View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug addiction is a disease — but a curable one

poledriver

Bluelighter

addiction.jpg

Darlene Rowley is someone who has spent time on the street and is now in the detox program at the Harbour Light facility in Vancouver.

Over the past decade, I’ve met hundereds of people in agony because of their own or their loved ones’ addictions. I can often tell before they say a word. Their faces show me the hell they’ve endured. Some can barely get out a syllable before they break down in tears. As best they can, they tell their stories. I’ve also heard from thousands by mail and e-mail, and more write every day. In a typical week, a mother described her son as “the latest sacrificial lamb”; drunk and stoned, he was killed in a head-on collision. Another mother wrote: “We knew K. smoked a little marijuana, but that was the extent of it as far as we knew. The coroner said there was marijuana, cocaine and heroin in her system. She went from the most loving child to someone I didn’t recognize, and then I lost her.”

“My 19 year old daughter died last month,” her father wrote. “I loved her with every ounce of me. The world lost an angel. My life is shattered.”

“My precious son died of a drug overdose eight months ago,” wrote Kathleen Kelly, a professor at Colorado State University. “He was 24 years old. He got addicted to Oxy and when he couldn’t afford it anymore, he went to a less expensive opiate — heroin … He hated being an addict.” Kathleen sent photographs of her son, Austin. In one, he was pictured with two friends. All three boys in the photograph are dead of overdoses. “First Ben, then Jackson, and now Austin.”

Not all of the letters are from parents whose children have not survived. One man described the vigil that many parents know too well. “It’s only a matter of time. I can barely breathe as I write this. Every time the phone rings, my heart stops. ‘This is it,’ I know. ‘This is the call. He’s dead.’”

A mother said, “My daughter started with abusing inhalants, then marijuana, and has confessed to taking pills — Adderall, Valium, and ones I haven’t heard of. She is 14 years old. My husband and I placed her into a treatment center … She came home and was okay for two months, then she didn’t come home one night when she was supposed to be here. We got a call from the hospital. She had overdosed and is in a coma. I’m writing from her room in the hospital. I look up at her blank face. Her chances are 50-50.”

A father wrote about his “beautiful, intelligent, talented, and charismatic” son, who was, he said, “on his third attempt at staying clean. He tricked us, snuck out, and scored, and we don’t know where he is. Is he alive or dead? All I can do is worry. My son’s addiction has destroyed my marriage and estranged me from the rest of my family. I live, pretty much, in isolation. All I want is my son back.”

Children write, too. One letter began, “I was my parents’ beautiful girl. I’ve taken pills since I was 15. I tried to kill myself by taking 20 Valium, but it didn’t work. You’d think that would get me to stop [using], but not me.”

Another woman wrote of her addicted husband: “He’s not the man I married. He won’t even stop for our three- and seven-year-old children. He’s a good man, a good husband and father. But he goes on benders and we don’t see him. I know he tried crack at least once. He’s been in rehab three times. They say to throw him out and close the door, but he is the father of my children.”

A letter from a 37-year-old woman addicted to heroin, written in tiny, shaky script on tissue paper, came in the mail: “If not for the curse of addiction,” she wrote, “I would not have a heart locked up tight in my chest, afraid of opening it for anyone. My children have been taken from me, to be raised by someone else, and I have to live with that agony every day of my life. I suffer through the knowledge that I caused them immense pain, and caused them to be fearful of trusting and loving, and that I took from them the one thing that all children deserve, a feeling of security and knowing that no matter what is happening in the world, there is one place of safety and that is their home.” She concluded, “I am so sorry for the things I have done, and I live with so much regret — sometimes so much that I feel like I can’t face another day.”

These letters communicate an infinitesimal fraction of the suffering that millions endure every day. If this were a problem that couldn’t be solved, I’d be devastated but resigned. Instead, I’m filled with rage, because the suffering and death can be prevented. How? It begins with an understanding of the precepts that underpin my book.

Most drug use isn’t about drugs. It’s about life

Our prevention and treatment efforts have failed mostly because they’ve focused on dealing with drugs themselves, but drug abuse is almost always the result of kids starting to use early, genetics, and other problems — stress, trauma, mental illness, or some combination of these factors. The new paradigm is rooted in recognizing that drugs are a symptom, not a cause, and whatever problems underlie them must be (and can be) addressed. Until they are, our prevention and treatment systems will continue to fail most people.

Addiction is a disease

No one chooses leukemia, heart disease or depression. Abusing drugs, however, appears to many to be a choice, and a reckless and selfish one. It’s not. The new approach is based on the fact that addiction is a disease. Blaming the afflicted for their condition has led to decades of flawed treatment and policy. But the evidence clearly proves that addicts aren’t morally bereft or weak-willed. They’re ill.

This disease is preventable

Given the scale of illicit drug use and abuse, the ineffectiveness of decades of anti-drug campaigns, and the failure of a war on drugs that has cost the United States more than $1-trillion, most people assume that it’s impossible to prevent drug abuse. Parents, schools, communities and the nation itself have initiated campaigns to stop drug use, but they’ve failed. However, we now know that prevention initiatives failed not because it’s impossible to stop people from using and abusing drugs, but because our efforts were misguided.

