• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Drinking diethylether

izo

Bluelighter
Hello,

Just wanted to know if anybody here is familiar with this route of administration for diethyl ether? I’ve read somewhere years ago that this route of administration was also practiced when ether was more widespread used. The ld50 is reported to be 20-50g from what I’ve read. Any input would be appreciated.

Greetz

Ether, mixed with approximately 2 volumes of alcohol to form ether spirit was formerly used as an orally administered preparation for treatment of gastric flatulence and milder forms of gastralgia.

(also, curiously)

Intravenous administration of up to 1000 mL of a 2.5 to 7.5% solution of ether (sekio note: ether is slightly soluble in water) in isotonic sodium chloride solution and 5% dextrose solution has been formerly employed to quiet manic patients.

Osol, A., and R. Pratt. (eds.). The United States Dispensatory. 27th ed. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1973., p. 507[ref]

They sure used to have a lot more fun in the old days. Stomachache? Have an ether-and-alcohol cocktail. Manic episode? Ether directly into your veins. (Probably nicer than Haldol/Risperdal)

I do not know what the effective oral dosage of ether is: the few times I have used it recreationally were always via inhalation because it allows for safe titration of dosage. Too much ether in you is unsafe before you reach the LD50 simply from the risk of falls, vomiting, positional asphyxia etc.

Pure ether boils at 35°C so ingesting it neat is not a smart idea. Due to this, it mainly leaves the body via evaporation from the skin and breath. So no matter how you get it in you, you will smell like the Exxon Valdez for a good day or so, and be tasting it intermittently for up to 3 days. Plan accordingly. (Would be a good time to start trying new colognes, smoking/vaping a lot, and chewing gum obsessively.)

When I used to huff ether I would be able to smell it on myself constantly for a while afterwords and I fear I may have been slightly flammable. Definitely interested in trying it orally although I haven't had any in a while.

I think it may still be popular in some parts of Europe and the method I heard about was first drinking ice cold water to lower temps, taking the shot of ether, and chasing it with more cold water. I imagine cold vodka may also work

They call it sweet vitriol.
I only huff ether. Like on a paper towel.
The reason ether never gained popularity is because it's flammable and extremely volatile.
It will creep over a lab bench if poured or left open. ANd then boom.
So nitrous was conned as a suitable alternative to anasthesia.

I worked in a (well ventilated) lab where we used ether, sometimes outside of a fume hood, and with a running computer and GC-FID in the room, and we never had a fire in the ~10 years I was there.

People used to smoke when working with ether. Yes, it's hella flammable, but keep it away from sparks and flame, and have an open window and a fan moving fresh air in, and preferably an open door to let the vapour out.