use of the drug since 2009.

Jamie Pitts, chief executive of Odyssey House, which offers drug and alcohol programs for addicts, told news.com.au he had heard reports in recent months of a women’s refuge in Sydney being filled with people beaten by partners who were high, or in withdrawal from amphetamines.

“The thing with people who use amphetamines is you can’t communicate with them. They’re off in another world.”

He agrees Australia wasn’t ready for its collision with amphetamines.

“You see drug trends all of the time. But it is now staring us in the face — I don’t think we were really ready.’’

341782-5ff3b524-ea2b-11e3-873b-5e8c286cce93.jpg

Seizures of ice have been steadily increasing. Source: Supplied

About a third of the people being treated at Odyssey House now suffered from amphetamine addictions, a 10 per cent increase in a year.

Last month the Australian Crime Commission (ACC) released its report into illicit drugs which indicated the number of ice seizures was up more than 300 per cent in one year.

Methamphetamines have been linked with a number of brutal crimes in Australia and the acting chief of the ACC Paul Jevtovic likened it to the crack cocaine epidemic wreaking havoc in the United States.

The report said the long-term use of ice can lead to aggressive and violent behaviour, depression, cardiovascular problems, and kidney failure.

The Australian Federal Police say seizures of amphetamines at the border had increased significantly — and were the highest in a decade — after being buoyed by local drug syndicates trying to source precursor drugs needed to cook methamphetamine.

http://www.news.com.au/national/drugs-like-ice-have-australia-hooked/story-fncynjr2-1226942341808

Oh and the article has that rehabs . com video about faces of drug addiction embedded which has USA addicts and a phone number for addiction treatment in the US, for an Australian article?...

Hrm....:\

More baseless fear-mongering...

From the National Drug & Alcohol Research Centre:

In the general population, past 12 month use of methamphetamine has remained low and stable since the early 1990s. The percentage of NDSHS respondents who reported recent use between 1993 and 2010 has ranged between 2.0% - 3.7%, at its peak in 1998, with a significant decrease recorded from 3.2% in 2004 to 2.3% in 2007 (Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2008 ). In 2010, 2.1% of Australians reported past year methamphetamine use (Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2011). Methamphetamine use among school students has declined over time from 6% reporting past year use in 1999 to 2.2% in 2011 (White & Bariola, 2012b). Declines are observable among people who inject drugs surveyed for the Illicit Drug Reporting System (IDRS) and among regular drug users surveyed for the Ecstasy and related Drugs Reporting System (EDRS).

About a third of the people being treated at Odyssey House now suffered from amphetamine addictions, a 10 per cent increase in a year.

That seems considerable.

Last month the Australian Crime Commission (ACC) released its report into illicit drugs which indicated the number of ice seizures was up more than 300 per cent in one year.

So does that.

Wish we'd go back to a heroin epidemic. I was a decade too late for my favorite drug :(

lol, give me the days of the abundance of the strong MDMA pills again please.

Some my old mates from school (in Syd) got into the heroin when cabramatta was flooded with it, a few times they would drive out there (from the northern beaches) and nod out in their car after using and i recall a few times they were busted doing that too.

I never used it, I was to into my E's and LSD and Speed, heroin just wastn't a good drug to use at raves. Unless you wonted to nod out in the chill out room I guess hehe.

I never used it, I was to into my E's and LSD and Speed, heroin just wastn't a good drug to use at raves. Unless you wonted to nod out in the chill out room I guess hehe.

In the brief period where my rave attendance and opiate use intersected, I actually loved taking a few oxy's with me. When you hit that period at 4:30 or 5am where you've been dancing for hours, your pills/speed are starting to wear off and you realize just how sore your feet are, a few lines off oxy and then laying back to melt into the couch is actually a really nice way to end the night.

But no, most people aren't going to shoot H in the bathroom then go hit the dancefloor.

lol, give me the days of the abundance of the strong MDMA pills again please.

At least there actually ''are'' MDMA pills these days. I bought at gigs twice last year and both times the pills were very clean. Not 150mg dutch imports by any means, but they were definitely MDMA and only MDMA. The last rave I went to, pretty much everyone was loved up, it was an amazing change of pace from the angry meth vibe and empty dancefloors during the drought.