This disease is treatable

On their own or with help, sometimes by relying on the traditional Twelve Step program, some people have learned to manage their addiction and stop using. But many more haven’t. Many of those who had successfully stopped using relapsed, often repeatedly. Some early research indicated that addicts could never fully recover because drugs caused permanent brain damage. We’ve since learned that traditional treatments often failed not because of intractable brain damage, but because they were inadequate. (In fact, some were useless, and some were harmful.) However, a host of recent findings about how addiction works have led to the development of effective treatments, and more are coming. Adding to this promising news is evidence that most brains damaged by drugs can recover. Sufferers of addiction can be restored to health.

The prevention strategies most likely to work are based on science

To date, prevention strategies have failed because they’ve relied on scare tactics and best guesses of what might work. When these efforts fail and drug use begins and escalates, desperate people who need treatment often wind up in the hands of charlatans, rip-off artists, or well- intentioned but incompetent practitioners. Once we understand that addiction is a disease and that it’s preventable and treatable, our course becomes clearer. And just as patients with other serious illnesses pursue the most effective treatments developed by science and tested in clinical trials, so too can addicts and their families.

Drug abusers can achieve mental health

As it’s defined by the National Academy of Sciences, mental health “is more than the absence of disorder.” Usually those with addiction, particularly those who’ve used drugs since they were teenagers, live their lives in pain and confusion. Drugs impeded their emotional growth at the very time when they would have been learning to navigate the world, to develop close relationships, and to mature in other ways. With sobriety comes the opportunity of transformation and a fulfilling life.

Drug use, addiction, and mental illness are as complicated as people are. There are as many permutations as there are people, so there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. And yes, the lives of those with addiction can transform, but it can take time, and forward progress can be interrupted by setbacks. Still, healing is almost always possible.

Confusion and despair can make way for clarity and hope. Addicts can lead full lives free from the pain that plagued them and the disease that controlled them.

National Post

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/05/15/sheff-book-excerpt/

The prevention strategies most likely to work are based on science

To date, prevention strategies have failed because they’ve relied on scare tactics and best guesses of what might work. When these efforts fail and drug use begins and escalates, desperate people who need treatment often wind up in the hands of charlatans, rip-off artists, or well- intentioned but incompetent practitioners. Once we understand that addiction is a disease and that it’s preventable and treatable, our course becomes clearer. And just as patients with other serious illnesses pursue the most effective treatments developed by science and tested in clinical trials, so too can addicts and their families.

Is prevention the best course? What about moderation?

well a drug addict by definition is not a moderate drug user.

we know prevention doesn't work. The article is not bad, addiction is a complicated thing especially when coupled with underlying issues. They fail to mention any of the new methods for treating addiction though, so what are the most effective treatments developed by scientists? i sure don't know any other than multi pronged approaches or maintenance programs. It's nearly impossible to get through to an addict until they have the realization that they are harming themselves more than they are helping themselves. In some cases people don't even face negative consequences of their drug addiction, or not enough to outweigh the positives from the drug. Just like people who have ADD/ADHD supposedly have a lack of dopamine, then i'm sure there are as many people who lack in endogenous opioids or gaba or whatever. I don't see any treatments that look at addiction in that sense, other than maintenance programs.

^ If you believe most of the 12-step programs, such a thing is impossible.
But I think that it is possible, though probably very rare.

^i agree, it's fucking hard to moderate your use after being addicted. I can almost do it with etizolam after being a benzo addict but sometimes i get that incredible urge just take way too much, more often than not i don't give in but it's still in my head.

after being an opiate addict for a few years or so, a bit on and off, mostly on, i notice if i binge anymore than 1 day then i get an actual withdrawal again, though not as intense, just as annoying. Even if i took dilaudid just one 4mg rectally i'd crave the shit out of it for at least a week.

if i start to get into the whole withdrawal cycle then to stay functional i have to keep taking more to get me through class and then try to detox if i have a few days off, only to feel shitty for at least a week after. It's just not even worth it to me (anymore) but some people really get stuck in that cycle.

if we are talking about stimulants (let's exclude crack and smoked/IV ROA), then i think it's much easier to be moderate. Many people fuck their lives up on them but i think many more aren't daily addicts and only indulge from time to time.

same goes for psychs, cannabis and dissociatives, to a lesser extent than stims IMO.

You know, I think it's cool that more and more people are beginning to realize that the way the western world addresses recreational drug use is counter-productive, it causes more problems than it solves, etc.

At the end of the day though, I wish people would mind their own fucking business when it comes to what I choose to put in my body (in this case, drugs). I am a non-violent user. The only time I've ever been violent has been when I was drunk, and I don't drink anymore. Just let me have some peace and quiet after a hard day's work, and let me smoke my opium. If I end up ODing and don't make it, feel free to write whatever insults you want on my forehead at the funeral regarding my decision to use. I'm fine with that. But as long as I remain alive - if you're considering giving me a hard time, please leave me the fuck alone and mind your own business. This is mainly directed towards all the douchebags in the government and law enforcement who appear to enjoy dictating to everyone what they can or cannot ingest (as well as the nosy neighbor who needs to get off my property before I break her legs).

