• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dream and psychedelic visual correlation?

asasdsas

Greenlighter
So I was talking with four friends the other day, who all were experienced with various psychedelics, and I mentioned that whenever I trip (with the exception of DXM for some reason) I have minimal visuals. I can be blasted off my mind with intense thought loops and expanded consciousness and auditory hallucinations, yet have barely any visual effects beyond basic distortions. I mentioned that I also have noticed that I don't dream very often, and when I do, I remember what happened but not what it looked like or what I saw.

Two of the friends reported that not only did they also trip non-visually, but they rarely dreamed. Their experiences almost exactly mirrored mine.

This got me wondering, could there be any correlation between the way people dream and the way they trip (visually vs non-visually)? Do any of you have any knowledge in the area or similar experiences?

do you or any of your non visual friends draw, paint of practice photography?

I draw and paint and have visual effects to a greater extent than audio and lesser than sensory.

maybe it is what a person is involved with.

That could make sense, since I have very little talent when it comes to painting or drawing, but I'm a musician and an actor, so I love words and music (which are frequent themes in my trips)

I definitely believe there's a connection between dreams and hallucinogens. When I become lucid in dreams in particular a lot of the content changes to be very similar to the kinds of things I see in most of my hallucinogen experiences as well.

And personally, I get both very vivid dreams and pretty strong visual hallucinations. Well, it actually takes me a lot to trip hard on some things, I seem to be somewhat insensitive to certain drugs themselves by weight, but once I do start getting effects the visuals tend to ramp up pretty quickly and surpass what a lot of my friends describe. Interestingly though, I almost never get any auditory hallucinations on anything.

Interesting observation, thanks for sharing. :)

I'd never heard of aphantasia, but researching it more it seems that perhaps I suffer from a minor form of that. I can visualize certain specific things, but only under certain circumstances. However, I'm not completely devoid of visual dreams/hallucinations, they are just secondary and not incredibly vivid. This is really interesting though, and I want to research it more