Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
i like ryan gosling in most of his roles so i guess im just waiting for dvd to come out so i can watch this badboy

I thought the opening scene was absolutley brilliant, the rest just didnt quite do it for me. The retroness seemed a bit random, some elements looked very current and others were really retro, and the long drawn out cut scenes.. It had a lot of good stuff going on and kept promising to turn into a decent film but alot of it just came out really stilted/awkward in the end (imo).

I thought the opening scene was absolutley brilliant, the rest just didnt quite do it for me. The retroness seemed a bit random, some elements looked very current and others were really retro, and the long drawn out cut scenes.. It had a lot of good stuff going on and kept promising to turn into a decent film but alot of it just came out really stilted/awkward in the end (imo).

I see what you mean about it seeming random. At first I thought it might of been set in the 80's ;) I found it worked well though nonetheless.

I found the dream-like feel really appealing. Refn really went for an art-house type vibe for this. It almost reminded me of Gasper Noe's 'Enter The Void' in some way. The relationship between Driver and Irene was beautifully captured, though there was minimal dialogue between them both at times, you could still feel what they were thinking. I understand it's not your average action/drama.. it's much slower, but that adds tension (which there is a lot of pretty much from start to finish). And Ryan Gosling's performance was flawless imo. Every line delivered perfectly.

Saying this though, I can see how this film might not appeal to everyone. Judging by reviews on imdb you either love it or hate it.

Last edited:
There should be no doubt at this point that Ryan Gosling is this generation’s finest actor. This film could and probably would have been a total disaster without his casting. It is best described as a neo-noir minimalist thriller. Sound confusing? Well, that’s because this film is not easily definable. It does not fall for the usual Hollywood tricks, probably owing to Gosling’s strong hand in shaping it (according to Wikipedia, after he signed on Gosling was able to hand-pick the director; he went for a relatively unknown Danish guy lol). It is the story of The Driver, who is the epitome of the strong silent type. The Driver is never named.

He has a love affair, of sorts, with his neighbor. The love affair is never consummated, although they share a passionate kiss in an elevator – right before Gosling graphically stomps a guy’s head in. The title cards and credits are in hot pink and I was about 85 percent certain the film was scored by Vangelis. It wasn’t – but the synth heavy soundtrack and the title cards are straight out of the 80s (in a good way). I was expecting Anthony Michael Hall to make a cameo. There are some flashes of European art house influences, with impressionistic dissolves and frenetic cross cuts. The movie is slow; limited, terse dialogue; tension is built carefully and expertly, erupting in brief ultra violent flares of gore.

Considering the main character is a getaway driver, and the movie is called Drive, there are not that many chase scenes. In fact, there are only 2 – the one in the beginning, a carefully controlled sequence of dramatic tensioning which establishes the Driver as an almost superhuman force and the second and more involved one, which reminds you that the roots of the film go all the way back to Steve McQueen and Bullit. I hate car chase scenes. They are usually loaded with tricks, special fx, smash cuts, edited into little pieces of over stylized crap designed to toss the audience a cheap thrill and I find them lazy and boring. But these chase scenes were different. I found myself wondering why I was so into the chase scenes in this film, when usually I just tune out until the cars go rolling over one another and I know that lazy bit of filmmaking is over. It’s because of who The Driver is. It’s like his whole life is building up to these car chase scenes. It’s his sole purpose for existing. And because Gosling is such a monumental talent, his character breathes this life of cars and adrenaline and skill and makes it bleed through the screen. You want to see what the driver can do, because you are invested in this character and this chase like in virtually no other car chase you will see in a film.

The movie is stylish. It is brilliantly acted. And it subverts convention while still pretending to be a genre film. It is influenced by a lot of great films, but it doesn’t come off as a rip-off. It’s simply the next stage in the evolution of those films. Easily one of the best movies I have seen all year. I was surprised it was released in over 2,500 theatres though. This movie is way too smart and way too unconventional to be a mainstream success.

Absolutely loved this film. I went in not knowing anything about it and was expecting a cliche action car racing film or something. I was not just pleasantly surprised, it blew my mind.

Ricardo08: I agree with you, it definitely had an Enter the Void feel to it in the direction.

One of the finest films I've seen in a LONG time: gorgeous cinematography (including beautiful aerial footage of L.A. by night), solid acting and a fantastic electro-synth pop cool-as-fuck soundtrack.

Not for the fainthearted due to its pretty gritty violence but definitely to be recommended to anyone who isn't squeamish and loves their cinema.

10/10.

funny, some woman sued the producers of this film for a misleading trailer. she was expecting more action.

seriously, she SUED!

thanks for the recommendation, i'll check it out.

funny, some woman sued the producers of this film for a misleading trailer. she was expecting more action.

seriously, she SUED!

thanks for the recommendation, i'll check it out.

Oy vey. I don't normally wish folk harm but part of me hopes that when she loses the judge will fucking bankrupt this greedy idiot: because folk need to know that independent cinema is an art form and not some simple type of commodity.

