View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DPT and benzos

morphine-dreams

Bluelighter
So, I'm very interested in trying DPT but I'm also kind of scared shirtless. I don't know why, since I have extensive experience with high dose LSD, mushrooms, k and dxm holes, and as soon as I can get my hands on some DMT, I'm down for that. I guess the erowid trip reports scared me, but it still sounds like it'd be a mystical trip. So, how could I get a taste of DPT while minimizing anxiety? I have a variety of benzos to work with (etizolam, diclaz, flubromazolam, clonazolam, alprazolam, prob more) so name anything, also got phenibut. I'd like to diminish the trip as little as possible (especially the visuals) but still dull it just enough. I DO plan on maybe experiencing it on its own one day, but I feel like I need to test the waters first, ya know? And low doses don't help with psychedelic anxiety, it's more of a come-up thing. I'm experienced when it comes to ego death/reality loss and all that stuff and I love it tbh.

DPT will rip through most benzos, but you can try. Imo it's not as 'scary' as a lot of the reports out there as long as you titrate. If you like DMT then you should have no problem treading these waters.

Thank you, how about a high dose of opiates (I have a tolerance), or would there be a potential interaction? I'm not afraid of the intensity but rather, the possibility of dysphoria. I haven't ever actually tried DMT so I can't say if I like it or not, it just sounds very appealing. I've experienced extremely intense mushroom trips that sounded on par with DMT trip reports and those were by far my most profound and memorable trips.

I would not take opiates if I were you. DPT was often rough on me whereas DMT is a bit more gentle, but DPT also reminded me of 5-MeO-DMT in that it made everything feel extremely holy - probably much more so than DMT ever did (though DMT and mushrooms are of course spiritual or have that potential).
You'll certainly survive the roughness, especially if you do some reasonable titration with the DPT. It would really be a shame for any speck of opiate numbness to be present during feelings of holiness. It's astonishing, don't defeat the purpose IMO. Not sure that it could really hurt to try, but I'd just say carefully go ahead with just the DPT or look for another psychedelic altogether.

Dysphoria? Hmm yeah not sure is that at all common? 5-MeO-DMT can send you to heaven or hell I'm sure they say but I've only ever gotten either neutral mindblowingness from it or actual ecstasy. Dysphoria on just about any of these serotonergic psychedelics doesn't seem common to me, but anxiety into panic is maybe not uncommon from confusion or intensity.

*edit: oh yeah the sinister scary shit is common you're quite right.

Last edited:
It's really just the bad trip reports that have me a bit anxious about this one, but it does sound really great otherwise. I usually have a great time on psychedelics but I've had my ass kicked a few times by sheer intensity (when I was new to psychs and I accidentally took heroic doses-good times/not really lol) so some of the stronger ones like DPT intimidate me anyway. But I just dropped acid last night and was reminded why I would never want to take a benzo and dampen the experience in any way so you guys are probably right. I'm going to start with low doses and titrate instead, never went wrong that way before.

Or maybe it'll just be like, "fuck it, bottoms up" because those kinds of trips actually always turn out really good for me for some reason.

Do you think it's better to take baby steps with DPT or dive right in, so to speak? I usually like to get a little acquainted with a substance on the first or second try, and then I go straight for a strong/heavy dose. But based on everything I've read, I shouldn't treat this like LSD or psilocybin at all, that it's way more on the level of DMT but according to some, scarier. The challenge of it is why I'm so interested in the first place. Plus, I actually really like those dark, weird, eerie trips. I took a little break from psychs when I posted this but then I did a lot of LSD and psychedelic anxiety seems like a distant fear now, I'm actually feeling really great about tripping again. Which is ironic because now I should also take at least a week off. Oh well lol.

@Cream Gravy: you changed your nickname? DPT wasn't really terribly scary for me - not like evil or anything, but it was damn well serious and rough. I'm glad I tried it but it's not for me. Was just talking about DPT's general reputation for both the spiritual and the 'sinister' - dark is a much better word for it than evil. So dysphoria or unpleasantness, while you can read about such things in erowid's 'difficult experiences' section are IMO not necessarily a result of that... plenty of people appreciate darkness in music or movies etc so in experience, without necessarily everything becoming 'bad' for it.
But it definitely has the intense factor DMT and 5-MeO-DMT also have.

