• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Drugs + Bupropion + Aripiprazole

panicdepression

Greenlighter
Hi!

There's so much mixed information on the subject, so I thought it would write my own post.

I'm an experienced drug user, with the unfortunate coincidence of having a couple mental disorders. I'm currently on 10mg/daily of Abilify (aripiprazole) and 100mg/daily of Zoloft (sertraline). I'm leaning off the Zoloft (sertraline) and starting Wellburtin (bupropion) at 150mg/daily. I know the anti-psychotic (aripiprazole) will stop almost all drug experiences and it is not safe to take amphetamine based drugs on Zoloft (setraline/SSRI)

I stay away from all amphetamine based drugs, including MDMA, MDA, speed, dex, etc. I mostly only do cocaine because it is the only drug that actually works and it seems safe. I snort ketamine on weekends sometimes, but the dose must be much higher. Acid, I have to take double the dose usually. 2CB works rarely, along with all the other 2C's (2CI, 2CC, 2CE). 4-AKO-DMT works amazingly with only a single dose, just a much shorter trip. Xanax obviously works, but I stopped it after abusing it. All other benzo family drugs work fine. MXE doesn't work that well, only makes me tired. The same for Ludes and alcohol.

My questions are:

With my discontinuation of Zoloft and introduction to Wellburtin, does this open amphetamine use to me?

Will cocaine effect my brain differently due to the Wellburtin?

Thanks for your time!

It isn't terribly dangerous to combine amphetamines and sertraline, but the combination may increase amphetamine blood levels, so dose adjustment is required.

Theoretically, buproprion could block the effects of cocaine. But in the real world the doses of buproprion that people take are not high enough to produce blockade.

It isn't terribly dangerous to combine amphetamines and sertraline, but the combination may increase amphetamine blood levels, so dose adjustment is required.

Theoretically, buproprion could block the effects of cocaine. But in the real world the doses of buproprion that people take are not high enough to produce blockade.

terribly dangerous is a extreme exgageration, maybe it has some effects on blood levels, but perhaps hes amp line is longer then the last one too, or hes amp can be stronger the next time.

Abilify can blunt the effects of many stimulants, on olanzapine or risperidone i couldnt feel the rewarding effects of any stims, wellbutrin may augment it, just might increase blood pressure morke as wellbutrin is a ne releaser, not a nri as first tought, also allways take in mind it increases risks of seizures, im sure youll be safe but think twice when going to khole on mdma if you get my drift

I've been taking welbutrin for several months now as an antidepressant. I haven't found that it has had any effect on stimulants, neither augmenting nor blunting. Certainly there's no blockade effect. That door is open to you, based on my experience.
However, The only stimulants I've taken while on it are amphetamine (racemic and dextro), methylphenidate, and propylhexadrine (out of sheer desperate boredom (don't do propylhexadrine. Find some real speed instead of this grocery-store garbage. Be better than me!)).

I don't have any experience with the other stimulants you are asking about. Sorry panicdepression.

I do know that bupropion prevents the reuptake of norepinephrine and apparently releases it too... a lot of bupropion's effects are actually due to its much-stronger metabolites so it has taken a little while for the research to figure out its real in vivo effects... and even now there are still significant gaps in our knowledge of how it works (a not-unusual thing to find oneself saying in a discussion of any Big Pharma neurological drug). But my point was, any other stimulant that works via norepinephrine might make you feel a bit (or more than a bit) tense, as well as cause an unpleasant spike in BP. Norepinephrine tends to keep one wired but without any of the warmth or positive feeling associated with a good stimulant high. Although I feel like I might be talking basics to someone with no shortage of stimulant knowledge, so I'll leave off.

TL;DR - Stimulant door is open, but no augmentation is present in my experience.

Last edited:

I was very suspicious of this. Doses that wold be recreational, also would be a seizure hazard.

Abilify (aripiprazole) isnt an antagonist, it's an inverse agonist and has been found to possibly increase or potentiate the effects of some drugs and block others. It os quite unique as far as atypical antipsychotics go. I would worry about buproprion increasing the possibility of akesthesia which is quite pronounced with aripiprazole.

Abilify is the first antipsychotic that gives me zero akathisia it did give me high bp and insomnia in combination with Wellington xr. Now I switched to dexamp and I am fine.

Abilify (aripiprazole) isnt an antagonist, it's an inverse agonist and has been found to possibly increase or potentiate the effects of some drugs and block others. It os quite unique as far as atypical antipsychotics go

A low-efficacy partial agonist