• NMI Moderators: Snafu in the Void

Down that road

HateMe

Greenlighter
Hey all

Been following this site for a LONG time for many reasons. Words fail me as my life has.

Short story, Im broken. Very broken. Had cancer, intestinal and brain. Beat both, yay, right? Broken my neck (fusion), and lower back mutiple herniated disks. Agony has been the norm, waking up screaming, so pain management doctors have been a norm. Recently had a heart attack and will need a bypass. Because, being 40, this is all normal!

I have been against drugs, for me. I like to be clear headed. I was also LE (worked for THAT agency....I can already hear the comments lol). At this point, I dont care, its not my agency, not my era. Back then, things were different. It was a job, with rules, both sides had them. Its how I made good friends that were batting for the other team lol.

Ive been getting treatment from the VA. Some of you know the horrors that comes with. Ive tried EVERY pill out there. I only found Oxycodon IR to work, while letting me have a clear mind. I did my PhD on that. Everything else, either didnt work, gave me a high where I was one with matrices, or the pain relief was nil.

Been on the same dosage for years, and I was ready to say enough, get off it. Im on Gabapentin too (max dosage, ie 3600. It works, though that took a while until the crazy dreams stopped). These two, allowed me for ten years to function. My back and neck are still bad, to where I cant stand long or do much consistently but, at least, I could live.

I tried something unique (or maybe not). I figured, let me try lifting weights. Its short duration effort, so there would be limited impact on my spine. Did a lot of research from physiotherapists, doctors, read McGill's book the Back Doctor (highly recommend), and came up with a PPL routine. The pump (the pain in the no pain, no gain) allowed me to cut back on meds. It was working, plus I was getting ripped.

All good, until I had the heart attack (heart defect, since birth, that nobody noticed). I lost my lifeline. I was now in pain, back to normal, screaming waking up, grinding my teeth (lost 4 or 5 mollars from grinding in my sleep, bit through two of those molded mouth guards etc).

I go through the routine, and get a good doctor, I thought. I had recent months where I was short. In 10 years, I was never short, but the heart attack messed it up. You would think that gives me SOME leeway. It did not.

I was passed off from VA to VA, like an unwanted pet, but I go to the city (wont say names or places beyond that), and I get an increase. Sure, its not what my plan was, but, you know, pain, will increase stress, which is the opposite of what I need prior to a bypass, with stents not healed up yet and all.

Im lost now, because, the new facility that gave me the increase, to not stress each refill, is more than enough for me, but, their oxycodone is HCL, not IR. Some claim its identical. It is not. I get so fogged up, as if its a bad pot high. Drool, cant think, but no giggles or fun times. Just that heavy fog over your mind. Gone was the light euphoria for 5min, and the pain relief that let me work out, walk, go outside, date, have a life.

So, either I stay on the old dosage, and live with panic attacks every month (that induced two cardiac events so far) or go with the new higher doage that robs me of agency, of a life. I can hardly talk on HCL (or whatever they claim it is, because, its the govt, knowing them, it could be terpentine as far as I know)

I dont have long to live, or alternatively, I could live long, but as a vegetable, in pain, waiting on the next organ to fail. I dont drink (again, being in control, I love racing, building cars, all things that have been taken from me over this HCL bs). So, I come here to learn and stay safe because Im going to ride the horse. I feel that is freedom. Im free from a month gestapo organization, free from being judged and harrassed for my physical appearance, being looked at as a junky. I did everything right, and for what?

Anyway, I wrote a novel. Dont care if Im recognized. Since the heart attack, I lost the will, and its not comming back, at least not like this. Im tired of some yoga pants wearing pharmacist degrading me in the hallway, tired of nurses countering doctors, tired of opening up to bureacrats that just dont care at all. At least with a plg, I can go whenever the hell I want and not be stressed.

Also, I will say, that reading posts here, you guys know your shit. I mean, the scientific level of breakdowns, makes VA doctors look like idiots. They dont even understand the blood brain barrier, or anything. So, you guys rock.

Welcome to the group and sorry you have to deal with all that. Here in Canada you can go to any doctor instead of Veteran affairs but they are no better.
I have MS and I got a new neurologist and he expected me to pick up medicine daily because I'm classed as an addict. Very frustrating.

Welcome to BL

That's a hell of a lot you've been through, I am sorry.

