• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

drank half a bottle of whiskey a few hours ago and just took 1.25mg valium, safe to fall asleep?

yeah that’s my bad i was a bit out of it, yeah everything was all good just felt like shit the next day, thanks

You will black out if you mix benzos with alcohol long before you would get into a dangerous spot with respiratory depression so if you are still conscious and posting on bluelight knowingly I would say that it's plenty safe to go to sleep.

I used to take 20mg Valium at bedtime every day even when I drank and it was fine.

It becomes much, much harder to predict this sort of thing when we start discussing quantities of Alcohol like "a bottle of whiskey". I'm assuming you mean a fifth of liquor which is ~20 standard units of Alcohol. It's definitely unlikely that you will die. It would be out of the ordinary, but again, this sort of thing is far from "safe". If we are talking about "primary" causes of death i.e. death by respiratory depression, it's very unlikely. However, if we're talking about "secondary" causes of death, like asphyxiation on vomit for instance, I'm sure it's within the realm of possibility.

What comes to mind for me are the stereotypical college/fraternity/sorority benders that we are all familiar with. It seems like every year at least one kid ends up dead for one reason or another. You have 40 kids, all drinking to excessive extremes, yet only one ends up dead. Could it be that this one kid in this hypothetical scenario ended up popping a Vicodin or a Benzodiazepine, sure.

We are a Harm Reduction service. I would feel really uncomfortable telling someone to take any other central nervous system depressant on top of 20 standard drinks. I don't consider it safe or advisable.

It becomes much, much harder to predict this sort of thing when we start discussing quantities of Alcohol like "a bottle of whiskey". I'm assuming you mean a fifth of liquor which is ~20 standard units of Alcohol. It's definitely unlikely that you will die. It would be out of the ordinary, but again, this sort of thing is far from "safe". If we are talking about "primary" causes of death i.e. death by respiratory depression, it's very unlikely. However, if we're talking about "secondary" causes of death, like asphyxiation on vomit for instance, I'm sure it's within the realm of possibility.

What comes to mind for me are the stereotypical college/fraternity/sorority benders that we are all familiar with. It seems like every year at least one kid ends up dead for one reason or another. You have 40 kids, all drinking to excessive extremes, yet only one ends up dead. Could it be that this one kid in this hypothetical scenario ended up popping a Vicodin or a Benzodiazepine, sure.

We are a Harm Reduction service. I would feel really uncomfortable telling someone to take any other central nervous system depressant on top of 20 standard drinks. I don't consider it safe or advisable.
if i drank 9 ounces of whiskey and 8 ounces vodka from 4pm til around midnight is it safe to take an ativan or valium today? it is now 10:30AM where i live

if i drank 9 ounces of whiskey and 8 ounces vodka from 4pm til around midnight is it safe to take an ativan or valium today? it is now 10:30AM where i live
In the future, you're better off figuring out how many standard drinks you've had and going that route. We are an international community and the US is pretty much the only civilized country to use the customary units still. Anyways.

If it were me, not giving a fuck about my life or health, hell yea I wouldn't have batted an eye in my drinking days.

I am inherently opposed to this sort of thing. These things, especially drug combinations become exponentially less-predictable as you scale up the dosages. 17 ounces of standard 40% - 80 proof liquor is going to equate to about 11.5 drinks.

Yes, I would be incredibly surprised if you were to die through this action, but I don't feel good about telling anyone to combine heavy Alcohol use with Benzodiazepines. You're closer to danger.