View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

dpt and bad trips

whynaught

Bluelighter
I've been considering ordering this dpt stuff because it seems very interesing. Is there potential for bad trips? I hear it has a body load and feels generally wrong which is why I ordered mxe last time instead of dpt is this true? Its been years since I've ingested a tryptamine should I consider something other than dpt?

DPT is some pretty serious shit and there's CERTAINLY a risk of a bad trip. On tour, only the craziest and most dedicated psychonauts are seeking this stuff or taking it. I've never taken it myself but I've heard many stories. Still sounds pretty interesting, but also supposed to be very odd. The only video on youtube is pretty scary sounding, but keep in mind the ROA and dose they took.

DPT is can only induce bad trips in people, that believe in the distinction between good and bad. It is more about ego and let go instead of subjective opinions (no train of thought, just on the comeup).

But yes, it provides a hardcore bodyload (you feel blown up like a balloon and the heartrate increases quite significantly at the beginning).

Edit : DPT for me does not touch emotions like other tryptamines. It works on a lower level.

I had some difficult experiences with 4-aco-DMT (which most people call gentle) but never with DPT. Totally depends on the person.

Last edited:
Never had anything close to a bad trip on DPT, and I've snorted 120mg lines of the pure shit. It's extremely euphoric and it gets me so incredibly fucked up I really can't really give a damn about anything.
The only thing I absolutely hate about snorting DPT is that godawful drip. It stays with you for hours and blocks your nose, which really detracts from the experience. DPT literally smells/tastes like shit (being an indole tryptamine it's not actually totally unrelated to shit).
I would never bother with oral administration as this is extremely inefficient. Insufflation is pretty efficient, but it's a real fucking ordeal... I've done it probably 8 times in my life and I don't ever wish to to it again. I don't inject drugs and I hate needles but if I ever buy DPT again, I'd have to IM it.

I had some pretty enjoyable experiences with vaporizing it. It was a long time ago but I liked it more than a lot of RCs I have tried.

I found it much more friendly than its reputation suggests. I would be very careful combining it with anything though.

A few words to the right ROA :

Most times I insufflated 50-90 mg and the heart rate increase was more pronounced than on any other psychedelic. I tried smoking small amounts of the hcl a few times and it worked as a preparation to estimate the outcome of a real dose. Oral ROA is a total waste unless you use a MAO-inhibitor, which I do not suggest unless you know what you are doing.

Getting/fabricating the freebase and vaporize it (not as unhealthy as smoking it) instead of insufflation is recommended. You can scale the duration and need much lower doses.

To me, DPT has always been very kind, at 100 mg nasal or at eyeballed doses in the smoke bubble. Time to try this little gem again, and also its brother 4-HO-DPT HCl... So many drugs, so little time...! ;)

The dpt drip from snorting it was always the worst part of dpt for me. My max dosage was 120 mg insufflated, and at that dosage I experienced extreme ego dissolution, extremely prominent body load; which consisted of an very deeply felt muscle quivering convulsion type feeling. I felt it throughout my whole body but felt it especially in my forearms and hands. Distortion of all senses, full on completely immersive tryptamine visuals.

Dpt is full on. I would have had a difficult time were I not a seasoned psychonaut. The potential for a bad trip is a real possibility with dpt. not for the faint of heart.

Lower doses were much more enjoyable. It goes great with ketamine. I wish I had more of that stuff! Dpt will absolutely kick your ass though.

It seems like these freakouts are occurring with high doses. Could a rpm dose be enjoyable and maybe even euphoric?

Absolutely. Some people love dpt. As with everything else start low and titrate up. I recommend vaping. I can't imagine that stuff dripping down my throat. eek.

It surprises me that people are willing to vaporize this stuff or deal with a apparently unbearable drip when they could just bypass all that and plug it.

It surprises me that people are willing to vaporize this stuff or deal with a apparently unbearable drip when they could just bypass all that and plug it.

I've plugged it and didn't find it to be as strong as snorting it, although I only did this with about 80mg or so. It did provide a mild trip and I am unable to explain why it wasn't strong than snorting a similar dose (for me). I may have just been backed up and didn't absorb the full dose, that was also after I'd developed some tolerance. I would suggest anyone to tread with great caution when attempting it through the rectal ROA for the first time.

