Admin Attention Double standard with staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

✿Dai₷y✿

Bluelighter
As for senior staff oversight, Captain Herion is not exactly capable of doing what you say TLB.

It's clear you do not intend on taking action in this regard yet have no qualms swiping away members , not even a moment's thought.

It's very sad. I came here and asked you to come back and step in, in this forum a long time ago much to the anger of staff at the time.

I wouldn't ever make the gross assumption that you would ever do anything beyond what senior staff at least want . So it would be a good idea to have people who are at least coherent and not loose cannons in those roles.

A lot of former staff have let us down, you are letting us down just the same as you clearly are here to keep up appearances. Had you had the same genuine interest in the members as you do some staff despite their actions (ch in particular as well as another) maybe it would be obvious and people would have stayed, but you clearly don't really have that care factor anymore. Do you?

"Stop bringing this up here, blah blah blah".

Tlb are you going to respond to the private messages from members ?

Why do you allow your smod to be so above the blua?

Go on let's have the excuses.

Ty for pm jess

I do not mind a post deleted, would mind if I had spent a lot of time on it and all, found his post and many others the epitome of hate speech.

It's normalised and accepted defended behaviour.

ZLcgomm.jpg

That's what comes up Google search of bl.

I am sad not seeing any concern or care factor at all to any issue brought here by members that is seen to be acted upon, private might be different yet not seen.

Harm reduction begins at home and I am really aghast at this point there are just too many ppl just worried about being told off and being defensive to be constructive.

I love bl, you guys are great. Hope you work out your issues, seems an easy fix to me but if not there better be a damn good reason why bl keeps unstable people above their own rules.

I'd LOVE to hear it but better be that good you can't say it . That I would understand.

I'm holding off a bit on replying further here, or in PMs, as several persons have managed to piss me off quite a bit on this subject and it's best not to respond in such a state of mind. With that, I'll be back, here and in PM, at some point.

For public awareness, the expected path for addressing concerns of a staff member acting in appropriately or abusing their authority is open to a few avenues.

For those interested...

First there is simply reporting the post in the thread or private message (RP). Any RP creates a thread that ALL staff can see, and the related staff and sr. staff can discuss it there in front of other members (sometimes helpful) or take it to a private conversation for those involved (also helpful, if the situation calls for it).

Alternatively, anyone can quote the concerning posts and copy-paste them as a PM to a member of senior staff. It can be sent to anyone you feel will listen, but an admin is always the surest bet). With that, the Sr. Staffer has leeway to try and handle it directly, or raise it for discussion with sr. staff or with just admin.

The last method that comes to mind is to simply copy a url to the thread or post(s) and email them to [email protected], as that email account is shared by all admin. Whichever one sees it first has leeway to respond directly or bring it to the admin group for discussion.

= = = = =

All of the above put information in the hands of those running the site. At that point, most likely the issue will be handled 'in house' by the involved staff. It isn't typically played out in public - that's simply not how it is done, for several reasons. Additionally, any private staff conversations leading to any decision may span several days at a minimum. The obvious reason being, the entire site is run by volunteers (even me). As such, communication is wholly dependent upon who is online when and can respond to what. Given the nature of understanding all perspectives, it may take additional time to get enough 'facts' to make a decision. Rather than a rush to action, we work to ensure fairness for all - members and staff alike. With the time involved, the public may not see or hear anything is being done for quite some time - trust in staff, and patience, are required.

The one thing that can, and should, be done immediately is that when such an issue is brought up to a member of staff they let the member know relatively quickly that the message was received and will be handled.* Note, this is not a commitment to do whatever the member is asking for, but to get the right people involved to review and take action if the staff deem it necessary.

Ultimately, if nothing is done about it...that ought to be communicated to the person raising the concern. Similarly, if action is taken, it should be communicated back to the person who raised it, above any publicly visible changes.

*I owe, and have given privately, my apologies in not responding sooner to some of the PMs. I will be honest in stating I took the concerns to heart, but it's a difficult situation to look into and I wished to ensure the rest of the admin were with working as a team on evaluating what they found, and what was deemed a correct action.

Now, to the posts above:

It's clear you do not intend on taking action in this regard yet have no qualms swiping away members , not even a moment's thought.

Silence, publicly and privately, can create the impression poor behaviour is condoned or that the people in charge don't care, or that staff are allowed a double standard. It does not require that one of those be the reality, but in the absence of any feedback on the situation, they remain possibilities. I apologize for the silence that breeds speculation.

