• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Driving after taking Xanax

Status
Not open for further replies.

IllestAddiction

Greenlighter
So ive had alot of experience using Xanax, but i have taken a long break (over six months) so i have absolutely no Tolerance.
Basically what i am wondering is if i take half a Bar (1 mg) to mabye a full one (2mg)in the morning at around 9AM ish Will i be safe to drive by 4 PM? Keep in mind that i am currently doing a Fasting diet, where i dont eat for a solid 20 hours or more. So i will not have eaten since atleast 8PM the night before, and will have nothing but water in my system.

I think 2mg would be too much in the circumstances you describe. I don't know if they are still active for that long, though. That's a big space of time.

Adding the fasting, are you experienced there? This sounds like a risky venture possibly a DUI?

I have never taken any drug while fasting, and i did assume 2 mg would be too much. I thought itd be best to take .5 first, wait about 45 mins or so and take the other .5 if i felt i could handle it. But i just want to know if i will be sober by the time i need to drive.

If you're fasting, can you really call it a diet? Doesn't diet imply you're eating something?

Well 1, that has nothing to do with the question. But yes, its called Intermittent Fasting, im also doing the Atkins Diet during the times i am allowed to eat.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you know yourself better than anyone posting here. It all depends on your performance IQ, driving ability, metabolism of the drug, and how much xanax you have taken in the past at that dose (long term tolerance).

It's really difficult for any of us to give you an accurate answer. Obviously you are at some risk, but you should be able to gauge that risk better than any of us can.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you know yourself better than anyone posting here. It all depends on your performance IQ, driving ability, metabolism of the drug, and how much xanax you have taken in the past at that dose (long term tolerance).

It's really difficult for any of us to give you an accurate answer. Obviously you are at some risk, but you should be able to gauge that risk better than any of us can.
Good post and point. OP imo if you take 1mg tonight and 1mg tomorrow morning you should okay to drive by 4pm because that's not a big dose and because xanax has a really short half life.
Off topic mr. Drinkingnattyice i fucking hate that beer now lol. I got Drunk off last night and had one of the worst hangovers of my life today. Splitting headache that lasted 8 hours even with advil and vicodin. In my system to try to fight it. Not to mention throwing . don't know why it was so bad but it was worse then a hangover from cheap whiskey.

I'd still watch for that invisible effect that obviously make us unconsciously slower. Classic but true, although in some cases barely noticeable.

Personally I would not do it, as the risk for a black out is high and you run the risk of hurting yourself and others if this happens when you are driving.

Can you get someone else to drive you, or take a taxi?

But I have never used benzos recreationally. The one time I did have a benzo before dental surgery, I completely blacked out and do not remember any of it, and I would have hated to have been driving while on the benzo or after coming down off of it.

If you're not asleep hehe but alprazolam is a quick acting short lasting benzo, I think you'll be relatively fine.
HOWEVER only you know what you can and cannot handle.
If you feel unable to drive them dont

I think you would be ok, but my judgment on this type of thing is not to be trusted. I have an ED and would often go 3 days-1 week without eating anything AND taking any drug I could get my hands on to help me feel ok in the meantime. Opiates, benzos and speed drugs included.

So ive had alot of experience using Xanax, but i have taken a long break (over six months) so i have absolutely no Tolerance.
Basically what i am wondering is if i take half a Bar (1 mg) to mabye a full one (2mg)in the morning at around 9AM ish Will i be safe to drive by 4 PM? Keep in mind that i am currently doing a Fasting diet, where i dont eat for a solid 20 hours or more. So i will not have eaten since atleast 8PM the night before, and will have nothing but water in my system.
I Forgot to mention that i am about 210 Pounds. I think if i start with .5 and dont go over 1mg i should be sober by 4 PM

Hmnn.. are you OP just trying to get relaxed this morning? Where are you driving to @ 4 p.m. if you don't mind me asking...

Do what you need to do @ 4 and then come home and enjoy your Xanax safely.

This is a 7 hour window and in my experience with not just Xanax but multiple different benzos, the effects should definitely be worn off 7 hours after taking them, more likely about 4 hours after taking them. You should be able to judge pretty easily if you are capable of driving when the time comes.

If you have to ask, I'm sorry but no.

Although 7 hours from 1mg would probably be safe enough...but only you know yourself OP, we can't say how YOU will react to the meds.
I see horrid drivers all the time & get to wondering what they're on, or what they NEED to be on, lol!

P.S. I'm not at all tolerant to benzos, but not niave either, and last night I had 30mg Temazepam on top of 10 Tramadol, and some Hydros, and drove just fine 1 hour later (so peaking lol!)...but then again many have told me I'm one of, sometimes even THE best driver they've ever known.
So basically it's highly subjective as to whether you will be able to drive or not...if you drive fucked up 24/7 you'll be fine....if you never drive fucked up....I wouldn't start!
I take my driving seriously, but I've seen others have HILLARIOUS accidents under the influence, especially of Xanax...SO BE CAREFUL whatever you do.

For me personally, if I don't have any tolerance to Benzos (especially Xanax), if I dose around 8pm at night, I might be loaded into the next day. Of course, this depends on how much I take. However, with no tolerance, 1mg-2mg of Xanax is definitely enough to trigger this situation. I have seen this happen with others as well, not just myself. I know this one person who always seems MORE loaded the next day. No one else has experienced this when taking Benzos? With all of that said, this may not be the case for you. As others have stated, you and only you will be able to gauge what any drug/medicine will do to you. Lastly, I think it's worth mentioning that when you have no tolerance, half lives might not necessarily mean much.

Status
Not open for further replies.