• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Dosage of valium for me to not have any anxiety at all about flying?

adam2893

Greenlighter
I take 7.5mg daily already for panic disorder, it doesn't eliminate my anxiety but it makes me able to at least eat (I have a massive phobia of vomit), I have never gone over that dosage. I am just wondering, what dosage of valium should I take so I don't give a fuck at all about the 14 hour plane flight or motion sickness? I am so scared I am nearly ready to cancel my trip that I've spent thousands on, so any help would be great.

As you probably already know, everyone reacts differently to medications, so what is an adequate dose for one person may not be enough (or may be too little) for another person. You really need to figure out what’s a good dose of Valium for you, preferably with the help of your doctor. I assume you have a prescription for the Valium, so why not ask your doctor this question? If you don’t have a prescription, please be careful. You really don’t want to end up taking too much of something on an airplane and having a bad reaction.

Since you’re already taking 7.5 mgs. Valium per day, I’m fairly sure that you can take a 10 mg. tablet safely. Lots of people take 10 mg. Valium for sleep or for anxiety problems. Try not to worry so much about the flight itself, and instead try to focus on the things you’ll enjoy doing once you arrive at your vacation destination.

As you probably already know, everyone reacts differently to medications, so what is an adequate dose for one person may not be enough (or may be too little) for another person. You really need to figure out what’s a good dose of Valium for you, preferably with the help of your doctor. I assume you have a prescription for the Valium, so why not ask your doctor this question? If you don’t have a prescription, please be careful. You really don’t want to end up taking too much of something on an airplane and having a bad reaction.

Since you’re already taking 7.5 mgs. Valium per day, I’m fairly sure that you can take a 10 mg. tablet safely. Lots of people take 10 mg. Valium for sleep or for anxiety problems. Try not to worry so much about the flight itself, and instead try to focus on the things you’ll enjoy doing once you arrive at your vacation destination.

^ Good advice and I totally agree. I used to get queasy and anxious sometimes when flying especially with layovers. Just a suggestion because valium can only do so much: Adam, have you ever tried medications for motion sickness? I found Dramamine very useful for that purpose.

I would suggest hyoscine (scopolamine). Nasa made it in nasal spray form to combat gravity sickness and nausea. Taken orally one pill helps regulate healthy blood circulation.

This is tough. As we've covered already, everyone is going to react differently to different drugs. It's also difficult to express verbally/textually the true nature of your panic or anxiety. Right off the bat, we're starting from a position of having to contend with some hefty variables. There are options more appropriate than Diazepam (Valium) for dealing with flight-anxiety i.e. shorter-acting ones.

I have a few questions for you. Are you flying alone? Have you ever flown successfully? Do you have a doctor prepared to write your prescriptions if asked? What's the highest dose of Diazepam you've taken in a sitting before and what was the result?

^ Good advice and I totally agree. I used to get queasy and anxious sometimes when flying especially with layovers. Just a suggestion because valium can only do so much: Adam, have you ever tried medications for motion sickness? I found Dramamine very useful for that purpose.

I'd take dramamine but I'm scared that the drowsiness would interact with the valium.

This is tough. As we've covered already, everyone is going to react differently to different drugs. It's also difficult to express verbally/textually the true nature of your panic or anxiety. Right off the bat, we're starting from a position of having to contend with some hefty variables. There are options more appropriate than Diazepam (Valium) for dealing with flight-anxiety i.e. shorter-acting ones.

I have a few questions for you. Are you flying alone? Have you ever flown successfully? Do you have a doctor prepared to write your prescriptions if asked? What's the highest dose of Diazepam you've taken in a sitting before and what was the result?

I'm flying with my mother and fiance, I've never flown at all before and yeah my doctor have me a script and told me to take as much valium as needed. The most I've taken during one day is 15mg but it was spread out in 5mg dosages throughout the day, I was really sick and in hospital at the time so I don't remember what it felt like, I have taken 7.5mg daily for 2 years but it only lowers my anxiety into a semi-manageable panic but doesn't help that much.

I've never had motion sickness from a car or a cruise ship so I don't even know if I'll get it from a plane. I've heard it's rare in big planes like what I'm going on compared to cars and ships.

Last edited:
If you do take dramamine you might be better off taking diphenhydramine (benadyrl) instead. Because, dramamine is diphenhydramine + chloroxanthine* i think either way it is related to caffeine and is a stimulant which is designed to counter act the mild sedative effects of diphenhydramine.

I believe the antimotion sickness effects of diphenhydramine and scopolamine are due to antagonism of the muscarinic acetylcholinergic receptors.

One might want to be careful not to overdue diphenhydramine for its either antihistamine mild sedative or antimuscarinic antimotionsickness effects is the antag of mACh also produces effects similar to stimulants like increased heart rate, pupil dialation, flushing ect.

OP, I'm glad to hear that you're flying with your significant other as this is really going to work in your favor. The thing is, if you have someone who can help you and care for you if shit hits the fan, it enables you to take more Benzodiazepines with less fear of catastrophe. If one is flying alone, a blackout is a very dangerous thing to be in. Not only could you make a fool of yourself, but if you got really crazy you could end up getting tackled by an air marshal.

If your flight is not for a little while, I would suggest what a lot of other folks would suggest, taking a fairly large dose of Diazepam and to see how it effects you. Is your anxiety gone? See how much Diazepam it takes to remove your anxiety and then use that to determine how much you will use to get on the plane.

OP, I'm glad to hear that you're flying with your significant other as this is really going to work in your favor. The thing is, if you have someone who can help you and care for you if shit hits the fan, it enables you to take more Benzodiazepines with less fear of catastrophe. If one is flying alone, a blackout is a very dangerous thing to be in. Not only could you make a fool of yourself, but if you got really crazy you could end up getting tackled by an air marshal.

If your flight is not for a little while, I would suggest what a lot of other folks would suggest, taking a fairly large dose of Diazepam and to see how it effects you. Is your anxiety gone? See how much Diazepam it takes to remove your anxiety and then use that to determine how much you will use to get on the plane.

Great advice I second every word he said. My additional suggestion would be experimenting combining regular doses of oral valium(10mg) with hyoscine, available in oral tablet form prescribed for nausea, sea sickness, menstrual pain, cardiovascular benefit. Nasa has experimented issuing their astronauts nasal hyoscine (scopolamine) spray for gravity sickness and the trials were beneficial, I believe the practice has been adopted into usage