I used to drive my father to the VA, he is also in chronic pain. It was a routinely infuriating experience for him (and myself by extension, having to calm him down). After the opioid crisis, it seems that people with chronic pain and previous drug users were the ones ultimately punished. The nurses and doctors see you as a "problem" instead of a "patient". Zero compassion. Shit rolls downhill I guess.

Is your main goal to be able to manage pain effectively, without becoming inebriated?

There are some options you could look at. Kratom, for example, could be used to supplement the script you prefer. Although, this could be problematic as it does act as an a2 adrenal agonist. It could interfere with any heart medications, or your heart in general.

There are some things you could look at, though.

Also I believe all oxycodone is HCL, but there are differences among the various generic brands. Many people complain about their potency or inferior effect, it's fairly often discussed here. Pharma says there shouldn't be a difference, but there is.

Welcome to BL
Welcome to the group ...
Thank you both. Doctors lately do seem to view us like a problem lately.

To Snafu, I dont know anymore. The bump in pozitivity I suppose isnt bad from my medication. Right now Im tolerating the pain somewhat with the new script, but its definitely not oxy. I did some extra digging and the pharmacy from my old va facility just doesnt label it as HCL, so it SHOULD be the same.

The new stuff is from Rhodes Pharmaceuticals. They had a big recall in 2020, and even a group on facebook about their pills not being effective, or giving weird side effects. Im on a temp dosage now (va bureacracy) so once I have the full month supply, Im going to try and test one of these pills (ill cut in half, and once i know its a bad one), to see what really is in them. I feel my heart squeezed, some palpitations, as if withdrawal almost. Doesnt add up. One pill was okish, at least relative to this batch.

Im tempted to call an attorney. (thank God for the autocorrect here, though if typing blurred, so if something is off, im sorry).
Been on these for ten years, without a dose increase for 7 years, so it was time. I wanted to cut down, but at this point, to me it seems rational that to find some h, or alternative pharmacist lol. Sure, risky, but i wouldnt have to worry about all this and the long drives. All this war on drugs, and in particular opiates, just makes it worse. Mistakes happen, sometimes you run short, but they literally told me its more important than my heart, while im waiting on the results of a stress test, for the bypass. FML

It makes me think they want people on heroin, that and getting rid of vets.

Hope you and yours are feeling better though, again thank you for answering me. Expected some hate for my old line of work lol..though not really. Good people here, though some posts are funny...the "will x get me high" questions.

C

Hey all

Been following this site for a LONG time for many reasons. Words fail me as my life has.

Short story, Im broken. Very broken. Had cancer, intestinal and brain. Beat both, yay, right? Broken my neck (fusion), and lower back mutiple herniated disks. Agony has been the norm, waking up screaming, so pain management doctors have been a norm. Recently had a heart attack and will need a bypass. Because, being 40, this is all normal!

I have been against drugs, for me. I like to be clear headed. I was also LE (worked for THAT agency....I can already hear the comments lol). At this point, I dont care, its not my agency, not my era. Back then, things were different. It was a job, with rules, both sides had them. Its how I made good friends that were batting for the other team lol.

Ive been getting treatment from the VA. Some of you know the horrors that comes with. Ive tried EVERY pill out there. I only found Oxycodon IR to work, while letting me have a clear mind. I did my PhD on that. Everything else, either didnt work, gave me a high where I was one with matrices, or the pain relief was nil.

Been on the same dosage for years, and I was ready to say enough, get off it. Im on Gabapentin too (max dosage, ie 3600. It works, though that took a while until the crazy dreams stopped). These two, allowed me for ten years to function. My back and neck are still bad, to where I cant stand long or do much consistently but, at least, I could live.

I tried something unique (or maybe not). I figured, let me try lifting weights. Its short duration effort, so there would be limited impact on my spine. Did a lot of research from physiotherapists, doctors, read McGill's book the Back Doctor (highly recommend), and came up with a PPL routine. The pump (the pain in the no pain, no gain) allowed me to cut back on meds. It was working, plus I was getting ripped.

All good, until I had the heart attack (heart defect, since birth, that nobody noticed). I lost my lifeline. I was now in pain, back to normal, screaming waking up, grinding my teeth (lost 4 or 5 mollars from grinding in my sleep, bit through two of those molded mouth guards etc).