@Morphine-dreams: I guess an opiate on the tail end could remain an option if you are then still so inclined to follow up the trip with numbing, a bit soothing after an 'ordeal'. I mean in generally psychedelics give me a feeling of thankfulness and honesty that make certain vices feel blasphemous, so if it is like that for you maybe the opiate would be an automatic aversion. But if not, I don't know why you must deprive yourself afterwards.

Yeah I know what you mean about vices feeling blasphemous, happens to me almost every time I trip so I rarely use anything except for benzos at the end (of more stimulating trips) just so I can sleep, and even that feels tough to do, but I know it's to my benefit. I think if I can make it through the come up, I'll be ok, but maybe I'll have some poppy tea afterwards eventually, since it never takes me that long to get over not wanting to use other drugs, lol. Whether DPT is for me or not, I do want to explore that higher realm of psychedelics. Like, I love acid, but it's starting to feel more recreational to me rather than a deep journey. I want something to really blow me away again.

^^Solipsis, yeah I changed my nickname from 240. Felt that a change was needed.

I get what you mean about 'dark' not necessarily being bad. I feel that MXE is 'dark' yet it's one of my favorite drugs. The trip reports on Erowid about DPT certainly make it out to be too intense; so much so that it sounds worthwhile to try just to know it. Yet, I'm horribly scared that it would be far too much for me, I seem to have trouble with tryptamines. I think I'll try and find some DMT before I get around to trying this one.

DPT can definitely be pretty dark, even slightly terrifying at times, but in my opinion it's worth the experience. The trip has a sinister feel to it but at the same time there is something very seductive about it. Out of all the synthetic tryptamines, DPT (and maybe also 4-HO-DPT) is the one that really stands out to me. There's just something special about it. I think I prefer DPT over DMT.

The funny thing is, I wasn't even sure I wanted to try it until I unexpectedly acquired some. I was curious about it for years, but all the reports of bad trips and unpleasant body load scared me away from it. Then one day a vendor sent me some by mistake. I tried some and it blew my mind. It is a little bit scary, but in a thrilling way. I actually didn't mind the body vibrations, even though body loads usually makes me really uncomfortable. If you take enough, you won't even be aware that you have a body anyway.

If you think you want to try DPT, go for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk anyone into trying it, because it is a very powerful, serious psychedelic. But in my opinion it is worthwhile.

I find benzos help with most psychedelics.
I've never really gotten that high off of DPT before but Xanax has sure helped me ease into DMT breakthroughs before.
The DMT was overpowering enough that the Xanax didn't affect the quality of the high, just allowed me slip into hyperspace much more easily, I imagine it would be the same with DPT

I wouldn't try to make it easy with opioids or benzos OP. At best they'll just calm down the first few minutes of the come-up. DPT is like getting hit in the head with a hammer, it'll over shadow everything else in your system. Also, it's a very introspective experience. When I had my breakthrough with it I was in the depths of an on again off again affair with the benzo/opioid combo. I hated myself for it and all those negative thoughts came flooding in at hyper speed during the trip. Your trip will already center around those substances if you use them regularly but if you're actually on them while taking it it'll overshadow almost everything else.

No amount of research can prepare you for a DPT trip. If you do partake just know that nothing bad will happen (like with everything else). It humbled me and it'll probably humble you too. I do enjoy begin "in the club" though, when I mention that I've taken it to people IRL they are always full of questions about it. It's hard to explain it to other folks though so usually I just don't mention it. I don't really brag about what substances I've taken anyway but I do try to answer questions about it if someone seems generally interested or is planning on trying it themselves. So far I've only met one other person IRL that has actually taken it.

DPT can definitely be pretty dark, even slightly terrifying at times, but in my opinion it's worth the experience. The trip has a sinister feel to it but at the same time there is something very seductive about it. Out of all the synthetic tryptamines, DPT (and maybe also 4-HO-DPT) is the one that really stands out to me. There's just something special about it. I think I prefer DPT over DMT.

