• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Don't like music when I'm tripping, anyone else?

Wow, really? 8o I can't imagine not listening to music. It's one of the great magical things in existence. The most direct and profound art form IMO.

You're right; most people listen to music. And I have a large collection of krautrock, progressive, art rock, symphonic rock, death/black metal and etc....but haven't listened to a CD in ~4 years. Isolated spot listening on youtube, but that's it. It just got to be too mathematical.

Eh, but I do listen to 1000's ot OTR shows :) And while tripping, there is nothing finer than 'Quite Please' which is Twilight Zone of the mind.

Tom

Sometimes when I am tripping music can be a bit overwhelming as it tends to strike emotional nerves and set a strong atmosphere. Other times I like it a lot and can't get enough of it. I think it really has a lot to do with what kind of trip you are having which could be based on a number of things a few being setting, the state of mind you are in, or the drug taken, as well as the type of music you are listening to. Basically I am just reiterating what everyone else has already said :p

Lately I have been enjoying silence while tripping. Movies are amazing but sometimes I just can't stay focused on the plots being so lost in my own head. Nature is definitely the most preferred atmosphere.

I have to agree with the nature viewpoint as music is out there. Whether the woods of Jersey and Pennsylvania or the Glades down here where the wildlife can be an Orchestra. But again listening to the familiar I know every note coming and somehow thinking ahead of the music is debilitating to the trip.

I always experience this on post-peak period of shrooms. I am a musician and my mind is usually occupied by sounds already. With shrooms, I get these weird industrial electronic beats which I never listen to sober, but psychs seem to encourage this side of creativity in me.

I had a similar experience on 2-CB recently. I tried to listen to music but my mind was just too occupied and I preferred to focus on sounds that my mind was producing.

I agree Fridolin there's a build up of sounds when your coming up on acid that are all the sounds arroud us. When coming up they seem to spin faster and faster and when coming down the exact opposite they seem to wind down.

I agree Fridolin there's a build up of sounds when your coming up on acid that are all the sounds arroud us. When coming up they seem to spin faster and faster and when coming down the exact opposite they seem to wind down.

Yes, I agree about actual sounds around us, but it seems that once the peak is over, my creativity starts manifesting in unimaginable ways, creating these industrial beats out of thin air. It is very interesting to see what my consciousness can create musically, which I would never be able to come up with while sober.

When I'm sober/on other drugs I loooooooove music. When I'm tripping though, even just on, say, 10mg 2C-B, I find music to be way too stimulating/kind of annoying :?

I usually enjoy music while tripping, although it has sound a bit too weird on 2C-B before. Kind of phases all over the place or something.

I always experience this on post-peak period of shrooms. I am a musician and my mind is usually occupied by sounds already. With shrooms, I get these weird industrial electronic beats which I never listen to sober, but psychs seem to encourage this side of creativity in me.

I had a similar experience on 2-CB recently. I tried to listen to music but my mind was just too occupied and I preferred to focus on sounds that my mind was producing.

I can definitely relate to this. Even the most basic sounds in the area around me seem to turn into basslines or weird rhythmic riffs. I couldn't sleep in a friends room once because the sound of the ceiling fan kept setting off awesome compositions inside my head. Wish i could notate it straight from the source somehow haha

Music is probably my favorite activity while tripping. While I enjoy hip-hop a great deal, I find while tripping I generally despise it. A good deal of it is depressing to me and I prefer uplifting tunes when my world is being turned upside down. I find Emancipator is really great while tripping and I enjoy some alternative rock, psychedelic rock, and pop while in this state as well. If I was having a tough time during a trip, I would probably go to music as a first line of defense.

Music is probably my favorite activity while tripping. While I enjoy hip-hop a great deal, I find while tripping I generally despise it. A good deal of it is depressing to me and I prefer uplifting tunes when my world is being turned upside down. I find Emancipator is really great while tripping and I enjoy some alternative rock, psychedelic rock, and pop while in this state as well. If I was having a tough time during a trip, I would probably go to music as a first line of defense.

I saw an Emancipator set recently, I was very impressed, he also had the violin player from Beats Antique playing him him (he opened for them, by the way the Beats Antique show was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced).

I can definitely relate to this. Even the most basic sounds in the area around me seem to turn into basslines or weird rhythmic riffs. I couldn't sleep in a friends room once because the sound of the ceiling fan kept setting off awesome compositions inside my head. Wish i could notate it straight from the source somehow haha

When I was a teenager and I'd mow my parents' lawn, every single time the drone of the lawnmower would turn into these perfectly audible, amazingly beautiful organ pieces. I always wanted to try to transpose them but never did.

You're right; most people listen to music. And I have a large collection of krautrock, progressive, art rock, symphonic rock, death/black metal and etc....but haven't listened to a CD in ~4 years. Isolated spot listening on youtube, but that's it. It just got to be too mathematical.

Eh, but I do listen to 1000's ot OTR shows :) And while tripping, there is nothing finer than 'Quite Please' which is Twilight Zone of the mind.

Tom

Branch out man... there are so many kinds of music out there besides various forms of rock and metal. :)

^ It's not only great to rediscover music while under influence but also it is quite amazing to discover new genres/styles that you would normally not listen to. I find electronic music especially appealing while tripping even though I mostly listen to rock in my daily life.

to be honest, I never had a psychedelic which enhanced music so incredibly well as cannabis in my early years of use. once, when I was fifteen, I was outside with headphones and it was snowing, and every snowflake was in time and tune with the music. :D

2C-E never was a music drug for me, made it sound weird. for me, it is all about the physical and visual aspect.

Yeah cannabis is one of the great music enhancers, it makes you feel it so much harder. Great for playing music too.

I hope one day you get to experience the sound-enhancing properties of 2C-E... truly awe-inspiring.

So far I've found cannabis, LSD, and MDMA to be the greatest music enhancers for me

Yeah cannabis is one of the great music enhancers, it makes you feel it so much harder. Great for playing music too.

I hope one day you get to experience the sound-enhancing properties of 2C-E... truly awe-inspiring.
I've taken 2C-E over ten times as far as I remember, in doses ranging from <10mg to >25mg. maybe... ;)

I love listening to psytrance or tribal trance such as Sphongle or Koan when tripping. For me it takes it to a whole new level.

About the strangest thing I have heard was when I was sitting alone in night time quiet with only the sound of a furnace blowing air.
The sound of it gradually morphed into what I could only imagine would be the wild music of the elves played on flutes and synthesizers.

Very strange, and very beautifully haunting.

2C-E is definitely the best psychedelic in that regard.

And I know it's not a psychedelic but one drug that really enhances music for me (moreso than smoking weed) is Valium - I think this is because of its hypnotic effects.

I saw an Emancipator set recently, I was very impressed, he also had the violin player from Beats Antique playing him him (he opened for them, by the way the Beats Antique show was one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced).

Beats antique was blowin' shit up on the first night of hulaween. The music that first night was incredible all around. The Thievery Corp. live band was much better than expected as well.