• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Double wisdom tooth extraction tomorrow :(

gm777

Bluelighter
Tomorrow at 2:30 I'm having 2 of my wisdom teeth extracted. They are both broken off about halfway and have been giving me unbelievable amounts of pain, so I am facing my fears and having them yanked out. I chose to be put to sleep by IV. I have never been in any type of surgery in my life unless you count stitches. This will also be the first time I have been put to sleep as well. I am quite anxious about this whole procedure if I'm being honest, but I know it will be worth it in the long run.

How many of you guys and gals have been through this before? What can I expect as far as recovery time, swelling, and foods I will be able to eat? Is there any advice that y'all can give me based on your experiences? Thanks in advance....

gm777

Last edited:
My advice would be to not worry!!! I had some of the same concerns, but it really wasn't that big of a deal and I had all 4 taken out. Although it's not advisable I was eating chicken the next day, albeit carefully lol. Just make sure you don't get food stuck in the holes and you should be just fine. Oh, and don't smoke or suck through straws because that increases the risk of getting dry socket.

Let me start off by saying having my wisdom teeth removed was one of the worst experiences of my life. I also chose the IV, good choice. For me it was all 4, and instead of pulling them out they had to b surgically cut out. When I came out of surgery my whole face was swollen about 3 times its normal size. I was in extreme pain for the rest of the day and the next day, since I was 'in recovery' at the time I was only given tramadol for a painkiller. I quit smoking a month before the procedure to ensure I didn't get dry sockets. My face was so swollen for the next week I couldn't go out in public. About a week after the surgery my bottom two sockets starting hurting unbearably. Maybe some of the worst pain I've ever had in my life. I went back to the oral surgeon and was told I had dry sockets (though I had not smoked). They packed them with clove and gauze but they continued bothering me for the next couple weeks. About a month later, the excrutiating unbearable pain came back again. I went back to the surgeon and was told my dry sockets were infected. I was given the antibiotic clyndamycin, which I had an allergic reaction to and ended up in the ER with extreme chest pains and a horrible rash. Eventually my sockets healed and I turned out ok.

My little brother had the same procedure done soon after I did and he had a terrible experience too. He was in high school at the time and he missed 3 weeks of school because his face was so swollen.

I'm not saying this to scare you, but you should be aware of what could happen, I did whatever I did to prevent those terrible side effects and they happened anyways. I attribute it to my oral surgeon being a complete retard though, because no one else I've talked to has ever had any bad complications like me and my brother and we had the same doc.

I've only had one removed (with nitrous) that was located up in my sinuses and also had a cyst around it but the pain afterwards wasn't bad. Three advil and a Tylenol every 6 hours kept most of the pain away I never even had to take the hydrocodone that was prescribed. My biggest issue was I wasn't able to eat anything other than pudding, yogurt and shit like that for a week. I ended up losing 15lbs that week, not good when you are already underweight. :\

Let me start off by saying having my wisdom teeth removed was one of the worst experiences of my life. I also chose the IV, good choice. For me it was all 4, and instead of pulling them out they had to b surgically cut out. When I came out of surgery my whole face was swollen about 3 times its normal size. I was in extreme pain for the rest of the day and the next day, since I was 'in recovery' at the time I was only given tramadol for a painkiller. I quit smoking a month before the procedure to ensure I didn't get dry sockets. My face was so swollen for the next week I couldn't go out in public. About a week after the surgery my bottom two sockets starting hurting unbearably. Maybe some of the worst pain I've ever had in my life. I went back to the oral surgeon and was told I had dry sockets (though I had not smoked). They packed them with clove and gauze but they continued bothering me for the next couple weeks. About a month later, the excrutiating unbearable pain came back again. I went back to the surgeon and was told my dry sockets were infected. I was given the antibiotic clyndamycin, which I had an allergic reaction to and ended up in the ER with extreme chest pains and a horrible rash. Eventually my sockets healed and I turned out ok.

My little brother had the same procedure done soon after I did and he had a terrible experience too. He was in high school at the time and he missed 3 weeks of school because his face was so swollen.

I'm not saying this to scare you, but you should be aware of what could happen, I did whatever I did to prevent those terrible side effects and they happened anyways. I attribute it to my oral surgeon being a complete retard though, because no one else I've talked to has ever had any bad complications like me and my brother and we had the same doc.

Good god that sounds like a nightmare. How old were you when you had this done? I ask this because you say that you had to have them surgically cut out, and to me that means that they hadn't dropped all the way out of the gums. Is that the case? I am 36 years old and have had mine for many years, and the back two have chipped and broken off causing pain through the exposed nerve. Hopefully they will be able to be pulled with ease without being cut out.

