• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

Dr. Daniel Lednicer

Feretile

Bluelighter
My friend, Dr. Daniel Lednicer died over a year ago. Tuesday, January 5, 2021. at the age of 91. He lived through some of the very worse and very best experiences. Born in 1929 in Antwerp, he escaped the Nazi concentration camps losing both his parents, grandparents, uncles and aunts. He went on to study medicinal chemistry, to write 12 successful books on the subject and to become one of the most respected scientists of his (or any) era.

But what I remember the most was his humour. He somehow managed to slip jokes into patents, which is an extraordinary thing to do. He was an engaging and open person who had a passion for his work. I think the most entertaining thing I ever told him was that his work on BDPC (Bromidol), which is a bioisostere of fentanyl, had been further developed, by Grünenthal of all people.

I HOPE that this vindicated his effort. He once told me that he had only got onto the internet so he could see what his children were saying.... and then I considered that his kids are all of retirement age. We also discussed his paintings a great deal. He was a very talented impressionist although he had never actually heard of the term before I mentioned it. Something like 'oh, so those are impressionists? Well, I guess I am an impressionist.' which on rereading, can be taken on multiple levels.

I don't think it appropriate to publish our co-respondence such as it is. Dan was a truly great guy. So very clever, so very kind and so very supportive. I'm sure most of us will remember that 1 teacher in school who changed our life? Well, for me, Dan is that teacher. I really miss him. Sometimes I find a beautiful technical detail and then realise I have nobody to share that with. I feel lonely without him. I love the guy.

Last edited:
I am very sorry for your loss ❤️

R.I.P Dr. Daniel 🙏

Wow, I just mentioned him in a post today, didn’t knew that he died. Rip.

I only posted because one of my last questions concerned BDPC. He made a series of simpler compounds and the p-Br (that became BDPC) and the p-Me were by far the most active and EQUALLY active, but he never made MDPC (or whatever the RC vendors would term it). His answer is priceless 'In all of the excitement, we forgot'.

He was 91 and still 100% mentally. I think he had some physical health issues, but he lived a wonderful life. Wonderful because he made it so. My happiness that he lived overcomes my sadness of his death.

Rest In Peace Daniel.

Thank you for sharing his story so that his memory can live on. It sounds like he was a wonderful, brilliant, kind human.