I go through the routine, and get a good doctor, I thought. I had recent months where I was short. In 10 years, I was never short, but the heart attack messed it up. You would think that gives me SOME leeway. It did not.

I was passed off from VA to VA, like an unwanted pet, but I go to the city (wont say names or places beyond that), and I get an increase. Sure, its not what my plan was, but, you know, pain, will increase stress, which is the opposite of what I need prior to a bypass, with stents not healed up yet and all.

Im lost now, because, the new facility that gave me the increase, to not stress each refill, is more than enough for me, but, their oxycodone is HCL, not IR. Some claim its identical. It is not. I get so fogged up, as if its a bad pot high. Drool, cant think, but no giggles or fun times. Just that heavy fog over your mind. Gone was the light euphoria for 5min, and the pain relief that let me work out, walk, go outside, date, have a life.

So, either I stay on the old dosage, and live with panic attacks every month (that induced two cardiac events so far) or go with the new higher doage that robs me of agency, of a life. I can hardly talk on HCL (or whatever they claim it is, because, its the govt, knowing them, it could be terpentine as far as I know)

I dont have long to live, or alternatively, I could live long, but as a vegetable, in pain, waiting on the next organ to fail. I dont drink (again, being in control, I love racing, building cars, all things that have been taken from me over this HCL bs). So, I come here to learn and stay safe because Im going to ride the horse. I feel that is freedom. Im free from a month gestapo organization, free from being judged and harrassed for my physical appearance, being looked at as a junky. I did everything right, and for what?

Anyway, I wrote a novel. Dont care if Im recognized. Since the heart attack, I lost the will, and its not comming back, at least not like this. Im tired of some yoga pants wearing pharmacist degrading me in the hallway, tired of nurses countering doctors, tired of opening up to bureacrats that just dont care at all. At least with a plg, I can go whenever the hell I want and not be stressed.
Do you regret working for LE or have a different outlook on the war on drugs since you left that career? You said you "have been against drugs", does that mean you still are outside of the context of relief of your pain?

Do you regret working for LE or have a different outlook on the war on drugs since you left that career? You said you "have been against drugs", does that mean you still are outside of the context of relief of your pain?
Lot has changed from then to now, and most of it before I got mangled up to need meds myself.
My best friend was a user for fun, and an amateur pharmacist, with scruples though (and the funniest cats). When I say against drugs, I mean more in terms of medicine. They are so quick to throw pills, procedures and crap at a patient before most things. Its sick.

As far as what people do with their own bodies? Im a libertarian (old school sense), so do what floats your boat. I do mind when somebody uses programs over and over on taxpayer money. Bro, learn your limit or stop lol. But, to be honest, my friend (RIP) and this place showed the non-engarde side to drug users.

I wont lie and say "I dont enjoy the euphoria" I mean...Im human. But, to also defend my guys back in the day. We couldnt care less about whatever was in a dudes pocket. Wasnt worth the time and whoever made that kind of bust would be looked down on. A LOT. We didnt even care about weed. Think Super Troopers. They got that very correct. Before the blank blank 13 guys came on scene, there was always a sort of honor. Off duty was off duty, and we could respect that.

Other things though...War on Terror? Yeah...those rabbit holes run deep.

We couldnt care less about whatever was in a dudes pocket. Wasnt worth the time and whoever made that kind of bust would be looked down on. A LOT. We didnt even care about weed. Think Super Troopers. They got that very correct. Before the blank blank 13 guys came on scene, there was always a sort of honor. Off duty was off duty, and we could respect that.

Apogee Software 3D GIF by Apogee Entertainment

Sounds like justification to me, and it's funny you ascribe to be a libertarian despite being a former fed. I guess those yummy gov dollars are nice when they fit in your own back pocket...

Expected some hate for my old line of work lol
We have plenty of LE here. They just don't announce their presence.... always watching 👀

Bluelight's mission is harm reduction, which is available to everyone of all backgrounds, no questions asked.

Last edited:
Sounds like justification to me, and it's funny you ascribe to be a libertarian despite being a former fed. I guess those yummy gov dollars are nice when they fit in your own back pocket...
Why bait the man into an honest answer and then berate him?

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Frankly, I enjoy unique and honest perspectives.

Nobody forced him to work for the DEA, he didn't have to admit that he did. Working for the state in general disgusts me and I won't pretend it doesn't.