Anyways, sorry about the rant and I'll shutup now.

Addiction... Disease or Choice??

Recently in a group counseling class at my methadone clinic, we watched the amazing video Pleasure Unwoven. Since then we have read several articles on both the choice argument and the disease model. I believe it has been fully proven without a doubt to me that addiction Is a disease, But is taking that first drug a CHOICE? This sparked a heated debate in the class and I was surprised to hear even long term addicts supporting the choice theory. " If I would have never went out that nite, tried that first line, used that first needle " so on and so on.
I feel as tho it's the obsession and compulsion that is the disease of addiction and drugs are almost more of a symptom. I truly believe If I never picked up that first drug I'd probably be an overeater, hoarder, gambler, or who knows what. I think we are born predispositioned to addiction and our environment shapes the form of that addiction.
Please share your thoughts on the subject, Disease or Choice?? Or Both?!? Share your argument!

I think having an "addictive personality" is a real thing and therefore a disease. I think we subconsciously choose what our additions will be TO but we are a people who will eventually become addicted to something given our genetic makeup.

it's like having OCD, not a disease per se but a disorder certainly.

you can look at it however you want but addiction is either a curable disease or a disorder one can manage through maintenance therapy, therapy and life style changes.

just because you were an addict once does not define you as an addict for life. For people who have quit drugs successfully, to think they are still an addict after all that hard work and dedication doesn't seem fair or right to me.

it's a mix of environmental factors, genetic factors and the way our society is set up that causes addiction. It's complex and to say it is a disease or a choice is a false dichotomy. It's much more complicated.

i don't believe in the addictive personality thing either- what is that even supposed to mean? Those people who need to do things compulsively or do things impulsively have an underlying disorder.

I can see how some people refuse to believe that addiction is a disease because no one is forcing you to use drugs.

For example, going through the motions to look for a way to make some coin, then look for a dealer who sells smack, then using it - this can be considered a choice.

However, I prefer to call it a reaction rather than a choice. You made the reaction to use for a reason, not just by waking up one morning and saying to yourself for no reason, "I wanna shoot some heroin!"

Something provoked you into using. What was it? Was it you wanting to avoid dope sickness? Was it you wanting to numb some physical and/or emotional pain? Or did you do it just because you were bored, or trying to fit in with your buddies? You can argue choice all you want, but this choice was made as a reaction due to an action, or several actions. Not out of the blue.

Anyways, I notice a lot of pro-drug war people (who use the choice argument) comment about how junkies deserve to be treated like scum because they chose to be junkies. And it's never that simple. And if you think it is, then I think you're an ignorant idiot with a low IQ.

People need to start thinking not about "why the addiction" but rather "why the choice" and then I guarantee that at the root of almost every addict's life, something went terribly wrong. And as a reaction, that person starting using, and is still using because that problem, or other problems (such as physical dependency in the case of opioids), or both.

So what do you do to someone who's addicted to a drug due to the fact that something went wrong? You certainly shouldn't be putting them in jail. They need help, not forced abstinence by way of taking their freedom from them. Unfortunately, many people think they deserve to rot in a cell for trying to make themselves feel better. And that's just wrong. Such a fucked up world we're living in.

I posted an article about this the other day -

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/676956-Drug-addiction-is-a-disease-—-but-a-curable-one

This thread, although interesting does not abide by the DiTM guidelines which can be found here -

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/196886-DiTM-GUIDELINES

WHAT TO POST:

Begin new threads with published news items (don't just start a thread with a comment or a question). If you read something in a magazine or newspaper (or watch something) you'd like to discuss here, find a corresponding article on the internet you can post.
All news stories must be drug-related and discussion oriented (a "drug" in this context is a substance with recreational value). Random articles that aren't about drugs will be closed or moved to the appropriate forum.

drug addiction is not a disease. it, like all human behavior, is a result of one's personal choices. addiction is not transmittable and is not a result of bacteria and viruses.

disease |diˈzēz|
noun

a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, esp. one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury: bacterial meningitis is a rare disease | a possible cause of heart disease.
• a particular quality, habit, or disposition regarded as adversely affecting a person or group of people: departmental administration has often led to the dread disease of departmentalitis.

disease |diˈzēz|
noun

a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, esp. one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physical injury: bacterial meningitis is a rare disease | a possible cause of heart disease.
• a particular quality, habit, or disposition regarded as adversely affecting a person or group of people: departmental administration has often led to the dread disease of departmentalitis.

Don't waste your time. Some people simply are a lost cause. You'll never change their opinion - not even if you make sense.

I'd rather think of it as a non-disease. A lot of people seek to take away my freedom because they feel I have lost my ability to choose.