My strongest trip came at 150-175mg or so snorted. The drip was indeed very awful and caused nose bleeds for me the next day (not very bad but concerning). I also found the body load to be a bit much but I was able to handle it. The body load at the level is a constant spasm/energy running up and down your spine and into your legs. I was unable to prevent myself from shaking and I think this is what people are referring to when they say it feels like a "spirit" is coming into your body. It was concerning during the trip but looking back it wasn't that bad and I don't feel I was ever in any real danger.

The trip itself was very mind warping and the visuals were intense. Having not done DMT yet I can't compare it to that but I can say this was very unlike anything else I've experimented with. Plants would morph into living things with faces and wave at me (they were just blowing in the wind), faces were in everything (carpets, bed sheets, the television, bricks...everything). This was very unlike the "melting" visuals I'd encountered before that seem superimposed over the environment. With DPT the visuals seem to grow/pop-out from objects or entire objects will take on new and familiar forms. I understand what people are talking about when they say they see "elves" now. This things seem to have a mind of their own and enjoy fucking with you by only staying around for a short time. I felt like I was begin toyed with and this gave the substance a somewhat "demonic" edge.

The mind state was very emotional, all the good and the bad from my past came flooding in. I'd rapidly cycle between sadness and joy, crying and laughing, anger and forgiveness. I wouldn't want to take a drug like this in a social setting even among only a few friends. I don't think it's useful in settings like that but I am a bit of a loner so this might not hold true for social butter flys.

I also smoked it on several occasions because snorting it just messed with my nose too much and the drip is awful. I also liked this method better because I could slowly work up to and maintain a level I was conformable with. For me it was never as intense as snorting it through this ROA but that was probably because I never consumed as much doing it this way. The effects were just milder versions of what I described above with a faster onset and duration. I could ramp it up to the levels described above if desired by consuming more every 10-25 minutes or so.

I like DPT but it is one I don't see myself doing again any time soon. I caution people that seek it out because I feel one could get in a bad place very fast on it. It isn't a recreational substance in any way imho. I am firmly against smoking RCs but I made an exception for this one and I think that might be a good way to go for something new to it. It's just easier to work with when you have an instant onset because it's hard to get to an intense headspace without meaning to do so.

Hey man, could you go into this a bit further? Like the sudden intensity doesn't give you time to freak out?

Low doses over the course of an hour or so. I would go one hit at a time and gauge where I was at for awhile before continuing on.

The instant onset can be scary if you went for broke really fast. At the low end you get a taste of the full experience without going all the way there. While never having done DMT I imagine this is comparable to the difference between a mild dose and a breakthrough. I don't think I ever truly broke through with DPT but I think I was very close in the trip I described above. There is an all consuming feeling of doom and it feeling like way too much all throughout the trip (at least for me).

Also there is the drip/nasal burn concern with this one. I was instantly turned off snorting this substance the first time I did it and I only attempted to snort it one more time after that. Smoking the freebase avoids that issue without going rectal/IM. Since it's so harsh on the nose you have to do the entire dose in one go. Once you use up both nostrils they're plugged for the duration of the experience and will bother you the entire trip.

I want to try DPT in my life, on its own and with a dissociative (MXE or K). I haven't tried it (except once at like a 25mg dose nasally which was very pleasant and "rich" feeling) because I have always been respectful/afraid, from the descriptions I have read. But it sound like it has a tremendous level of value. Hell, there's a small religion in the USA that uses it as a sacrament and are legally allowed to do so. It sounds like one of those things that you don't expect to necessarily be fun, but that may end up being one of your most profound experiences.

I want to try DPT in my life, on its own and with a dissociative (MXE or K). I haven't tried it (except once at like a 25mg dose nasally which was very pleasant and "rich" feeling) because I have always been respectful/afraid, from the descriptions I have read. But it sound like it has a tremendous level of value. Hell, there's a small religion in the USA that uses it as a sacrament and are legally allowed to do so. It sounds like one of those things that you don't expect to necessarily be fun, but that may end up being one of your most profound experiences.

MXE does calm it down a lot, but I suggest doing it solo to start with because I also feel MXE takes a lot away from it. To truly appreciate this one you've got to accept and deal with the body load, that's part of the over all experience and it's part of the reason why it humbles you. With the respect that I hold for DPT I just think it would be disrespectful to use anything to take the edge off of it in initial trails. DPT is a baptism by fire you must go through to obtain the real value from it.

