• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug awareness education linked to teen pot use

Bluelight Crew
http://yle.fi/uutiset/drug_awareness_education_linked_to_teen_pot_use/6480881

"The more talk there is of it in their environment and with friends, the more interesting it becomes," THL researcher Elina Kotovirta said on Yle’s morning show on Tuesday.

More and more Finnish teens are experimenting with cannabis, suggests a fresh report by the National Institute for Health and Welfare (THL). Around twelve percent of 15–16-year-old boys and ten percent of girls in the same age group have tried the drug. Overall, Finnish youths are more curious about cannabis than earlier generations, according to Kotovirta.

"Traditional drug awareness programmes may not have reached the right audience—maybe drug prevention education has even increased interest," she explained.

But Kotovirta cautions parents from overreacting if they learn their child has experimented with drugs.

"It’s important to keep things in perspective. A one-time incident shouldn't be blown out of proportion," she said.

The report finds that growing cannabis at home is also becoming more common. Today officials are confiscating twice as many home plantations as five years ago. However few teens have developed a green thumb for growing their own pot.

"It’s important to keep things in perspective. A one-time incident shouldn't be blown out of proportion," she said.

True that. Even if your kid smokes weed a couple of times it's nothing to worry about.

So now even drug scare tactics will not be used because it may encourage kids to do drugs? Why not just ban phones, Internet, TV, music, friends and any other kind of reality from kids aswell.

So now even drug scare tactics will not be used because it may encourage kids to do drugs? Why not just ban phones, Internet, TV, music, friends and any other kind of reality from kids aswell.

lol they're pissed because there is nothing they can do to stop the progression of open-mindedness.

i think im one of the only kids who went to public school in america who never went through DARE

like we were told drugs were bad n shit in health class n 'pep rallies' but i never from DARE, I NEVER GOT MY FUCKIN T-SHIRT!!!

The report finds that growing cannabis at home is also becoming more common. Today officials are confiscating twice as many home plantations as five years ago. However few teens have developed a green thumb for growing their own pot.

haha my parents are as straight laced as they come but even when i had a few plants out back, the first time i had a single beautiful plant in the garden next to the broccoli n i thought my mom didnt know what it was but she later told me she did but let it goes cuz quote " its a very pretty plant"

n then my next attempt i had about 10 different plants growin in pots n she only got mad cuz they were takin up all the space on the back porch, she kept tellin me to get rid of them but that went on for 1.5-2 months before she told me she would throw em out

I wrote a research paper once about DARE not only being ineffective but counterproductive, causing more drug use. If I recall there was at least half a dozen research firms i referenced.

i got a t shirt, when i was like 8. damn thing doesnt fucken fit

I wrote a research paper once about DARE not only being ineffective but counterproductive, causing more drug use. If I recall there was at least half a dozen research firms i referenced.

Telling kids the truth about drugs would be infinately more effective. Some drugs can have serious side effects to a persons mental and physical health, just like alcohol. We shouldnt make stuff up to try to "scare" them.