I've only had one removed (with nitrous) that was located up in my sinuses and also had a cyst around it but the pain afterwards wasn't bad. Three advil and a Tylenol every 6 hours kept most of the pain away I never even had to take the hydrocodone that was prescribed. My biggest issue was I wasn't able to eat anything other than pudding, yogurt and shit like that for a week. I ended up losing 15lbs that week, not good when you are already underweight. :\

Yeah, I've already went out and bought some soups, protein shakes, and yogurt to eat. I'm definitely not looking forward to a liquid diet at all.

My advice would be to not worry!!! I had some of the same concerns, but it really wasn't that big of a deal and I had all 4 taken out. Although it's not advisable I was eating chicken the next day, albeit carefully lol. Just make sure you don't get food stuck in the holes and you should be just fine. Oh, and don't smoke or suck through straws because that increases the risk of getting dry socket.

Sounds like you had it pretty easy compared to these other stories for sure. What exactly is a dry socket?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was 19 when I had my procedure done, so that could've been the case. I hope yours goes well

Edit: Dry Socket is when the blood clot in the hole comes out, it's fucking excruciatingly painful

Last edited:
If I recall correctly all of mine were impacted and basically had to be chipped out, but I didn't even need the painkillers they gave me. I guess everyone's case is different, but Deidara's imo sounds like the surgeon might not have been the best. Just make sure you get a good oral surgeon and you should be fine.

Sounds like you had it pretty easy compared to these other stories for sure. What exactly is a dry socket?

Usually as far as things like this you only hear the horror stories for some reason lol. I guess for the rest of the people that it goes ok just don't even give it a second thought.

I had all 4 out at the age of 30. Did it in hospital. 2 of mine were impacted.

Face was pretty swollen for a few days afterwards. I couldn't really eat proper food for almost a week. Yoghurt, smoothies, ice cream - mostly cold stuff, I couldn't really have soup unless it was cooled down quite a lot. I had to get stronger painkillers after day 2 as the codeine from the hospital wasn't enough. Ended up with oxy from my doctor which helped. I pretty much just sat on the couch watching the first 3 seasons of breaking bad.

Had it done on a Monday & was scheduled to go back to work the following Monday. Made it as far as the train station then turned around and went back home. Made it in on the Tuesday, but still felt pretty tired until the end of the second week.

I have heard of people ending up with bruising on their chest as well with the doctor having to lean on them to yank it out. The down side to going under full anaesthetic is that the surgeon may be a little more rough than getting it done in the chair.

i have had 2 of my 4 wisdom teeth removed. one was impacted. i had it done under local anesthetic as i wasn't crazy about the idea of being unconscious form something (relatively). i'm glad i went that route - recovery was pretty quick.

alasdair

If I recall correctly all of mine were impacted and basically had to be chipped out,.

Yep, thats when you have to go to a maxillofacial surgeon and it goes from being a few hundred to 15k+
Hurts like a bitch but I did it without painkillers, in hindsight I should have milked it , but that was before my moral decay.

It was worse once the stitches dissolved that's when things got annoying.

Yep, thats when you have to go to a maxillofacial surgeon and it goes from being a few hundred to 15k+
Hurts like a bitch but I did it without painkillers, in hindsight I should have milked it , but that was before my moral decay.

It was worse once the stitches dissolved that's when things got annoying.

Whoa 15k? Mine was only 2000 if I recall correctly. I don't think I had stitches either, and like I said I didn't even need the painkillers.

^ are you from the US? can't imagine 2000 would get you you an oral maxillofacial surgeon , an anesthesiologist + a nurse or two.

I went private so only payed the excess on insurance so it was like $100 but yeh the insurance payed out the rest. It was well over a decade ago so I don't remember exactly def over 10k tho, but I know it's more expensive in the US so I assume an extra 5k for a good surgeon wouldn't be unrealistic. that's an assumption on my part.

I hope i dont have any widsom teeth holy fuck

I remmeber the dentists saying something about me still having my baby teeth and the real teeth being underneath that or something ridiculous like that

Having root canals done is bad enough, I cant stand medical procedures of any sort at all

interesting thing about 3rd molars (wisdom teeth) is that some people dont need them to be pulled if their head/mouth is big enough lol, i always found that funny...anyways, dont worry about it. you will be fine. the sedation they give is plenty. when i was 15 i had them pulled bc they were holding down my 2nd molars, they gave me gas and an iv with an opiates and a benzo, and i think maybe something else...seems like forever ago. but basically i remember geeking out from the n2o then the iv drip started and next thing you know im waking up all disoriented. luckily i had lamost no swelling or after pain, the teeth came out perfectly tiny root tips and all. the only thing to be mindful of is the sockets and your stitches...dont eat food that wont dissolve on its own, like salad and things similar. go with milk shakes and baby food for a week or so (obv you can eat pretty soon after the procedure, but i said fuck it this is a reason to crush mashed potatos and milkshakes for a week lol. since its your mouth there is a high blood supply and the natural bacteria makes it heal very quickly. the stitches will dissolve in a few weeks, but may ended up getting pulled on your follow up visit if they are still there, mine were.