Nobody forced him to work for the DEA, he didn't have to admit that he did. Working for the state in general disgusts me and I won't pretend it doesn't.
If someone breaks into your home and hurt your family you'll be calling them I'm sure.
Most go into these jobs when they're young and thinking they are helping.
No need to hate on them

I noticed that you and the OP joined this site within a day of each other. But I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

Carry on.

Welcom to BL @HateMe , that's one hell of backstory mate

I also have only ever found oxy to be the only opiate that can relieve pain when it gets to a certain level, and that also allows me to remain functional enough to work (Mine are IR btw, but also say "Oxcycodone Hydrochloride" on the box so I'm not really sure what you're getting at there

If someone breaks into your home and hurt your family you'll be calling them I'm sure.
Most go into these jobs when they're young and thinking they are helping.
No need to hate on them
Hah, here in the US, law enforcement has no legal requirement to render aid to American citizens. Ask those children from Uvalde or Parkland whether they felt safe with the help of the boys in blue.

Plus it's not like a federal agent would be responding to my call if I was under duress. It would be a local police entity and I would exhaust absolutely all of my options before doing so.
If you think *most* go into LE these days because of some starry eyed optimism I would patently disagree as well. The position of lets say a basic beat cop is one of serious authority with very little actual accountability. Time and time again things that would get you or I thrown in a cage for twenty years or more (if we happen to be white) will have them receive a stern talking to and maybe get them fired, before they get re hired somewhere else. Look into qualified immunity for starters. They receive these benefits because all they really are are state enforcers who exist to preserve the status quo and will of the elite minority and spread fear among the chattel. It doesn't matter if they had the sweetest bestest of intentions at the start, every LE agent becomes dirty in some way over time. This happens either with or without their consent over time due to an inherent tribalism and gang mentality. Do you see them leave the position en masse? No, they want their pension, their job stability, the community around them that makes them feel like a heewo! This is how it is in the modern day, back in the post ww2 period it was even more ridiculous, there was a case where NYPD detectives were doing hits for the Mafia! I do not accept the excuse of being naïve, every organization of humans that have committed atrocities have waved it around like a raver with a glowstick.

I personally think the entire model of the modern nation state is inherently flawed and administration of self defense, punishment and investigation of crime should be done on a much smaller, more human level. I think positions of authority like that should never be a career, but an act of service that is rotated among the most honorable members of the community through elections. Alas this is extremely unlikely to happen and so sure, there has to be the existence of law enforcement as it is on some level. But I will never support it or act as though it isn't a glorified gang when the rot outweighs the good.

LE is and has always been the biggest enemy of drug users, who are obviously very distinct from violent criminal elements but are treated exactly the same. But I won't be rude to this guy or anything anymore, scouts honor.

Hah, here in the US, law enforcement has no legal requirement to render aid to American citizens. Ask those children from Uvalde or Parkland whether they felt safe with the help of the boys in blue.

Plus it's not like a federal agent would be responding to my call if I was under duress. It would be a local police entity and I would exhaust absolutely all of my options before doing so.
If you think *most* go into LE these days because of some starry eyed optimism I would patently disagree as well. The position of lets say a basic beat cop is one of serious authority with very little actual accountability. Time and time again things that would get you or I thrown in a cage for twenty years or more (if we happen to be white) will have them receive a stern talking to and maybe get them fired, before they get re hired somewhere else. Look into qualified immunity for starters. They receive these benefits because all they really are are state enforcers who exist to preserve the status quo and will of the elite minority and spread fear among the chattel. It doesn't matter if they had the sweetest bestest of intentions at the start, every LE agent becomes dirty in some way over time. This happens either with or without their consent over time due to an inherent tribalism and gang mentality. Do you see them leave the position en masse? No, they want their pension, their job stability, the community around them that makes them feel like a heewo! This is how it is in the modern day, back in the post ww2 period it was even more ridiculous, there was a case where NYPD detectives were doing hits for the Mafia! I do not accept the excuse of being naïve, every organization of humans that have committed atrocities have waved it around like a raver with a glowstick.

I personally think the entire model of the modern nation state is inherently flawed and administration of self defense, punishment and investigation of crime should be done on a much smaller, more human level. I think positions of authority like that should never be a career, but an act of service that is rotated among the most honorable members of the community through elections. Alas this is extremely unlikely to happen and so sure, there has to be the existence of law enforcement as it is on some level. But I will never support it or act as though it isn't a glorified gang when the rot outweighs the good.