Let us know how you like it L2R.

i second the cinematography and sound. the story could have used a bit more polishing. the driver needed more background, although a local professional history, he conveniently moves next to the chick at the start of the film. more could have been explored between he and the love interest. nothing backs up his later comments on how much of an impact she's made on him. the track racing element needed something more than what was there (nothing). i don't mind the film's pace, it just could have used a little more speed to break up the eery sounds. i didn't associate the film to enter the void at all, it seemed more like lost highway due to the electro sounds and car themes, although without the insanity. the ending seemed very rushed also. tbh, i would have enjoyed it more with another 30 minutes added to the 90 min runtime, with the above additions. it is not quite surreal enough to be able to run on slow pace and eery sounds alone, it has too much plot for that. but then the plot was lacking in the above.

good movie, i like them underplayed like this. not a masterpiece though. not by a long shot.

the intro was amazing. if only as much effort was put into the rest of the film. the only other part as clever as the intro was when he drives into the car park and watches the two thugs leave as he parks. great shot, the camera centers carefully on the two blokes irrespective of angle in the car. additionally the driver essentially parks perfectly besides a concrete column without looking. bit fantastic, but great to visualise so cleverly.

the intro was amazing. if only as much effort was put into the rest of the film.

I second this..... I think because of how great the intro is I forgave some sloppy film-making later on; either way its superb visually - I could totally see someone playing this film SOUNDLESS in a club for visuals or on a wall somewhere.

There's a great club in Manchester UK called Sankeys and they have films playing/projected silently onto a wall near the outside area....this would totally work there on a Friday night!

Just got back from seeing it then. I liked it.

although a local professional history, he conveniently moves next to the chick at the start of the film.

The girl asks him if he's new to the area/city, and he says that he is not; just new "here" (i.e. the apartment block).

more could have been explored between he and the love interest. nothing backs up his later comments on how much of an impact she's made on him.

There's a line where he says something like 'for the last few weeks, being around you, and beneath you, have been the greatest thing that ever happened to me'. I took the 'beneath you' to be an implication that they did the deed/the damn thing. There was also an intimate scene when she held his hand while they were driving early on in the film.

I think The Driver is portrayed as a loner and an introvert for the entire film. I think the awkward tension and smiles that they shoot at one another are substantial compared to earlier in the film, when he avoids her in the supermarket, as he seemingly felt nervous around her. Oh on that note, something I noticed was that his voice is noticeably more nervous (and even close to breaking) when speaking to her throughout the film. Where as he is forceful and confident when speaking to every other character. I think there was plenty to suggest that he was infatuated with her. Whether or not he even acted on this, is not the point. He could have spoken to her a few times and been obsessed with her, or he could have ridden her in slow motion for a third of the film; it doesn't matter.

the track racing element needed something more than what was there (nothing).

I don't see why. I took the track car to be an indication of the connection between and future plans of The Driver and Cranston's character. [spoiler -->] Apparent just before Cranston is stabbed, when the attacker mentions his disappointment as he'd have 'liked to have seen his name on the track car.' I didn't think it important for the plot to explore it any more than that.

it would take a bloody incredible lay for her to be "the greatest thing that ever happened to me". he might have otherwise been a loner, but he had no trouble meeting her.

as for racing, i just think it would have broken up the pace better rather than the single tone of the film, and it would also provide more credence to his driving skills.

another point i found stupid was he wouldn't change out of that yellow scorpion jacket even when it's all bloodied up. oh and i thought the headstomp to be excessive and silly.

i voted 4/5 just for the photography and sound. the story needed more imo.

it would take a bloody incredible lay for her to be "the greatest thing that ever happened to me".

That's a bit single minded. I tried to make the point that it didn't even matter if they fucked or not; the intensity of his attraction was portrayed regardless and that's the important thing. Also, I took the excessiveness of the headstomp to be indicative that he's not totally in control, even if he seemed confident and controlled at one point.

he might have otherwise been a loner, but he had no trouble meeting her.

Fair point.

as for racing, i just think it would have broken up the pace better rather than the single tone of the film, and it would also provide more credence to his driving skills.

I thought the single tone of the film was what they were going for. There was an ever present sense of tension. The quick bursts of extreme violence were like sudden exhilarating releases for the audience.

another point i found stupid was he wouldn't change out of that yellow scorpion jacket even when it's all bloodied up.

This got a laugh from the audience when I watched it. I personally thought it was indicative, once again, that he's not a calculated killer. He doesn't know exactly what he's doing. I thought it was a great touch.

The movie concept sounds great, haven't seen the movie yet, was told that it wasn't that great.

The movie concept sounds great, haven't seen the movie yet, was told that it wasn't that great.

If you still have the chance, I would recommend seeing it at the cinema.

I felt the atmosphere/mood was enhanced by seeing it in a half-full cinema. The tension-relieving laughter that spreads out through the audience during the handful of moments that it's somewhat called for add to the film.

i second the cinematography and sound. the story could have used a bit more polishing. the driver needed more background, although a local professional history, he conveniently moves next to the chick at the start of the film. more could have been explored between he and the love interest. nothing backs up his later comments on how much of an impact she's made on him. the track racing element needed something more than what was there (nothing).

Agreed but I am thinking that is apart of the style of the story which drags you into the movie with curiosity.

The movie has a lot of magical moments where it turns or twists, I caught myself multiple times surprised by how smooth and yet awesome how the story turned its pages.

I think it all started when the
NSFW:
Girls head was split open by a shotgun

Truly one of the better movies I have seen in some time.

NSFW:
HE NEVER TAKES HIS COAT OFF!
<-- Like chuck norris!

NSFW:
He Blinks!

Last edited:
It is a good movie. in the start I thought that I was just wasting my time but when movie went on it started becoming interesting more and more.

Sydney Personal Trainer

Last edited: