• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Drug totally blocking non-social anxiety

Renald

Bluelighter
Theoretical topic. Are there any drugs totally (or at least partially) obliterating "basic" anxiety, lets say anxiety of heights, anxiety of speed, anxiety of being wounded/killed, but leaving the consciousness (almost) intact?

Benzos in high enough doses will do just that (and much the same to social anxiety), but as far as consciousness goes are likely to leave you with sedation, blackouts and amnesia. I've personally found phenibut the best compromise, it doesn't have the same immediate comeup most benzos will give you, but lasts all day and shouldn't make you feel tired or impaired. I've not actually tried it, but I've heard several people describe having similar effects from baclofen (which I think is basically para-chloro-phenibut), so that might be worth a try too.

benzo of your choice would be ideal for something like that
your scenarios are similar to fear of flying and a moderate dose of any benzo is usually prescribed for just that
.5mg of xanax, .5mg of ativan, .5mg of klonopin or 5mg of diazepam would be ideal

No, you dont understand, it is more a theoretical discussion. Can a drug induce a, lets say, situation, where a "typical" human is absolutely fearless of heights? He can sit on an edge of a balcony without any anxiety, ride a bike a mountain path with near the edge of abyss etc? I am speaking about obliterating normal (not pathological) anxiety of heights or other non-social situation (anxiety of being injured or killed). I am sure even on a heroic dose of benzo (if the person is still in consciousness and not asleep) every normal person will still have some anxiety of this kind. Maybe it is better to say what kind of drug totally removes your self-protection instinct?

Maybe it is better to say what kind of drug totally removes your self-protection instinct?

Without affecting consciousness? I doubt any substance could induce targeted disregard for one's safety at a dosage that would not also cause some form of toxic delerium, resulting in flawed appreciation of a any situation.

There is no drug that does what you want. Survival is probably the most primitive and most hardwired instincts that humans have, there is no way to completely erase it while simultaneously preserving lucidity of thought.

There is no drug that does what you want. Survival is probably the most primitive and most hardwired instincts that humans have, there is no way to completely erase it while simultaneously preserving lucidity of thought.

Precisely.
Considering you are conscious whatever you take may sedate and even anesthetize your feelings but that doesn't cancel our instincts.

Precisely.
Considering you are conscious whatever you take may sedate and even anesthetize your feelings but that doesn't cancel our instincts.

Almost concur. Fear of death is probably the deepest of inhibitions, a drug would have to strip all other layers of self-preservation mechanisms in order to get at it. In other words, induce a state of severe intoxication either using judgment-impairing substances such as downers (including alcohol) or through those stimulants that boost self-confidence beyond reason before inducing anxiety (coke, several "phenidate" RC's, some amphetamine hallucinogens, etc.). Because this chemical arsenal exists there are instances of a drug or drug cocktail voiding one's survival instinct but only under severe intoxication causing drastic personality shift towards overtly self-destructive behavior, not merely the suppression of basic fears period, which I don't believe any drug is able to achieve at a dosage level that wouldn't otherwise affect executive functions. The idea is interesting though.

The OP's quest for a drug targeting very specific brain functions reminds me of the struggle for developing strong painkillers that would not induce euphoria, a once Holy Grail for neurologists until it was discovered that euphoria itself is a major contributing factor in the pain relief process and that without this side effect potent analgesics would be ineffective. My point is that we're always dealing with chain reactions and/or parallel effects with drugs, especially psychoactives. These drugs behave not like missiles but like fireworks, due to the intricate, almost whimsical architecture of the brain.

Theoretically speaking as the OP puts it, there is certainly a fascinating attraction for discussing this mirage, otherwise I would be sleeping instead of reading this thread at 3 am on a working day :)

Freaking spot on!