Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ⭐️ ⭐️

• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

• Total voters

ErikTheRed

Bluelighter
I didn't expect to like this show, but after the first episode I got totally hooked. If you're an anglophile, you've gotta watch this show.

It's on PBS Masterpiece Theater and is essentially about the downfall of the British aristocracy beginning in 1911 going to 1919. And the dynamic between servants and lords and ladies. The story arc about WWI was very interesting. It's very similiar to "Upstairs Downstairs" but with much higher production value.

Maggie Smith is also fantastic in this series.

url2.jpg

totally love this show, basically for Dowager Countess.

Shit Dowager Countess Says

i don't really like much of the people upstairs, except for Sybil and Edith. they are the only ones that seem to 'grow' and or change over the series. Lady Mary is still basically a cunt.

this is a great mashup tumblr of Parks and Rec vs Downton:

downtonpawnee.tumblr.com

tumblr_lxbxphJicE1r9zxiuo1_500.png

Lady Mary is mostly a bitch, but I think she matured a lot by the end of season 2. I also like Matthew a lot. I'd actually have to disagree with you, I think most of the downstairs people are more snobbish, which is a reoccurring theme in this genre.

Lady Grantham just gets more and more annoying though. I wish she died of the Spanish flu.

Lady Mary is mostly a bitch, but I think she matured a lot by the end of season 2. I also like Matthew a lot. I'd actually have to disagree with you, I think most of the downstairs people are more snobbish, which is a reoccurring theme in this genre.

Lady Grantham just gets more and more annoying though. I wish she died of the Spanish flu.

how? she undergoes no major change (Sybil becomes a Nurse, Edie works on a farm, learns to drive, and takes an active role in rehabing people.) unless you count realizing she can't marry the person she wants to. Maybe i just don't like her. the people downstairs are the ones who have the best story lines. Anna, Mr. Bates and Mrs. Bates? Gay Thomas? Irish Revolution-aire Branson? Lady Mary whines. Her sisters take control of their own lives. I agree about Lady Grantham. Lord Grantham is as equally boring.

Yeah but the series begins with Mary being socially above Sybil and Edie. Her parents talk down to Edie behind her back and Sybil is the youngest. So she has an inflated ego from the get-go and has the most pressure to marry someone "proper". But when the Turkish ambassador dies in her bed and then feels forced to marry Sir Richard to save her family's standing and starts caring for Matthew I think she steps down from her pedestal. I see that contrast from the first to second season as a major change in her character.

I'm really digging Downton Abbey. I agree with Kenick. It's ALL about Dowager Countess. She's the best. My favorite scenes of hers include:

- Reaction to the news of the Turkish ambassador
- Her trying to use the telephone when attempting to get William back
- "What's a week end?"

=D

I really enjoy all the characters in their own ways. The only thing that's really gotten me is semi-dopey expression Cora seems to always wear...

This isn't even a good example but it sorta captures it:

179earticle-2084297-0F63F2F900000578-706_306x423.jpg

For anyone who thinks there's no way they'll like this I still think you should give it a shot. I really didn't think it was my cup of tea but alas, it's great.

Right now Season 1 is streaming on Netflix and Season 2 is up on PBS til the middle of next week. :)

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/downtonabbey/

I only skimmed through the responses because I don't any spoilers as I've only just started watching this - I love it! It's so trashy and surprisingly good.

i think cora is a totally useless character -- the show would move along fine without her. scrappy lord grantham going at it alone trying to raise three girls in the world war era with only the help of his hoard of servants!

^ It's on again!?

The list of shows I am currently watching (sometimes weekly sometimes at my own pace) because of my insomnia is kind of embarrassing:

- Sons of Anarchy
- Dexter (after a 2 season hiatus because it sucked more and more after season 1)
- Luther (Season 1 is new to me)
- Homeland
- Boardwalk Empire
- Hell on Wheels
- Daily Show & Colbert Report
- Parks & Rec

I should add Downton and delete Hell on Wheels and probably The Daily Show.

I should do more yoga to fall asleep better/ refuse to turn on the TV.

Last edited:
jesus ames, how you have time for all that?

we're up to season 3 x ep. 4

a sads happened to edith :(

I literally don't sleep. It's pretty awesome. :\ I don't watch The Daily Show or Colbert just about every day unless I want to watch the start because something funny happened that day in the news. Oh, and I'm only part time employed right now (not by choice). Anyway, I'd gladly throw out 90% of the other shit I watch to catch up with Downton.

WHAT. THE. FUCK. I cried during this episode. Everybody had incredible acting talents. I kinda want to see it again before next week...

well that will probably be the break up. fuck you julian fellowes, for killing off the woman with the best storyline. idiot.

^ Hear hear. So ridiculous. Some people are speculating that Tom will abandon his baby and Lady Mary & Matthew will raise the girl (because either he or Mary are clearly not able to have children). I hope they don't go such an obvious route but I bet they will...

well that's the fucking dumbest thing i've ever heard. if that happens it's officially over for me.

Finally got hooked on this and even before I searched, deep down I knew that my TV/entertainment soulmate Kenickie would already be on to this.

Finally got hooked on this and even before I searched, deep down I knew that my TV/entertainment soulmate Kenickie would already be on to this.

of course! and now i'm finally done with all of them, i have no idea if the future exists for downton, i don't think there is much left for them. i mean, are you guys watching them as they come on PBS or are you illegally downloading them from england? because that's what we did.

i'd maybe even rewatch season one, because it's just so pretty. i feel like season one was the best, tpbh.

tumblr_lxxajpoMbY1r95dkoo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lxw7hk3VWd1qz9qooo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_lzk32wW7GZ1qhmq9wo1_500.png

tumblr_m80salWx8l1r4zdclo1_500.gif

I download. I don't have cable, but I don't think it would be available even if I did.

Here is something you might find interesting though, Kenickie.

.. and am I the only one who thinks Sybil is gorgeous and could have done better?