I will caveat, as you have been here long enough, you should know about 'BL Time', silence from me is not typically an end but a pause while I'm working to ensure we do what is right.

I will also state you have a way with words which at times can be quite irritating. To write that statement as assertion, as if it were fact, begs if you know me or are simply trying to push buttons for a response. If I'd have responded earlier, the answer would be a direct one and quite unprofessional. But, I've taken the time to try and understand WHY you would say such things, and I blame my silence for it. My silence may not be the only factor, but it is the only one I can control.

A lot of former staff have let us down, you are letting us down just the same as you clearly are here to keep up appearances. Had you had the same genuine interest in the members as you do some staff despite their actions (ch in particular as well as another) maybe it would be obvious and people would have stayed, but you clearly don't really have that care factor anymore. Do you?

Why do you allow your smod to be so above the blua?

Go on let's have the excuses.

It's normalised and accepted defended behaviour.

More of the same. Assumptions and assertions, which are incorrect. We do NOT allow anyone above the rules, nor accept such behaviour. I'd give leeway to someone who doesn't know better. But you know better. That you choose to write such things despite knowing better, it speaks more of you than of me. So be it.

That's what comes up Google search of bl.

I am sad not seeing any concern or care factor at all to any issue brought here by members that is seen to be acted upon, private might be different yet not seen.

Harm reduction begins at home and I am really aghast at this point there are just too many ppl just worried about being told off and being defensive to be constructive.

Let's take a bigger look at this for a moment, can we? Everyone should be well aware this site consists completely of people who have either (ab)used drugs or are still (ab)using drugs. As such, any and all staff are taken from that pool and bring with them the faults and missteps that can come with such decision making. Nobody is perfect, bluelighters especially. But we're all doing the best we can. And, we're trying to help others in the same pool. That's your Harm Reduction. If you think it can be done better, you are very welcome to pitch in and do better. Nobody is stopping you.

Your hyperbole is numbing. 'not seeing any concern or care factor', really? 'to any issue brought here by members', none, ever? Have you seen the massive number of threads in this specific forum alone where we have had concern and care to member issues? Surely you must have, you've been in a good number of them. Or do they not count if it isn't YOUR issue, YOUR concern, and YOUR choice of action, taken immediately?

As for people being 'too worried' we need to expand the context here. Specifically, the accusation is of a Sr. Mod editing posts and making threats, no? How often have you, or anyone, seen this by the hundred or so we have on staff? Is it a site wide problem? Because if it were, I doubt we'd see the forums thriving and member joining every day. Is it a staff wide problem? Again, we'd likely see members driven away, not taken care of in the Harm Reduction forums.

Which, btw, this is all about activity in TL, is it not? I've gotten PMs regarding other areas we'll look into, but the primary focus of this is the recent actions in a specific thread (Abyss) by a specific staff member, in THE LOUNGE? The single forum on the site set aside for messing around, isn't it? I'm not saying any abuse of authority is okay if it's contained to there - it isn't acceptable anywhere, IMO. But it IS the forum where people push eachother's limits on a regular basis. I recall the slogan used to be 'Enter at your own risk', and while much tamer today the mindset remains = 'stay out if you can't take the heat'. Turning that full circle, if a staff member is abusing their authority, they clearly need to be staying out rather than fueling fires.

Taking it to that personal level. Anyone have a thought as to why this staff member might be having such a time of bad judgement? Because we haven't had mods deleting posts or making threats in a long time - to include the staff member in question. Given who we are as a site, a bunch of druggies, it is quite possible there's a dosing problem at work...or mental health issues at work. And while many of us suffer varying degrees of these concerns at different times, we trust staff to stay off site if they are in such a state rather than make bad decisions. If a member does it, we can issue a 48h timeout until they calm down and sober up. With staff we can probably do the same....if someone sees it in time (and there isn't a restriction on warning staff = I'll still need to check that in the new software). The point here is such actions by this person ARE out of the norm. Maybe question why? Rather than wholly focus on how a member is impacted, question what's causing this, and what's happening with the keyboard on the other end?

= = = = = = =

Ya'll want an answer that something is being done, we (the admin collectively, of which I am but one) are still going over it. We're discussing it with the staff member in question and looking into the why, and what's the best course going forward. No decision as yet, and we're still gathering info if any of you feel there is something more we should have for consideration. But that's your update = no decision or action as yet, but it's not ignored either.

You may find my way with words irritating.

I get it.

I find the way that some decisions against members take 3 seconds and minimal effort required as opposed to a seemingly lengthy pattern of behaviour your STAFF (senior and in this case CH) get away with.