LE is and has always been the biggest enemy of drug users, who are obviously very distinct from violent criminal elements but are treated exactly the same. But I won't be rude to this guy or anything anymore, scouts honor.
Take your hate short story somewhere else

@MantisGod while many of us will understand your sentiments it's important to realise that this is a harm reduction forum and is pretty much all-inclusive.

A new member introduction thread is not the place to start throwing shade at people, I'm sure you understand

This is like a Sovereign Citizen Manifesto.

Lots of good points,and things I wish could be discussed openly in public, or at least by politicians. LE isnt the problem, but the politician, or the head of an agency with politican aspirations.

Didnt want to cause arguments though. I believe in being upfront. Do I agree with things? No. I joined the military after 911. Do I agree with what happened in Iraq? Hell no. But, we grow, and learn. Yes, I was young. My initial choice for LE was, that it was fun, outdoors, and every day was different.

Also, my attitude was to always remember WHY I was doing it. When I was doing patrol, it wasnt about tickets, but getting people to not drive like idiots and hurt others (been there, but again, voting blocks count. Cant make boomers reexamine for their license, so they harm others, but thats another issue).

Also, you can hate me, just dont call me late to dinner. We can learn from each other, and culturally make changes we can see in the future, or tribalize. Plenty of that as it is. And yes, I am a libertarian. If you dont harm others, couldnt care less what you do or believe. Taxation is theft. Voting is not (was not) a constitutional right, etc.

But if you want to argue, sure, we can, but does it help? This entire experienced being injured made me realize how easy a person can slip. Overregulating, leads to this (as an aside, I did get the old medication, with an increase, after a lot of driving and telling the docs this and that. I was lucky...for now. Others arent, and thats a whole new light to look at addiction, even if its for medical use.

If anything, you could accuse me of being a simp for the govt, which I believed less corrupt (long story, involving background from a former commie country). Ironically its guilty moms that cause so many restrictions, from gun bans, prohibition, even banning automotive chemicals (then complain why repair costs go up), but instead of being parents, they demand action, now bla bla. I opened up a thread regarding this, again, with the goal of opening discussion, for the purpose of shifting the culture.

I dont have a problem with drug us. I do have a problem with a mugger, a driver under the influence and so on. I think we all do.

Again, thank you for the welcomes. Not going anywhere (also, dont know who Mantis is. I chose now, because of the stigma I mention. My immediate problem pushed me, and I dont regret it, nor do I hide it.

C

If I could comment on your original question (sorry I'm a little late to the party)...

I crushed a few vertebrae 7 years ago. During the first surgery, I coded on the table 8 hours in. Because my back was still open and they had to flip me for 43 minutes of hard CPR, many complications arose. I was a few weeks on the ventilator but my brain and heart came back..mostly 😊
Surgeries 2-4 to repair (two years later), left me sort of able to walk but fused from T10 strait down into my pelvis. I don't have to tell anyone on here about that kind of pain. Lots of dark days...
The opioid crisis has really gooned those of us who desperately need pain control. By the same token, taking pills is a shitty way to live. Forever worrying, feeling like crap because of too much or too little,being high. I get you wanting to maintain a clear head. I quit pills years ago but life has not been fun.

I finally found a new pain doc who not only listened to me but TRUSTED me. Huge validation. I'm in trials now for a pain pump. They used to be kinda dangerous but in the last 30 years great strides have been made. The amount of med used is very small. One concern I had was what would happen if my pump quit working? Would I be put into dangerous withdrawal? This happened when Baclofen was used in the pumps, but that is no longer approved by the FDA. My doc told me it might be like missing 2-4 pills/day,if something did happen to the pump. Definitely no dangerous withdrawal. Here's the part I think you'll love...the meds are dripped directly into your spine, programmed by your pain doc. Because the meds do not cross the BBB, you don't get high. I can attest to this as I had my 2nd trial injection today.
I don't know if this is something you may want to consider, but I'll tell ya'. The first time I felt the incredible relief, I cried and hugged my whole team. I guess for me (I haven't been able to walk for years. I was a runner...), the reward is absolutely worth any risk. Something you can maybe discuss with your Doc

I wish you the best, my friend