I don't want to make it out to be all bad by the way. It showed me a lot of things about myself that I needed to work on and it forced me to think about them without the usual barriers I put up to deal with them. It wasn't like LSD or Shrooms where I could control those thoughts and break out of loops with tricks. With DPT I was fully a long for the ride. I am pretty sure I only got a taste of its full power as well, it might have been easier to go through that trip if I'd taken slightly more and fully broken through. Sometimes I wonder if I missed out on something very special that night (even though it was already mind blowing).

I am really interested in using DMT since that experience with DPT. I think it would be better to start there because the trip is much shorter before going back to attempting DPT again. DPT is also one of the few substances where I feel I might need a sitter if I attempt to push the dose higher. I usually do fine with no sitter or someone tripping with me so that should tell you right there how much I respect this one.

DPT wasn't something I really sought out by the way. I ended up with some in a mix up from a vendor I'd been using for other things. I put it away for a long time and only tried it after much research. I thought I was ready for it but looking back I don't think I was. I wish I would have left it in storage and saved it until I was more experienced.

Sorry for the double post but my last one turned into a novel.

I just remembered a couple of other things from one of my trips with this substance, hopefully this is helpful because I want to describe the good aspects of it. :)

I took about 80mg or so (IIRC) on one trip where I ventured out into nature on a summer day. I was walking through the woods smoking a cigarette which looked normal expect for the smoke begin the brightest shade of purple I've ever seen. Well it was more like the darkest and lightest shade put together...it was very odd. This was a common theme throughout all my trips on it when it came to colors. Often times objects would cycle through shades of colors that I can't even describe very rapidly. They were beautiful and vibrant and I wish I could produce them with paint, the amazing part of this is you'd have one object cycling through colors while another right beside it would look totally normal.

This held true for television shows as well! I watched cartoons on it once and this effect would happen to characters in the show. Say Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck were on screen together. Daffy would look normal, while Bug's ink outlines would be vibrating with energy while his colors rabidly cycled through every color you could imagine plus millions you didn't know existed. All the while elves would be popping in and out of the backgrounds in the show. As soon as you tried to focus on them they'd jump away only to return in another part of the screen.

Back to nature...

On the day I was walking through the woods I suddenly realized I was standing under a bunch of very tall pine trees. I looked up and marveled at their size and became very frightened. I felt like a mouse among giants and I realized these trees were not only living begins but they'd been watching me use a chain saw to chop down, cut up, and burn their friends for the last 20+ years. I almost booked it out of there but then I realized hey...they're living and I'm living and they breath what I produce as a by-product and vice versa. So we needed each other...and they probably weren't too pissed since most of those trees I'd cut down were either dead or dying. It's the cycle of life and all that...everything was cool. ;)

I walked around more on that day and the trip was mostly good with the odd freak out about similar things described above. At one point I sat on a dock at a pond and marveled at the water. The visuals there were again amazing and nothing like acid or shrooms. About a week later I went to that same pond sober and had what I guess you could call a "flash back". The water swirled and looked exactly as it did on DPT for a short time. I didn't mind this too much and wasn't concerned by it.

I really like DPT. It is defiantly not something I would take anywhere but alone in my room though. Always plugged it, not a fan of dealing with a weird drip while tripping. Usually combine with mxe. Perhaps it takes the edge off, maybe lessens the "fear", but can also make it more intense to me.

Dpt to me needs a bit more of a respectful attitude than others. If there is something particular you want to see or know, prepare your mind, ask, and you will most likely be going there. It seems to have a "mother" vibe to it. I remember once it seemed the DIvine Mother aspect of God came to me and began floating away, smiling, laughing, beginning with a come hither type gesture.. At the time I thought "oh shit take more there is something to see", but there wasn't. Looking back it seems to have been more a "Keep seeking, keep searching keep loving and you will find me".

I usually start with like 15mg plugged and meditate to get a feel for it. Ramp up from there, usually doses of 30-60ish mgs. My highest dose was 150+ with some mdma. That much was no joke, but the mdma helped me to deal with frankly terrifying visions etc with a level mindstate.

I have about 250mg of the gram I got late last year left. Will probably order 3g more soon. It is one I want around.