• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Drivers who disrespect cyclists

wherethisthreadgoingnd8.jpg

I used to ride my bike to work a long time ago.. cars in general were pretty accommodating, and there was a fair amount of bike lanes too. I always signaled and tried to make eye contact etc and generally maintaim high visibility especially at intersections. Once I got "doored" I wouldn't ride too close to the edge of the lane if there were parked cars on the side of the road so if you see someone seemingly taking up half the lane for no apparent reason that could be why. It was fun in traffic sometimes, and on the sidewalk in crowds haha riding like a nut.. actually looking back I was crazy for not wearing a helmet for half the shit i did

you cyclists seem to think that hitting a cyclist is only catastrophic for one party. Vehicular manslaughter is less fun that getting your spandex covered body squished like a grape, because you're awake for the next 40 years or so.

edit: I also like where this is going frizz. And I'm personally glad you upgraded your bike to a honda accord (yes, i remember that conversation we had many years ago, do you?)

Finder said:
Chicago is becoming more and more bike friendly with each passing year whether the general population likes it or not. In lieu of our ailing public transit system, it also becomes a more viable form of transportation when no one seems to be able to manage our trains and buses effectively while our legislators downstate don't care enough to properly fund either our city transit or the regional transit...but I digress. I don't think I even need to mention gas prices.

Not only are you contributing positively to the environment by cycling you are also contributing positively to yourself by getting out and exercising. I don't think it's too much to ask for drivers to pay attention when pulling in and out of bike lanes or opening their doors after parking. If I wasn't hyper-aware of my surroundings while biking I'm sure I would have been creamed on the pavement by now due to drivers just not paying attention to what the fuck they are doing. I don't know many cyclists who ride around the city with their heads up their asses, but I know plenty of drivers.

Yes, some cyclists ride like jackasses (re: bike messengers), but most obey the traffic laws. Of course, I'm in the camp that doesn't see the big deal about treating a traffic light as a stop sign if there isn't any traffic or rolling through a stop sign if there aren't any cars waiting at the intersection. I can see how this is a problem for some people, but as long as a cyclist isn't blatantly blowing through busy intersections or exhibiting other dangerous behavior I don't see a problem.

As cities become more dense, you're going to see more cyclists, so drivers may as well get used to it. Share the roads. <3

the problem with riding in chicago is the sometimes AWFUL neighborhoods you must go through in order to get where you're going.

i personally know a few cyclists who have been jumped for no reason at all (nothing was even taken they were just beaten up) while riding through bad hoods.

i myself love riding in the city though and usually prefer it to driving. but once the winter comes, theres nothing else you can do but drive. the CTA is a joke and is rarely on time and biking(hell sometimes even WALKING) is impossible in a chicago winter.

Chubba75 said:

Hah.

To date, I've had a broken collarbone, 2 broken legs, 2 broken arms and a broken wrist.

All accidents were caused by cars not giving way.

One might argue that all of those accidents were caused by some other factor.

I'll let you guess what that is.

You spent 6,000 dollars on a bike??

You could have bought like 3,000 hamburgers!

I hate cyclists on the road. Seriously, you are not only risking your own injury, but you are risking legal problems for all drivers around you. I have nearly hit bikers multiple times while trying to give way to them. It is seriously fucked up.

You assholes also slow traffic down considerably. In the city I live in, we have enough serious traffic problems, and we really don't need you guys keeping us at 15 mph.

Another thing. Fuck the law. You have sidewalks, and even though it is technically against the law (at least in my county) to use them, fuck it. There ain't nobody walkin' on them shits.

Chubba75 said:
That doesn't even make any sense... for you to give way, you would be stationary. That would mean the cyclist would have to ride into you, which doesn't make any sense considering how intersections/lights/roundabouts work.

Excuse me, I meant pass, not give way. I'm a little drunk.

Chubba75 said:
We don't slow down traffic, we ride approximately 10km/hr under the speed limit (our speed is up around 30mph in your units)... you can drive past us at the speed limit safely, no need to slow down.

30 mph my ass. Most of the cyclists I see go about 15-20mph, and I live in a huge city with lots of traffic, so passing is sometimes difficult, especially on main roads.

Chubba75 said:
When we do large rides and take up an entire lane we start at 5:00am and you can pass us in the other lane because there's no traffic... again at full speed? So who's causing traffic problems.Yes it is illegal, even with bikepaths you can't train on them either. It is extremely fucking dangerous too, imagine 100 people riding 30mph along a bikepath where people have kids playing, people are walking dogs, other douches on bikes going 10mph.

The road is far safer for all involved.

This is why our arguing over this is pointless. Our cities are different. The cyclists I see are those assholes all dressed in cycling clothes, riding around at rush hour with 30 car lines behind them (you may or may not be one of those people, and since I didn't read the whole thread I don't know).

If I saw someone who looked like they had someplace to go, and were in street clothes, I probably wouldn't be as upset. But these are people who choose to exercise on a main road, at peak traffic hours, and at the driver's expense. Some of us have important deadlines, and if you need the exercise just drive on some residential road or something, don't be inconsiderate.

MOST people who ride bicycles on public roads are inconsiderate when they are engaging in that activity.

You sir, are an idiot.

You assholes also slow traffic down considerably. In the city I live in, we have enough serious traffic problems, and we really don't need you guys keeping us at 15 mph.

Just as cars are given rights to roam on streets that are designed for them, laws are giving that same right to bicycles. Live with it. Your traffic is your fault.

I would never expect this kind of attitude in most European countries, where cycling and public transportation is an encouraged and important part of the transportation culture.

moaning about getting hurt on the road while you're "training" is like me being upset when i get sacked in the middle of a public park football game because its where I like to practice my bo staff skills.

Chubba75 said:
You have to get it through your head, it's the only place you train!

You can do your bo staff skills anywhere, your house, your backyard, any park that doesn't have a football game going.

We can ride on the road and only the road, we can't ride on sidewalks and bike paths.

but but but, I have every right to be there!

Besides, train for what? More cycling on roads. Its an asinine passtime.

ive lived with one. Also, I don't feel like getting hit by a car, or sounding like you.