The funny thing is, I wasn't even sure I wanted to try it until I unexpectedly acquired some. I was curious about it for years, but all the reports of bad trips and unpleasant body load scared me away from it. Then one day a vendor sent me some by mistake. I tried some and it blew my mind.

The exact same thing happened to me, had interest in it but never ordered any because of the trip reports. Next thing I knew I had enough to experiment with just show up in the mail one day. I wrote a trip report about my experience here: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/776463-(DPT-100mg)-First-time-I-am-a-mouse-among-giants

DPT to me wasn't scary. The only time I had a really rough time on it was doing it when I was already on 5-meo-dipt. I would do 25mg snorted or better plugged and see how you go.

Last edited:
I have some on the way. Not to jack the thread, but can anyone with experience comment as to ROAs IM/IV excluded? growit&smokeit you say plugging is better than insufflation? I read yesterday somewhere a poster saying plugging isn't as efficient as insufflation. But I've read insufflation is a horrible experience burn and smell wise.

I've done this exclusively via insufflation. This roa has its down side but I never regretted it (I have with certain 2C compounds). The sting can be a bit intense, but it subsides cleanly.

Really good idea to rinse your sinuses very thoroughly with saline solution beforehand (neti pot or irrigation system works better than mist). Blow your nose, rinse, blow your nose again, etc. after that wait maybe 5 minutes before insufflating. You don't want your nose dripping on you.

Finally, this is totally optional but I do it almost every time I trip. I prepare a warm tub of water beforehand for come up. Measure the temperature (98-100 f is a good setting for me) and prepare everything beforehand so there is no thinking involved. After insufflating, get in bathtub and wait for comeup, which start at about the five minute mark. Relax and get in the right state of mind. Warm water smooths out the comeup but also the vapor from the water has a nice soothing effect on sinuses.

Enjoy

I have some on the way. Not to jack the thread, but can anyone with experience comment as to ROAs IM/IV excluded? growit&smokeit you say plugging is better than insufflation? I read yesterday somewhere a poster saying plugging isn't as efficient as insufflation. But I've read insufflation is a horrible experience burn and smell wise.

There isn't really a burn from what i remember, it just felt like snorting wet chalk and it tastes horrible. The first few times I did it I didn't mind but I grew to hate it and it negatively affected the short trip. I haven't tried plugging it a huge amount of times probably once but even if you have to use more it gets past that horrible drip. You could potentially try mixing some DPT with baking soda and water so as to convert it to the freebase, evaporating it on to some herbs and smoking it Smoking the salt actually does have some effect but is quite wasteful.

The batch I had burned badly and had a strong odor to it. I've only had experience with that one batch but others reported that it was very strong so I assumed most all DPT would be similar. For me it the burn was akin to ambien or methadone except it smelt like rank pussy. The burn went away after awhile and wasn't was bad as some of the 2Cs I've snorted, the smell lingered for at least half the duration. It really did a number on my nose, stuffing it up for a day or two and causing some minor nose bleeding. It was concerning enough that I didn't want to repeat with that ROA.

I had some left over and co-administered it with MXE plugged. I remember it adding a little bit to the experience but didn't feel like it was anywhere near the effects I would have gotten from snorting the same amount. Smoking/vaping it (without freebasing it first), while wasteful did provide effect. It wasn't nearly as strong as my snorted dose but I think that was mostly because it allowed me to slowly work up to a level where I was happy. I did manage to get to a point where I felt like it was becoming too much and was confused by a tree blowing in the wind. Before I realized what I was looking at I assumed it was waving at me, but this was after my breakthrough and trees were a big part of that experience so that might have just been something that carried over to the next trip.

This is the one substance that I plan on using the IM route for if I ever go back to it looking for another breakthrough. It is said to be more gentle with that route and avoids most of the bad side effects. I never suggest using the needle for anything so that should give you some idea of how much I would prefer to reduce the bad sides of it. It's the sole exception (aside from IV morphine on my deathbed).

Plugging is more efficient than insulfation

I usually start with a 10-15mg dose to get a feel for the DPT, then add another 20/35mg with a dissociative. Always an experience

What dosage plugged would you recommend? I have extensive experience with DMT and transcendental states and am very much looking for a spiritual learning experience.