This fellow has had excuse after excuse by you and by other admin.

Direct and indirect questions fielded by previous staff who have already had to deal with him hsve been either blatantly ignored or has been shrugged off as "He's a legend, you can't touch him", or "He's been an emotional wreck since all this started".

Let's not forget the parting words some excellent previous staff have walked away from bl saying.

(You'll have to utfse or look in discord, ask them for that)

I'm sorry you find me annoying. I find arguing with bl very annoying as its just a waste of time in the end , by the time a problem has been allowed to get this entrenched its not an easy fix.

Mind you it's only yourself and the other higher staff that could have done something that took effect with him earlier.

Now it seems an insult to members he's allowed to use the warning system because he's drunk, it's not acceptable at all .

Am so supposed to just take that and shrug it off?

Last edited:
I am aware of the threads in here addressing various issues and invite anyone to read them, some got locked straight away, some filled with such responses as Stfu, stop bitching, various unhelpful comments mainly from swillow and those of importance at the time. I do not recall you having been back st bl at the time.

You should be aware that the system as it was was different thrn. There was a place in homeless section ppl could discuss their bans and fate and argue some sort of defense and have it public, others could verify the call made to their fate as just or not as the transparency in decisions was not always clear.

Now that is gone, you did promise transparency would return in a pm , were big on transparency a long time ago.

The previous threads were basically s shitfight and I don't need to re read them but maybe others do to see how useful they were.

I dunno.

I'll leave you to it .

For public awareness, the expected path for addressing concerns of a staff member acting in appropriately or abusing their authority is open to a few avenues.

For those interested...

First there is simply reporting the post in the thread or private message (RP). Any RP creates a thread that ALL staff can see, and the related staff and sr. staff can discuss it there in front of other members (sometimes helpful) or take it to a private conversation for those involved (also helpful, if the situation calls for it).

Alternatively, anyone can quote the concerning posts and copy-paste them as a PM to a member of senior staff. It can be sent to anyone you feel will listen, but an admin is always the surest bet). With that, the Sr. Staffer has leeway to try and handle it directly, or raise it for discussion with sr. staff or with just admin.

The last method that comes to mind is to simply copy a url to the thread or post(s) and email them to [email protected], as that email account is shared by all admin. Whichever one sees it first has leeway to respond directly or bring it to the admin group for discussion.

= = = = =

All of the above put information in the hands of those running the site. At that point, most likely the issue will be handled 'in house' by the involved staff. It isn't typically played out in public - that's simply not how it is done, for several reasons. Additionally, any private staff conversations leading to any decision may span several days at a minimum. The obvious reason being, the entire site is run by volunteers (even me). As such, communication is wholly dependent upon who is online when and can respond to what. Given the nature of understanding all perspectives, it may take additional time to get enough 'facts' to make a decision. Rather than a rush to action, we work to ensure fairness for all - members and staff alike. With the time involved, the public may not see or hear anything is being done for quite some time - trust in staff, and patience, are required.

The one thing that can, and should, be done immediately is that when such an issue is brought up to a member of staff they let the member know relatively quickly that the message was received and will be handled.* Note, this is not a commitment to do whatever the member is asking for, but to get the right people involved to review and take action if the staff deem it necessary.

Ultimately, if nothing is done about it...that ought to be communicated to the person raising the concern. Similarly, if action is taken, it should be communicated back to the person who raised it, above any publicly visible changes.

*I owe, and have given privately, my apologies in not responding sooner to some of the PMs. I will be honest in stating I took the concerns to heart, but it's a difficult situation to look into and I wished to ensure the rest of the admin were with working as a team on evaluating what they found, and what was deemed a correct action.

I got your PM. I'm gonna get back to you on all of that when I have the mental energy. I just can't be bothered with it today I've had a lot going on.

Yeah, Captain's a weird dude, I dig that. I am weird, we all weird but we ain't stupid, right. Right, so what are u tryin to say here u crazy?

nah man, listen ok. He's depressed nothing wrong, we all human being we all feel but we ain't energetic vampires, at least I speak for myself, I don't go around to ruin people's day. He does that intentionally and this is where the insanity part slips in, when you know that what are you doing it's wrong but you're doing it. He's a living loop, his thoughts repeat themselves. Probably without drugs his life would be dull, well man, those money would catch ya good. Travel, get a life, find a girlfriend, a job. Something that keeps you connected to this world but going around screaming left and right, so the whole world can see it's insane, telling that people are poison. People are poison, I don't deny that but if you don't go out and find a cercle which suits you then my man, it's your fault and Zephyrs fault for trying to get you back on track. Dunno man, do something. Words mean nothing, actions do.