also be careful with your pain meds lol...i got 10mg vicodens and it was my first intro to opis...the rest as they say is history. good luck tho man, you will be fine. just have someone there to take you home (required i think) and buy you a milk shake. no straw tho, you dont want to apply suction to your mouth as it can pop the sutures and dont smoke anything bc it can cause a dry socket. from what i hear its super painful. once the sockets heal they will give you a little water syringe to clean out the holes when youre done eating. kinda gross some of the stuff that will come out of there, esp if they had to go deep to get them out.

i had it done under local anesthetic as i wasn't crazy about the idea of being unconscious form something (relatively). i'm glad i went that route - recovery was pretty quick.

alasdair

^my thoughts exactly...I shouldn't have stressed at all.

I got there around 2:00PM, filled out my paperwork, and by 2:15PM I was sitting in the chair. The 2 nurses started me on the gas at first for around 20 minutes or so, it could have been longer. As I sat there in the chair, the office manager kept having me sign different forms which I found rather odd. Why not have me sign when I was standing up? Anyway, the doctor came in, asked how I was feeling from the gas. I told him okay I guess, I can't really notice any difference. He turned up the gas, then started an IV, and once that was ready he said here's a little something to help you relax, a Patron Margarita lol. I'm pretty sure it was Versed.

At that point, of course I started to relax, and as they asked me questions I found myself slurring a bit. Maybe 5 minutes went by, and he asked if I was ready for anesthesia. I said yes let's get these things out. Basically, the next thing that I remember was waking up hearing a nurses voice talking to me. As I was listening to her speak, there were these beautiful blurry red ribbons curling in front of my face. In retrospect I realize that these were 2 tubes sucking blood out of the back of my mouth lol, but at the time I couldn't have cared less.

After that, I walked to the recovery area and sat down in a recliner and stared at the floor for probably 10 minutes or so while my friend pulled her truck to the back door. According to her, I was back there for only 57 minutes. I had a mouth full of gauze and couldn't speak at that point, but other than that, I was just tired and groggy. Once the numbing wore off later on in the night, I had a tiny amount of pain, but mostly just an irritation from the stitches in both sides making it feel like I needed to brush my teeth. I never had any swelling at all and actually worked the next 2 days before taking 2 off. I am in sales, and had no problem talking and performing my job. I would say that around 3 days I was confident enough to eat solid foods again and at 5 days I was running at 100% again.

I'm so glad that I chose to be put to sleep as there was nothing to worry about at all. This guy was obviously a talented surgeon, but I got pretty lucky finding him. I was desperate, in total agony, and the only reason I chose him is that he was the only one that would perform an extraction on a Friday afternoon. All other oral surgeons in my area take Fridays off. After all was said and done, I only had to pay around $200 and my insurance covered the rest. The temporary discomfort from this surgery paled in comparison to the constant agony of 2 broken teeth. How in the hell people dealt with tooth pain before modern advances in medicine is beyond me. I guess that's why everybody looked so miserable in those black and white photos. My procrastinating stubborn ass should have stopped playing tough guy and had this done this ages ago. I don't know why I have to let things boil over into a crisis before I take action...definitely gotta work on this.

Last edited:
I had all four taken out. I was maybe 12. I can't remember. Whenever they come in. They gave me valium for before I came in then quite a bit of nitrous, and I think an IV drip of something. I can't remember but I may have had a nose thing feeding me a nitrous oxygen mix for the duration. No idea. I was awake but mostly unaware. It was painless, and he was done before I knew it. Felt like a few minutes. I'm pretty sure they were cut out. My recovery went smooth. I ate chicken noodle soup for a few days. Swelling for a week or so. Bruising.

I wonder what cave men did.

Surely its (removal) is not the only way.

Last edited:
I would reccomend against eating solid foods that can go bad.
I managed to get a piece of a hamburger lodged into one of my sockets (had all 4 out. About 19 I think.)
Anyways, it was before they gave me the thing to squirt water into the socket and flush it out, so the beef got nasty and so did my breath for a week.

Aside from waking up on my mom's couch with blood pouring out of my mouth, recovery time was 8-10 hours.
I had taken a week off work and had to call them to ask if I could comeback early because I was bored.

Also I don't know what I said to the nurse right after they woke me up, but it couldn't have been very nice, because she wasn't all that friendly on return visits. I just remember her trying to give me orders and me not liking it.