• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Double wisdom tooth extraction tomorrow :(

My son's wisdom teeth were impacted (they were cut out in pieces) and he was also but under the same way you were. He was prescribed narcotics and ibuprofen. I recall the oral surgeon saying that almost everyone who opted for local anesthetic instead of twilight sedation profoundly regretted not being put out, so I think you made the right choice. He was in significant pain the later in the day after the anaesthetic fully wore off but he was feeling ok the next day. He said surprisingly that the 800mg ibuprofen worked just as well if not better than the percocet he was prescribed.

As mentioned, the main thing is not to eat solid food for the first couple days and DO NOT SMOKE ANYTHING. Dry socket is extremely painful so avoid that chance. If you happen to get some food in the extraction area then GENTLY flush it out without disturbing the blood clots if you can.

im having oral surgery performed tomorrow morning and am absolutely shitting bricks.

i have a bizarre phobia of peoples hands in my mouth and the horrid crunching sounds and yanking around of your face. the whole procedure erks me.

im looking forward to having my last wisdom tooth extracted but cant wait for it to be over.

ew.

...kytnism...:|

Lucky for me all 4 of mine grew out just fine. You only get a local + some NSAIDS for the pain after.

sadly in this case, i dont live in america.

you get two numbing agents delivered directly to your gum/teeth area and thats it.

theres no followup pain treatment, hence my apprehension <3

sadly in this case, i dont live in america.

you get two numbing agents delivered directly to your gum/teeth area and thats it.

theres no followup pain treatment, hence my apprehension <3

European like me I guess?

Some guy I know got two dry sockets and some kind of infection and he had a hard time convincing his doc to give him some Tramadol (lowest strength obviously)...

Last edited by a moderator:
i prolly wont take a damned thing. i just want backup if all hell breaks loose and im a red hot mess; as im expected at work the following morning <3

thankyou <3

I was awake for nearly my entire wisdom tooth surgery.

The fucking asshole did not seem to understand that a high opiate tolerance means that I require a fuckload more opiates (I was on Suboxone at the time, although I had taken a break from it for several days by using the lowest possible dosage of hydrocodone and oxycodone I could take without withdrawling). They put me out using a combination of propafil, midazolam, and demerol.

It was the pain that woke me up, because the dosage of demerol was insufficient when up against my opiate tolerance. But, instead of giving me the demerol I needed, they kept shooting me up with more midazolam, which would put me out for like a minute or two, after which I would wake up screaming "emmmerallll" to no avail, totally hopeless and experiencing some of the worst pain of my life as I can both feel and hear the dentist using a drill to grind my bottom wisdom tooth into a pulp so that it can be suctioned out later. Holy fuck. UOENO.

When the surgery was done, I just walked off the table without stumbling. I was barely buzzed anymore. Apparently, it was the first time they had ever had a patient wake up, and they were bemused by the fact that I was able to walk off of the operating table of my own power, without so much as stumbling. I was practically sober (even though I did not, at the time, have any tolerance to benzos, I have a penchant for metabolizing them very quickly).

Anyways, before somebody retorts with it, breaking through the Suboxone was not a problem. I had already been on other opioids for three or four days in preparation for the fact that the anesthesia I would undergo involved a demerol injection. As a favor to me (I made him aware that I was an opiate dependent with a very high tolerance), he shot me up with the demerol first so I could get the fuck out of the withdrawls I was experiencing, which was nice, but he fucked that all up by giving me the wrong fucking drug over and over again. I had enough midazolam in my system, I was on propafil for fucksake (although it could be that 30 minutes had already passed before I woke up the first time), I needed demerol and the guy just would not listen to me.

I'm still mad. One of the most painful experiences of my life. Not the most painful, but top 3 for sure. The good news is, I was never really in serious pain after the surgery. The dosage of opiates I was able to acquire was adequate, and I went back on my suboxone two days after the surgery with no problems. So, at least that worked out.

^ Wow that sounds like my worst nightmare, i havn't been back to the dentist since 2010..

I had all four of my wisdom teeth pulled out in one surgery; i specifically told them to knock me out with an IV anesthetic. First time i've ever had a substance injected into my vein, all i remember is a couple of seconds of.. 'oh i think i feel it..' then a total blackout, i felt like i woke up two seconds later. That was a strange an hilarious experience.. but the pain the following days was insurmountable..

Just a quick note that many of the posts in this thread have been edited or removed. It is felt that Second Opinion is likely the best area of discussion for this topic, however that brings with it rules not allowing asking questions about drugs, suggesting them, or glorifying them. Factual information related to what drugs were administered during the various procedures should be okay.

Thanks to everyone for their cooperation going forward.

yah, hope all is well with you, Lady K :) (I'm sure it will be, you're a very tough lady)

anyways - I just want to give some people out there hope that one can get their wisdom teeth removed without any local anesthetic. I got my three wisdom teeth removed with no IV drugs, the only drug I used to help me was their nitrous oxide. I was going through an entire year to where I was vehemently, philosophically, opposed to putting any opiates/IV drugs in my body

the experience was a bit rough - yes, but the ordeal was most certainly attainable. afterwards I took nothing more strong than ibuprofen (for swelling)

I'm just saying there is hope out there for people who want to take an alternative route

I've had all my wisdom teeth and a 12th year molar extracted. I'm glad that I was put under full anaesthesia for both. I have a 10 second memory of deep vibrations and something doing a lot of crunching. I wouldn't want any more of a memory than that. Recovery was very rapid in both cases, and I didn't really need post-op opioids for pain.

Dry sockets are no joke. It should be known that sucking on a straw is about as bad as smoking stuff.

ebola

I had three of my wisdom teeth removed one by one, with one more to go.

If I did it all at the same time (they'd have to knock me out) it would have cost around 1.5k$, but individually it only cost around 100$ each. (I'm from Southeast Asia).

My top wisdom teeth are impacted so I had the misfortune of feeling them crack those and pry them apart from my gums, which got a good beating. But I was generally alright. I would sometimes ask for more local anaesthetic.

My dentist has a naturalist leaning so made me take garlic pills a couple days before and only a weak antibiotic. I had the syringe for irrigation as well. I ate a lot of vegetable-fruit smoothies, actually. At first I was eating ice cream but that gave me problems because I had to brush my teeth thoroughly after as I was afraid the wound would get infected. So i decided that veg juices made my mouth less gross.

Also my recovery was only slow in one, because I was doing a lot of shit at the time and my immunity was shot

thankyou so much for your well wishes <3

my phone exploded this morning with gorgeous messages from bluelighters, before, during and following the procedure.

it was much more straight forward than i could have imagined. i met with the maxillo/facial/cosmetic/oral surgeon who told me a story and was more concerned about inviting a colleague to dinner last night and making a $30 salad at home as opposed to dining out. the anesthetist was wonderful also, and i didnt feel nor comprehend anything (regardless of my rebel urge to fight it :p).

i have sixteen stitches in my gums and will need time to heal, but was given a lovely IV dose of fentanyl to tide me over until tomorrow, and a light dose of codeine for any ongoing pain.

i personally, having wisdom teeth removed in a private surgery, to then having them removed in a private hospital, would much rather the hospital. its so much less stressful, pain free and the duty of care that follows is well worth the money.

thanks again for all of the beautiful messages and photos. theyre priceless and wont be forgotten. <3