Yeah, Captain's a weird dude, I dig that. I am weird, we all weird but we ain't stupid, right. Right, so what are u tryin to say here u crazy?

nah man, listen ok. He's depressed nothing wrong, we all human being we all feel but we ain't energetic vampires, at least I speak for myself, I don't go around to ruin people's day. He does that intentionally and this is where the insanity part slips in, when you know that what are you doing it's wrong but you're doing it. He's a living loop, his thoughts repeat themselves. Probably without drugs his life would be dull, well man, those money would catch ya good. Travel, get a life, find a girlfriend, a job. Something that keeps you connected to this world but going around screaming left and right, so the whole world can see it's insane, telling that people are poison. People are poison, I don't deny that but if you don't go out and find a cercle which suits you then my man, it's your fault and Zephyrs fault for trying to get you back on track. Dunno man, do something. Words mean nothing, actions do.

I think psychic vampire is a very accurate description. Someone who cannot function without knowing they have someone else's attention and sympathy. Does not make a good mod. Especially when they get negative energy and start throwing their mod stick around.

Rather than drag someone thru the mud with accusations (true or not), can we have those with concerns please provide them to any admin, please. CH has stayed out of this public thread - not defending himself, and not to be taken as an admission of anything - but also not pissing petrol on a fire, either. We appreciate people sticking to facts, letting the admin review, and determine if action is required.

Rather than drag someone thru the mud with accusations (true or not), can we have those with concerns please provide them to any admin, please. CH has stayed out of this public thread - not defending himself, and not to be taken as an admission of anything - but also not pissing petrol on a fire, either. We appreciate people sticking to facts, letting the admin review, and determine if action is required.

I've sent you every fact and screenshot I have at my disposal. I haven't responded to your PM because it was essentially this same post I'm quoting. Every person I talk to sounds like a broken customer service robot. "What would you have me do? Please file a complaint with an Admin." I'd like you all to do your jobs and stop letting a petulant child run around doing whatever he likes while shrugging your shoulders. I've told the story over and over and over to multiple staff members in PM and threads. This is shameful.

You all keep asking me what I'd like you to do? I'll be frank. Demote him or at least ACKNOWLEDGE that this is a problem, apparently I can't even get that far with any if you. I'm extremely disappointed in this whole situation. I know for a fact that you all know this is a systemic issue. Multiple people have told me that all this has happened before albeit in broad terms.

Last edited:
I've sent you every fact and screenshot I have at my disposal.

You've provided us ONE screenshot of a warning, issued to a different member (which as we told you, was quickly reversed). One screenshot, that's it. The rest, is pointing to deleting posts in a thread he doesn't moderate = the admin have made a copy and are undeleting posts for review.

You have something more?

EDIT: My mistake. The screenshot is of a deleted post (one of several of other people's post that didn't need deleting). Not of a warning to someone else.

Last edited:
You've provided us ONE screenshot of a warning, issued to a different member (which as we told you, was quickly reversed). One screenshot, that's it. The rest, is pointing to deleting posts in a thread he doesn't moderate = the admin have made a copy and are undeleting posts for review.

You have something more?

EDIT: My mistake. The screenshot is of a deleted post (one of several of other people's post that didn't need deleting). Not of a warning to someone else.

It should be 9 separate pictures unless something got fucked up.

I understand that SOME of the damaged was reversed, but I don't think it should've happened at all.

It should be 9 separate pictures unless something got fucked up.

You have access to the same PMs I do on this. You can check for yourself. However, if they are just pics of posts that were deleted, just say so and don't worry it as we already recovered those. If it's something else, gimme.

I understand that SOME of the damaged was reversed, but I don't think it should've happened at all.

Agreed.

Captain H is an asset to Bluelight. If he wears his heart on his sleeve, then so be it. This site is part of his life as it is to many of us. Being on staff requires a vigilant professional conduct, yet that does not require a tampering of ones personality. I would like to see an example of these accusations, because I would be no less than shocked to learn of him intentionally disrespecting anyone or the rules of the site as a whole.

This site is a reflection of real life. We are flawed people, living in a realm of worldly and self-induced harm. Captain H cares. I am certain that throughout his many years of assistance to people on the edge he has directly attributed the prevention to of many of our names being added to the BL Shrine.

Do your thing, Captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.